• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Straight Forward Answer Wanted - Single Bunny

What to do about single bunny?

• Give her back to ARC

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keep her as she is

• I am a rescue and I would NOT rehome to you

• I am a rescue and I would rehome to you

• Total voters

Caz

Mama Doe
Before everyone jumps in who doesn't know the background - here it is:

I have lost four rabbits last year through disease/ill health and consequentially ended up with just one left who had only been with her partner a couple of months before he died.

She was adopted from ARC to live with my original bunny that was left after the other three passed away but then he died too see here: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=35262

She just had her first birthday and tested negative for EC, Cosmos was her first partner.

I currently work full time and have two dogs, which obviously takes up a lot of my "spare" time.

At the moment she is living in a spare bedroom but come summer she will be going back into the hutch/run during the day if I am sure it is EC free and may/maynot be spending the evenings inside (depends on OH). At the moment my OH is fine with her being inside because she has excellent toilet training, has not chewed anything and the spare bedroom has not been decorated - previous house rabbits have not been so well behaved.

I spend an hour with her in the evening and 15 minutes in the morning, more at weekends (she is still very timid so I just go up and read with her) but apart from that she just has her toys and stuffed bunny friend (she grooms it) etc. She can't some downstairs because one of the dogs is not to be trusted.

Now straightforward answers wanted - no mollycoddling about how I am probably a very good bunny mommy etc etc.

Realistically all rabbits should have a partner BUT

Would any rescue now rehome to me following my track record with rabbits? Seriously now - rescues only want the best for their rabbits - am I really a good home?

Is it fair to adopt a rabbit when I can't seem to keep them alive past three years?

I don't want to give Adele back (I enjoy having her around - is that selfish?) but at the same time I don't know what to do for her best interests.

My OH isn't keen on me getting any more rabbits, he can't stand to see me so upset everytime they die and even he thinks I am cursed.

I am not sure in myself if I can keep going through this - when does it stop? If I get her a new partner and she only lives another three years (if I am lucky) then I end up stuck in the same situation with alternating bunnys for years as I keep getting a new partner to bond with the remaining rabbit but on the other hand if she lives 12 years on her own will she be happy?

All I keep hearing about are friends and relatives bunnys that lived just fine in the bottom of their garden for 12-14 years and they fed them on pet shop mix and didn't bother with a huge hutch or runs or even toys, they clipped their overgrown teeth themselves etc so if I am doing everything "right", why are mine not making that long?

My mum and MIL pointed out (seperately) single bunnies live longer and thinking on the oldies on this forum and those I have known that seems to be true. Is this because rabbits are gentically programmed to find a partner and breed, so by bonding a bunny they find their partner (even if they can't physically breed due to neutering) so their purpose has been fulfilled whereas a single bunny never believes its purpose has been fulfilled? Is it because single bunnies make it easier to spot if poos are small or non-existant so get medical attention more promptly?

I don't want nicey, nicey answers - I am a big girl and can take it, I don't want reassurance I just want to know what I should do (I am trying not to whine too much).

If I had waited a couple more months and not adopted her Cosmos would have probably died anyway and I would have stopped keeping rabbits. It was only because he seemed so healthy that I didn't want him to live for the next six odd years by himself (don't I feel stupid now). I love them and love having them but last year it really felt like someone was trying to tell me I shouldn't have them - I mean it was awful and even now I feel constantly gutted and guilty but stupidly have a small kernel of hope that I can get it right this time (does anyone know what I mean - everytime I lost one last year, I kept redoubling my efforts to give the best possible care to my remaining rabbits but they still ended up dying).

I have attached a poll so if people don't want to tell me "in person" they can just vote with no comments.

