• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Biting Rabbit

Ron

New Kit
Hi.

I need some advice. We have a rabbit that is about a year old and is very aggressive, he always has been but it is at the stage where the only person who would dare change his cage/feed him (me!) is fed up of getting bitten.

I know we should have done something earlier but anyway.....

Neuturing seems to help this sort of behaviour I hear but is it too late? We don't like him being in the cage all the time (except for excercise runs) but can't go on getting bitten.

Ideas? Should we re-house him or whatever? The kids would love to stroke him but it is too risky. A shame

Thanks

Its never too late to neuter, even if it only helps his behaviour a little it will protect his against unpleasent diseases in the future. How old is he and where/what is he doing when he attacks?

I would definately get him neutered, that should help alot. At 1 year old he is still young so it will be fine, don't forget it takes about 6 weeks after the operation for the hormones to settle though so don't expect an immediate transformation.

Neutering removes the hormones which are often behind territorial agression. It's not a guarenteed fix but it certainly helps in a lot of cases. His age doesn't effect the outcome although neutering won't solve learned behaviours.

Tam

Yes, definately get him neutered, anything is worth a try! You could then get him a girlfriend!

What is his housing setup? Is his hutch a big enough size for him? Does he get daily access to a run? Has he got toys etc for stimulation?

You may wonder why I ask these questions, but I'm just wondering if his aggressive behaviour may stem from boredom?

Kate x

I think it may be teritorial too, possibly even food aggression or fear. Who handles him and picks him up?

We got Billy from people who were rehoming him because of aggression. We got him neutered, and he's ten times calmer now, but he's still very aggressive if you go near his food bowl. I think some habits are hard for them to get out of.

Try not to put your hand directly in his hutch, most rabbits do not like this. tempt him to come out with a food treat before trying to stroke him. Positively reinforce being stroked with getting something nice like his fav veg. But neutering would help his behaviour, so its prob something to consider. And then find him a girlfriend, theres loads of lovely girlies on rabbit rehome :D

Good Luck

Nicola

Thanks everyone, I will give the neutering a shot. I don't think its boredom as he actually bit the guy in the pet shop when we bought him!! (maybe that was a sign :? )

Neutering will help. Also, what is your setup like? All three of my girls have been cage aggressive to some extent, and I found that it really helps when you can let them out to play without having to pick them up. My buns are indoors and their cages/pens are always on the floor. Also, do the cleaning and put the food in while the bun is out playing. That way he can't object to your hand invading his territory, because that's how he sees it.

Good luck!

Back