• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Kahlo off to the vets.....UPDATE!MAJOR RANT!!!!

cannonwoman

Warren Veteran
I was just cutting Kahlo`s claws & thought i`d quickly check over his nether regions to makesure he`d healed fully from his neutering, he was done 3 1/2wks ago. I`m not sure what`s happened but there`s a hole! It doesn`t look sore or anything but there`s a fair bit of debris in there that he wasn`t prepared to let me flush out, so off to the vets we go........................
It seems quite a long time for the stitches not to have healed the wound together. :? It doesn`t look like a bite so i`m not 100% sure what`s happened.
Will update when i get back.

Su.x

Panic over!!!!!! Kahlo`s absolutely fine :D No thanks to my vet!! And i`m absolutely steaming!! :evil: Sorry this could turn into a long rant.................................
The actual hole i found was one of his scent glands! :oops: BUT.......... the reason it was full of debri was because the stupid vet who neutered him used nylon stitches & didn`t put it in the notes, hence no-one told me to go back to get them removed. The skin had started to grow over the stitches which had caused some swelling causing all the dried blood etc to get stuck in his gland area. The vet then announced "Oh dear, I`d better take these out"! Poor Kahlo was ever so good but the procedure was obviously very painful for him & he`s now had some metacalm. I`ve also given him some guardian angel to help relax him a bit.
I was given no apology & the vet just said "Oh well hopefully he`ll be fine now"! :shock: :evil: I then walked out...........................
I know this mistake wasn`t serious, serious but this is the final straw in several mistakes my vet has made over the past year. Firstly, when Angel was spayed about 10 days after i noticed she was developing a swelling near the scar. I took her back to the vets & said "I think she`s herniated". They did a scan, 2 vets studied it & said "No, it`s just an abcess", so sent us home with a course of antibiotics. Twice more i went back as it was getting larger, twice more i was given antibiotics as `it was just an abcess`. THEN, Mark took her as i was poorly, another scan was done & it was announced that she had an extremely large hernia & required immediate surgery!! :cry: She then spent a further 2 wks living in our bedroom whilst we nursed her back to health! We never even recieved an apology!
Secondly, when Tia was spayed a few months later they went against my request for internal stitches & did external. Tia pulled these out over night & had to undergo a second GA & be re-stitched! Which they did with `external stitches` again!! :shock: She was then sent home in a buster collar & i spent a further week nursing her & syringe feeding her as she was deeply depressed & in pain! :cry:
There are also several things we are unhappy about with re: to the ongoing treatment one of my cats is recieving.
I hope people don`t think i`m over reacting but my animals really are my babies, i would go to the end of the earth for them & when they hurt, i hurt!!! :cry:
I now plan on spending tomorrow phoning various veterinary practices until i`ve found one more knowledgeable. I will not be going back to that practice again!

Sorry about the rant from a very upset Su.x

glad it was nothing too serious

i dont blame you being annoyed i would be :evil: good luck on your search for a better vet

nose rubs and healing (((vibes))) to kahlo

Vets

Hi,

I'm really sorry to hear what happened. When some of the vets at the practice failed to pick up a post-op hernia (sadly with fatal results) I had a personal written apology from the Head Vet (and the fees were waived for all of the treatment - but I'd rather have paid anything for a successful outcome).

Re: Vets

Sue said:
Hi,

I'm really sorry to hear what happened. When some of the vets at the practice failed to pick up a post-op hernia (sadly with fatal results) I had a personal written apology from the Head Vet (and the fees were waived for all of the treatment - but I'd rather have paid anything for a successful outcome).

I`m sorry to hear you lost your bunny. :cry: I know vets are only human but i just want the best care i can get for my babies.

Hugs,
Su.x

I would write a letter to the Senior Vet at the practice setting out your concerns.
Over the last few weeks there have been all to many posts on here about seemingly cavalier attitudes to Rabbits by Veterinary Surgeons who we PAY GOOD MONEY to treat our Bunnies.
Mistakes happen in all walks of life. But it is how they are subsequently managed that counts.
If you are not satisfied with the response you receive from the Practice then I'd write to the RCVS.

I hope Kahlo soons feels settled. As he has you to look after him I am sure he will be fine :D

Janex

Su I think I would be looking for a new vet too. We all do everything to try and get the best care for our babies. I have 3 different vets one for horses, one for buns and one for dogs and cats. :shock: Thinking of you and the animals.

xx :D

OMG I cannot believe you kept going back to that vet they sound terrible I am lucky with mine I have had no prolems.

Thanks Steph, I`m glad people don`t think i`m over-reacting.

Jane, we are going to write to The Head Vet but unfortunately he is also the vet who continuously misdiagnosed Angel`s hernia & the one i saw today.
We have also decided to write to the RVCS as we are extremely unhappy with everything that has gone on & don`t feel the standard of care they are giving is good enough.

I`ve just checked on Kahlo & he`s snuggled up with Speckle. :D

Su.x

I would be extremely annoyed too. Dont think you are over reacting at all. I would be livid!!!! We trust these people with our animals' lives afterall.

Wishing Kahlo a speedy recovery x

OMG, just caught up with this. How awful. I think a complaint is definatly in order - that is terrible treatment. :x

Glad to hear that Kahlo is now OK. :)

If you give us a rough idea of where you live perhaps someone on here can recommend a good vet?

Caz

Back