Caz

I voted get her a friend. Illness and disease are not you fault. It happens to all of us even if they do have the best care possible. I haven't had many bunnies, but i had one single who only lived to 1 1/2. I now have one that is 3 today.I cant see how being single or bonded can make that much difference. Other then if one gets sick the other could catch it.
I think you are feeling a lot of guilt which is what we all go through.
I know you wanted short answers but i just kept going, sorry. :)

I lost my wonderful little bun last Wednesday just 7 months old :( I feel so guilty as I choose to have her spayed she died through an infection...

I have an indoor bunny & an outdoor foster bun.. At the moment I am like you I don't know what to do for the best.. I know my outdoor bunny is bored out there on his own & I would like to get a friend for him but not even sure if I am just going to foster him or keep him..

I'm sure a rescue would want on of there rabbits to have a home with you.. It wasn't your fault these buns got ill & passed away..

If you feel ready I would get a partner for your bun but only if you do feel ready.

I too have lost 4 rabbits in just over a year all of them young, sometimes these things happen :( I voted get her a partner :D

OK I voted give her back. Its NOT because I think you're doing anything wrong but just from reading what you have written it seems that at this time you feel you don't want to get any further rabbits and like you said, you probably would have stopped after Cosmo if you hadn't already adopted her.
Again I'll say I don't think you are at fault and certainly not to blame for the other rabbits dying but I don't think - in my opinion - that the situation at the moment is IDEAL for your rabbit, or for you for that matter. I don't think you're happy with it yourself. Maybe its just a good time to take a break and maybe adopt in the future.
These are just my thoughts and I hope they don't sound like criticism :D I may be reading it wrong, but that's what my feelings were to your post.

Just wanted to say that I'm sorry you find yourself in this situation. I take it you don't know the cause of your 3 (ie excluding the first rabbit you had) bunnies deaths? :?

It is good that you are looking deep into your heart to decide what is best for your bunny, even if that were to mean giving her up. One thing for certain (and I guess you know this already or you wouldn't have posted this poll) is that something needs to change as your bunny isn't getting enough of your time to be living as a single bunny - so I would say either get her a partner or give her back to ARC. You seem like you really care about her, but I really can't tell you what to do on this, it needs to be your decision as only you truly know whether your rabbit is happy.

Only rescues can comment on whether they would re-home a rabbit to you, I don't know what their policy is on such things. Have you spoken to ARC about your situation to get their advice?

If you do decide to get another bunny and put them back outside then it sounds like a full virkon treatment is needed at the very least or, even better, a new hutch might be in order.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

I kind of want to vote for two choices. Keep her as she is and/or find her a partner. I'd hate to see a bun have to leave a loving home where she's well taken care of because the owner had a run of bad luck. And that's what it is- bad luck. You're not a bad bunny mom. Maybe just take some more time to get over your losses, then get a new friend for your bun? I don't see any reason to rush.

Although many buns do better with a friend I don't think it's terribly cruel to keep them by themselves. As long as she gets attention and companionship from you she should be ok. And is it maybe possible to build her a small run downstairs where you can have her while you're there to watch, or is your dog too aggressive? And I would suggest keeping her in the house as it will be easier to give her more attention.

I voted get her a partner but if she was to live as a house bunny with lots of stimualtion then I think she could get n fine by herself.

I have asked a similar question else where Caz as in 'when do you break the cycle of re-bonding and re-bonding due to partners passing over :? :?

You are the only one that can really answer your question, give yourself time :wink: whether that be 1 week, 6 months or 12 months, you will know in your heart of hearts what is right for you and Adele :)

I think you are still in turmoil and bereavement Caz which is understandable but I would not rush into things without you feeling that it is the right thing to do :wink: :) spring is around the corner (I hope :shock: :lol: ) better weather and a fresher out look on life will give you a different prospective on life :wink: :D

Not all single buns are neccessarily unhappy buns, I suppose at the end of the day its like the saying 'better to have been loved than not loved at all', I know I can honestly say now, even though it took me over a year to pluck up the courage to go for Eddie bun but, I would rather have him for a week, two weeks, what ever, than not to have had him at all :wink:

