• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Thistle hall

trance

Warren Scout
Hi What do people think of pets at home hutch, Thistle Hall.
I cant decide between this and a hutch with an outside run. The thistle hall looks huge but is it ok as they wont actually be on the floor like an outdoor run?
Does this make sense? :?

I have Thistle Hall for two of my house rabbits. They absolutely love it! It's so big there's plenty of room for them to exercise inside it without the need for a run, but I do still let them have about 1 hour's exercise a day in the hallway. Maybe you could get a pen of some sort, set that up and just sit outside watching them for an hour a night? You could read a book or have a nice glass of wine! :D

AMETHYST

Thistle hall is a 4ft double hutch if I recall correctly. Because of the ramp, the overall floor space is reduced and, particularly with the bed area divider, there is not enough room for a rabbit to stretch out fully.

Being 4 ft in length means that rabbits cannot take the 4 or 5 hops from end to end that gives them comfortable space to stretch their legs (even if you have a run that they have access to sometimes they will still need to move around comfortably). Think about how many steps you can take in a room. Would you be happy living in 2 rooms where you could only take 2-3 steps or less in each? This would be like living in 2 small bathrooms joined together.

For these reasons, I don't think that thistle hall is really suitable for rabbits. Like most hutches available from pet stores, it is built to fit into your car easily - NOT for the welfare of the rabbit. If you wouldn't keep a pair of small dogs in it, don't keep rabbits in it - think of the exercise rabbits normally have in the wild!

Look for a larger hutch - 6 x 3 ft or a 5 x 2 ft double - which gives enough space to move around comfortably. You can find them on ebay, some can be delivered ready-assembled.

Alternatively Greenfields have a supplier for flat-pack large hutches which are very sturdy and can be delivered to your door, email them for further details of the company at contact@greenfieldsrescue.co.uk

When you are buying a hutch remember to look beyond the price. Value for money means that it needs to last the rabbit's lifetime of 10 years or so. Buying the quality of hutches you find in most pet shops (built to be cheap and fit in your car, not to be right for a rabbit) mean it will only be few years before it needs replacing.

Nix said:
Thistle hall is a 4ft double hutch if I recall correctly. Because of the ramp, the overall floor space is reduced and, particularly with the bed area divider, there is not enough room for a rabbit to stretch out fully.

I've been wondering with ramped hutches if the ramp is needed? I have mine in a dog crate with full shelf and they just jump up the gap quite easily and happily...

The usual rule of thumb is a minimum of 6 x2 x2 foot hutch for a pair of average sized bunnies. A permanently attatched run added to that would make an excellent sized accomodation for a couple or rabbits :D

I have a thistle hall, it is in fact 4.5 feet in length. mine do not have a problem with the ramp and I did not put the divider in so plenty of room to stretch out. Mine is open all the time though but do find they love snuggling up upstairs at night despite having a wendy house to roam in as well :lol: :lol: I feel it is better made than some petshop hutches, stronger thicker wire and is very very heavy due to the solid wood sides. It is one of only two recommend by the RWA on sale at pets at home.

I would agree though, would a dog crate be any cheaper if they are being kept indoors :? Having said that, I had a dog crate when Marcel first arrived, I found it a nightmare to clean and trying to keep the hay inside the crate was near enough impossible :lol: :lol: :lol: think I would have been better off with a hutch :lol: :lol: :lol:

Must stress here before I get hammered, my buns are free range, they purely sleep in the wendy house which contains the thistle hall hutch which is permanently open. I do feel that they like the hutch as they are after all, warren animals and feel that they feel safe and secure in a hutch :wink:

Mine are out from 9am untill 8 pm, they are allowed in the garden when they are supervised which is usually all morning whilst cleaning the hutch and around 4ish before tea (obviously more in the spring and summer months :D . They are also free range in the house and stay in the house even if I have to go out.

I really feel that it depends on the size of your rabbits as to whether or not it is big enough :wink:

How big are your rabbits? Sue&Sooty on here has Thistle Hall with a permanent run attached and has 4 lionheads in it and it looks plenty of room for them. You could do the same and attach a run they have permanent access to - I like Thistle Hall too.

On the other hand, I wouldn't buy it for my two, MJ is a 'dwarf' lop but I can only assume that refers to his ears as he's huge! I'm going to get them a 6 x 2 hutch/run from HappyHutch on ebay which is £110, so cheaper than Thistle Hall alone and gives them a big run as well as the hutch, so better value.

the hutch is 4.5 ft in length but is also deeper being 2.5 ft so bigger than the normal 4ft 2 tier hutches.

trance said:
the hutch is 4.5 ft in length but is also deeper being 2.5 ft so bigger than the normal 4ft 2 tier hutches.

As I said, I've stood in front of it and I like it, it looks nice and spacious (needs more bolts on I think) but it would depend on size of bunnies

Deelove said:
Nix said:

I've been wondering with ramped hutches if the ramp is needed? I have mine in a dog crate with full shelf and they just jump up the gap quite easily and happily...

Ted and Dougal chewed their ramp so much I threw it out! They manage just fine without it!

