• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What do you all think ?

karen354

Warren Veteran
Okay I've got Fudge my foster bun not sure I can give him up. He lives outside in a poppy shed & a large enclosure I feel sorry for him because he seems a bit bored... Not sure if to keep him & get a spayed female, as you know My Molly died on Wednesday through having her spayed so could never get another female unspayed.. Fudge still is a bit nervous of us stroking him do you think this would make it more hard to bond him with another female? I can't ever see myself getting another house bun to bond with Bertie I'd feel like I was replacing Molly which i could never do.
Bertie seems happy enough being with just us anyway to be honest he's 17 months but acts like an old man of 80 snoozing all day ..
Karen x

I don`t see why Fudge being nervous of people will make him harder to bond, if anything if you find the right parner for him it may help him become more confident.
I recently bonded Kahlo, my very friendly lionhead with Speckle, who was quite a timid bunny & quite unsure of us humans. The difference in Speckle is amazing. She`s totally devoted to Kahlo & some of his confidence seems to have rubbed off on her. She now comes to the front of the hutch when i go out to them & doesn`t run away when i go to stroke her. :D Also where she`s quite an active bunny this has encouraged Kahlo to do more so it`s worked both ways.
Personally i think if you find fudge a nice confident partner it could really help him come out of himself.

Hope this helps,
Su.x

Thanks Su, I think it'll be nice for Fudge to have someone to play with.. He's got a lot of room to entertain there.. What a great start to fostering the 1st bun I have & I can't give him up :?
I would like to take Fudge somewhere where someone is good with bonding I'm a nervous wreck! I tried Bertie & Molly once & was shaking like a leaf...

cannonwoman said:
I don`t see why Fudge being nervous of people will make him harder to bond, if anything if you find the right parner for him it may help him become more confident.
I recently bonded Kahlo, my very friendly lionhead with Speckle, who was quite a timid bunny & quite unsure of us humans. The difference in Speckle is amazing. She`s totally devoted to Kahlo & some of his confidence seems to have rubbed off on her. She now comes to the front of the hutch when i go out to them & doesn`t run away when i go to stroke her. :D Also where she`s quite an active bunny this has encouraged Kahlo to do more so it`s worked both ways.
Personally i think if you find fudge a nice confident partner it could really help him come out of himself.

Hope this helps,
Su.x

This is exactly like Pippa and MJ - Pippa was very nervous and I didn't know if she would bond ok, but took her along to Bunnyhops (don't know if that's too far for you Karen, but would recommend Kayj). We bonded her with MJ, who is a confident happy to be cuddled bunny, and they were instantly devoted to each other. Now I can pick up Pippa, she comes over for nose rubs and she's generally a more confident bunny too. When I go in the shed she actually runs towards me with MJ which is much nicer than hiding in the hutch :D And to see them cuddled up is fab!

I spayed Pippa at our vets, and luckily she had no complications, but I found the whole experience so worrying and stressful and wouldn't get an unspayed female again, I'd only ever go for females already spayed by the rescue.

I really do think that Fudge would benefit from a wifeybun. As you have said get one thats speyed and maybe a local rescue could bond them for you. I think buns that have had a bad start in life or are shy/nervous do get more confident when in pairs or a group and often are far more relaxed with us two foots.

Did you post some pics of the finished run you were building on the playhouse Karen or have I missed them ? Was looking forward to seeing it all finished.

How long ago was Fudge neutered? It can take a while for their hormones to calm down so maybe he'll get less skittish as he gets older - how old is he?

If it's been at least a couple of months since his neuter, you could bond him with an unspayed female too - it's only really the male that needs neutering for the sake of bonding. Females are neutered for the cancer risk, whereas males are usually more sex-mad if unneutered than girls are, so neutering calms them down when a girl bunny is around, which means she's less likely to turn on him.

None of my 5 girls are spayed - it's not compulsory although it's recommended by a lot of people.

Fudge isn't neauted was planning on only fostering him. I've only had Fudge since New Years eve from a over run rescue..
I had Molly spayed 9th Jan was going to get her recovered then think about getting Fudge sorted ( but as you know my little girl died ).

Ah that's a shame - could the rescue that you're fostering him for get him neutered or let you use their vet? I would guess he/she has a lot of experience so there'd be no need to worry about it going horribly wrong, unless Fudge is old or has a heart condition - both of which the vet will check at the pre-op checkup.

If he's neutered be sure to wait at least 2 months though before introducing him to a female that's unspayed, as he'll still be fertile for that amount of time afterwards.

ooh Jane - I'd forgotten about poor little Evie - her story brought a tear to my eye as I'd just lost Tia the day before - so glad she's recovered! :)

Knew I should dismantle Tia's hutch quick, before I was tempted again :roll:

Oh Eve is a lovely girl.. Fudge is a big lad & it scares me incase he hurts her with her bring small .....

Steph- will take some pics for you to see tomorrow of his house/run..
Still got to finish some paint work off but it's up & running & Fudge loves it.

There are some nice buns on here, don't know if Manchester's too far to travel - maybe have a day out :wink:

You really should get him neutered first though - He will mount even a spayed female incessantly, and she may get cross and attack him.

It will take a couple of months for his hormones to go down afterwards, so I feel a June wedding coming on maybe? :wink:

You really should get him neutered first though - He will mount even a spayed female incessantly, and she may get cross and attack him.

It will take a couple of months for his hormones to go down afterwards, so I feel a June wedding coming on maybe?

I thought I would need to do that first... The only problem is hes still not tame enough to take to the vets. Hes better than he was but you can't get near enough sometimes not even for a stroke.

Same here, maybe we could have a meet up sometime for coffee
That would be lovely. :D

Back