I dont know about rabbits being the easiest and cheapest of pets, in my opinion I think they are the hardest and dearest pets to keep so please dont blame yourself Caz (hands Caz a bunch of flowers)

edited: meant to say I have not voted at all :lol: :lol: it is your decision and feel that you should be comfortable with what ever you decide, not what everyone else thinks even though you did ask :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think if you and your O/H feel you cannot adopt another Bunny at the moment maybe it would be better for Adele to be rehomed. Not because I think the loss of your other Rabbits was your fault or that you are a 'bad' Bunny Mummy.
Just reading your post makes me think that your heart is not able to commit to more Rabbits at this time and your life is such that Adele spends a lot of time alone.
I am not in the 'a single Rabbit is a miserable Rabbit' camp but I do think that a single Rabbit needs much more human contact than you are able to give Adele
Again I emphasise that in no way do I think you are responsible for the loss of your other Rabbits. And if you did not have Adele's best interests at heart you would not have started this thread.
I hope that you come to a decision you feel comfortable with and I KNOW Adele's needs will take priority.

Janex

I think if you keep her outside that getting a partner would be a good idea.

My mum and MIL pointed out (seperately) single bunnies live longer and thinking on the oldies on this forum and those I have known that seems to be true.

I think I'd want slightly more scientific data collection before agreeing on that point.

Is this because rabbits are gentically programmed to find a partner and breed, so by bonding a bunny they find their partner (even if they can't physically breed due to neutering) so their purpose has been fulfilled whereas a single bunny never believes its purpose has been fulfilled?

I doubt it. Neutering removes hormones that drive the urge to mate.

Is it because single bunnies make it easier to spot if poos are small or non-existant so get medical attention more promptly?

That would be a slightly more reasonable explanation.

How many single/bottom of the garden bunnies die young, those that make it past the first few years are probably the most sturdy so more like to live to old age.

Personally, having seen bunnies interact socially I would still keep them in pairs even if it knocked a couple of years of their life expectancy. In that situation I think quality not quantity is important.

I don't think any of the deaths were caused by anything you did so I don't see any reason why you shouldn't get more rabbits on those grounds. The only consideration needs to be whether you want one.

Tam

I don't think you should worry about 'getting it right' - you've had a run of bad luck with so many rabbits dying, but it's not for nothing they are classed as 'exotic pets' - they are fragile! As you've made a commitment to give your bunny a home for life, I think it would be a shame to put her back in rescue - she may never find another home.

I don't know about single bunnies living longer - Tia died at Christmas - I think maybe single MALE bunnies live longer, bearing in mind that the usual keeper of single-bunnies-at-bottom-of-garden-fed-on-mix doesn't spay females, so females will probably die at around 8 unspayed?

I also think you are spot on with the fact that the health of a single bunny is easier to monitor and treat - If I had Benny and Maa sharing a hutch, he would eat too much - I give her 3 times as much pellets as him, as he gets fat easily and she burns it off like crazy. She's had a bad tum in the past, which I couldn't have treated if she'd been in a pair. One of the shed bunnies has been doing excess caecal poops, but I can't find out which, or treat the bunny differently as she's in a group.

I think personally that all this mutual grooming is not so much 'love' as re-establishment of the pecking order - I see my single bunnies (Maa and Benny) as very relaxed (rather than depressed as some would think) and my group of girls as stressed rather than 'close' - They ARE close, but there's always emotion churning there - they always follow each other, groom each other, etc. I don't see this as love as much as checking that they belong to a group, although it is by human terms - bunnies are not human.

However I do think my single bunnies enjoy having other bunnies around - all the scent marking is mentally stimulating for them (if messy to clear up) and Maa and Benny live next door to each other and are used to each other now (Benny went mad with fury when I first put her there)

Judging by how contented my 2 seem to be, I can't see anything wrong in keeping a rabbit on its own outside, so long as it gets out of its hutch daily for a run, and has some attention from you daily (mine only get very brief attention as I whiz by). My 2 are much happier outside than they were indoors - Maa was too timid to move out from under my bed, and Benny hates the smell of cooking, whereas they look alert and happy outside. Mine have always had other rabbits nearby though, so I don't know if that's a factor?