Nix, I'm sorry but I don't believe you could have seen Thistle Hall... it's way better than you seem to be describing!

Nix said:
Because of the ramp, the overall floor space is reduced and, particularly with the bed area divider, there is not enough room for a rabbit to stretch out fully.

The ramp in Thistle Hall is actually quite steep, so there is a usable space underneath it. Benny can stretch out fully across the width of the hutch, and about twice over along its length!

nix said:
For these reasons, I don't think that thistle hall is really suitable for rabbits. Like most hutches available from pet stores, it is built to fit into your car easily - NOT for the welfare of the rabbit.

It's flat-packed! :? Fully built there is no WAY we could fit it in our car! :lol:

nix said:
If you wouldn't keep a pair of small dogs in it, don't keep rabbits in it - think of the exercise rabbits normally have in the wild! Look for a larger hutch - 6 x 3 ft or a 5 x 2 ft double

But you'd keep a pair of small dogs in the larger hutches you described? :? I'm confused. Rabbits are totally different animals - why make the comparison? Rabbits live in warrens, and hutches mimic this. Granted, most hutches are too small, and many people don't attach a run, but in the case of Thistle Hall as long as you allow adequate outside exercise I think it is a great setup.

Nix said:
Buying the quality of hutches you find in most pet shops (built to be cheap and fit in your car, not to be right for a rabbit) mean it will only be few years before it needs replacing.

Sorry, but I rather resent the implication that I have bought a cheap hutch built to fit in the back of my car and not designed for the welfare of my rabbits! :shock: You're lumping "pet shop hutches" into one category and not really offering a useful opinion on Thistle Hall in particular (although I do agree that many pet shops do sell some appalling hutches, so that warning is very helpful).

trance said:

It's taller as well. Benny can stand up on his back legs to full height and his ears only just brush the ceiling! I have to say, any "normal" 4ft double hutch would almost certainly be too short and not deep enough either, but I feel that the space provided in that hutch is more than adequate, particularly because the exercise they get outside the hutch is in the late evening when they are naturally active - I have let them out during the day but they simply weren't bothered and stayed in the hutch! :lol:

It depends on what your setup and your own personal situation is. I feel Thistle Hall works for me because they are in the house and consequently I can allow them to run around outside the hutch for long periods (at weekends it can often be all day).

Deelove said:

Thistle Hall definitely needs the ramp! The floors are so tall that even Benny the champion jumper can't manage it! :lol: It's quite steep too, so there is a "usable" space underneath it. With many of the shorter hutches you'd probably be able to take away the ramp.

AMETHYST

I had three guineas reserved to live in one of these today :D 8) They will have the attached run for the summer too:)

Wth the attchable run they aren't bad for small rabbits either, you can give them a box to hop onto instead of letting the ramp eat into their space. But for big rabbits a 6ft by2ftby2ft would be better so they can sprawl, again with an attached run.

I have a 4x2 double hutch (hutch over run actually) for Maa, and in my opinion it's way too small because of the ramp - I have had to remove the divider upstairs so she has somewhere big enough to sprawl out (I originally bought it for a nethie, before Maa had her accident)

I like to have a really big (2' long) litter tray on both levels, as it's easy to clean, and there's just no room for it in a 4' - I can't imagine 2 rabbits in there.

Benny's hutch is 2x5 and that's a perfect size really - nice and roomy, although I removed the ramp so he could have a bigger litter tray downstairs - He's a better jumper than Maa. They're both from Happyhutch.

trance, from what I undestand I think there is a run that you can fit on the front? So you can convert it into a hutch/run combo.

elve said:
I have a 4x2 double hutch (hutch over run actually) for Maa, and in my opinion it's way too small because of the ramp - I have had to remove the divider upstairs so she has somewhere big enough to sprawl out (I originally bought it for a nethie, before Maa had her accident)

I like to have a really big (2' long) litter tray on both levels, as it's easy to clean, and there's just no room for it in a 4' - I can't imagine 2 rabbits in there.

Can I point out again that Thistle Hall is 4.5' rather than 4', and it's taller than most 2-storey hutches so there's space under the ramp, and deeper too. :)

AMETHYST

Amethyst said:
elve said:

Can I point out again that Thistle Hall is 4.5' rather than 4', and it's taller than most 2-storey hutches so there's space under the ramp, and deeper too. :)

AMETHYST

I stood in front of one yesterday and had a look at it and there is no comparison between TH and a 4ft hutch, it gives much more depth and height than a standard 4ft which I think most people agree isn't a suitable permanent home for rabbits.

I do agree with Spacegirl though, I'd go for Happy Hutch for the price alone - by the time you've added a run on TH it'll be around £180 :shock:

kayjay said:
I do agree with Spacegirl though, I'd go for Happy Hutch for the price alone - by the time you've added a run on TH it'll be around £180 :shock:

Wow, has the price gone up? We only paid £100 for ours! Maybe it was in a sale...

Still, I know that Happy Hutch have been very highly recommended by many people I know for both quality and price, so yes, it'd be a great place to find a hutch! :)

AMETHYST

Back