• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

TEN COMMANDMENTS FOR RABBIT OWNERS

1) My life will hopefully last many years so please don't ignore me for long periods of time...I will be lonely....I need companionship.

2) If I am frightened do not take this to mean I am being awkward. Before you befriended me something may have happened to me that has made me mistrust humans. Give me time. your patience will teach me far more quickly than your temper.

3)Treat me kindly, for no heart in the world is more grateful than mine that you have chosen me to be your pet.

4) Speak to me often. I may not understand your words but I will understand your voice and the love in your voice will be the sweetest sound I will ever hear.

5) Please don't be mad if sometimes I don't want you to pick me up. Ask yourself if there is a reason for this. I may be unwell or I may have hurt myself. Give me the benefit of the doubt because I will always try to please you and I want to be loved.

6) Please keep me supplied with clean water, good food and hay so that I stay healthy and strong.

7) Please give me shelter from the wind, rain and sun. Please give me protection from any preditor that may see me as a tasty meal.

8) When you think I may be unwell please take me to a Vet so that I can get proper treatment. Please don't say "Well it's only a rabbit" I have the same feelings as a cat or dog.

9) Take care of me when I grow old and I can no longer hop and play all day. We all grow old and get tired quickly. My body will not have the energy it once had..... BUT ...I am still the same Bunny and I still need your love and cuddles.

10) When I am old and I no longer enjoy life because I am in pain please take me to where they will take my life away gently. Please be with me because I will not want to leave you and it will be a diffucult journey. Never say "I can't bear to watch" It will be easier if you are with me. Please talk to me and stroke me until I take my last breath and then I can go from this earth knowing my last breath was taken whilst I was being held by you.........the one I trust.

You obviously put a lot of time and thought into writing that. I must admit it set me off too! :(

Your bunnies are lucky to have such a caring human (if only everybody was like you).

:)

:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(
Thats really got me, Miss Marple passed away 1 year 26 Jan.
She passed in her sleep and I was not there.

Shedding tears here too. I am sorry that I was not at Cookie's side when he passed to the Bridge, but I was able to cuddle him for a long time while he was still well enough to remember :cry:

Hi,
I am sorry I did not want to upset anyone with the tenth commandment. When any pet has passed away in his or her sleep I think this must be a lovely way to die. I know it is a shock for you to find them, and the pain you feel is indiscribable, I know because I have lost many many pets and it never gets any easier, but please try to look at it this way ....You have not had to make that decision to have your beloved pet put to sleep. It was taken out of your hands, and your pet died knowing it was in his or her own surroundings where it had been loved and cared for. It would have died a peaceful death, and how many animals die like that in fact not many people die a peaceful death. So please do not approach yourself because you were not there when your pet passed away in their sleep.....they didn't suffer and their life was not taken from them by you, it was their time to go and they went in their own home.....safe and warm.

Luv Carol (four little paws)

10 made me cry too - I was with my baby when he hd to be put down I wish I had done it sooner rather then treating him as it prolonged his pain.

Number 10 got to me as well..... I hae only ever had my dog pts so far - and that was my reasoning for being with him every step of the way of that event...... I wouldnt even let him stay at the vets to be cremated - I took him to the place myself.

thats lovely

i just wish more people would take notice of things like that xx

the last one has made me cry and thats not a cool look when you are at work especially as i work in reception!

That's lovely. I'm going to print it off and give it out with my rabbit info packs that I give to people who have buns.

Rabswood

Back