Anyway, like I said, you shouldn't worry about 'getting it right' - 'good enough' is exactly that. In my opinion my rabbits are lucky to have a commited home and good food, a run out every day, vet care when they need it and twice daily attention - If that's what you can offer her then I think that's good enough - and in fact fantastic compared with what the vast majority of rabbits get :)

For starters, it's obvious you're blaming yourself for the deaths of your bunnies when clearly none of them were your fault. Sometimes bunnies just get ill and die and there's nothing that can be done. The fact that you're so hard on yourself about it shows that you DO care and you DO love them all dearly! So in answer to your first question - YES you are a good home! You've just been unlucky that your previous bunnies' times to go were all younger than you expected.

I don't think it matters whether single bunnies live longer than bonded bunnies - I firmly believe in quality of life not quantity. Sure, your bunny might live to 12 years but if they're not happy what does it matter? Far better for them to have half that time but filled with happiness, IMHO. :)

Ask yourself if Adele is happy where she is, and if she could be happier if you got her a friend. You can't spend a huge amount of time with her because of other commitments, so maybe a friend would help her? I think you have to take yourself out of the equation entirely and ask yourself what would make Adele happiest.

Whatever you decide, we all know that you have your rabbit's best interests at heart. You are NOT a bad owner - far from it! :)

AMETHYST

Amethyst said:
I firmly believe in quality of life not quantity. Sure, your bunny might live to 12 years but if they're not happy what does it matter? Far better for them to have half that time but filled with happiness, IMHO. :)

I'll use that argument next time someone asks me why I don't spay any of my girls.

Aliandbuns said:
so I would say either get her a partner or give her back to ARC. You seem like you really care about her, but I really can't tell you what to do on this, it needs to be your decision as only you truly know whether your rabbit is happy.

Only rescues can comment on whether they would re-home a rabbit to you, I don't know what their policy is on such things. Have you spoken to ARC about your situation to get their advice?

I have spoken to Donna and we remain of the same viewpoint as previously posted http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=35262&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15 If Caz is looking for a partner for Adele, Donna and I are also happy to help find a suitable partner for Adele. I have no doubts in my mine to suggest that anything which has happened to Caz's rabbits is in any way her fault, it is just a very unfortuntate occurance.

elve said:
Amethyst said:
I firmly believe in quality of life not quantity. Sure, your bunny might live to 12 years but if they're not happy what does it matter? Far better for them to have half that time but filled with happiness, IMHO. :)

I'll use that argument next time someone asks me why I don't spay any of my girls.

Ah, you see, personally I would add to that, if there is anything that can be done to prolong your bunny's life, then it should be done! :) But again, that's my personal opinion and at the end of the day we all only do what we believe is in the best interests of our bunnies. :thumb:

AMETHYST

elve said:
Amethyst said:

This doesn't follow. Not being speyed is likely to make them unhappy rather than make them happy. Having phantom pregnacies and getting PMS isn't life improving. No wonder your group seem stressed rather than being happy with eachother if they are still not speyed. Maybe you need to observe a loved up pair where both are neutered to see why everyone is so for it..

As I've said before I don't doubt that single bunnies can be happy. However they will be happier if they are bonded. If good enough is all you are setting out to acheive I am sure you have got there, as you say better than most rabbits get :cry: However if you want the best for your animals, speying and bonding are musts. Still it is your choice.

I should have added to my previous posting that if you really feel that the right thing to do is to hand Adele back to ARC, we will find space for her. However that does not change ARC's view that we would also find a partner for Adele if requested to do so.

I think you should get a friend for Adele rather than give her up. It sounds
like you really care about her, and who knows if she would ever have
a good home again.

Back