• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Found a Really Good Absorbent Bedding-AN IDEA ADDED......

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
Having tried numerous things to replace woodshavings I have stumbled upon something called a 'Confetti Shredded Paper Bedding' When I saw it I thought it would not be very absorbant as it is basically newspaper shredded into 2cm long 0.5cm wide pieces. But it is BRILLIANT and so much more absorbant than woodshavings. It is also MUCH cheaper than Megasorb. A 25kg bale cost £5.

It is completely dust free and so much more economical :thumb:

Janex

Do you not use hay?, if not why not?

Jane I am not questioning you, I am intrigued, I always use hay on top on flat newspaper sheets, is that not good?

I guess it's all down to absorbency. I don't find hay and newspaper very absorbent as they are. I'm using megazorb as it's the cheapest, most absorbent thing I can get hold of at the mo (and keeps in smells pretty well too).

jane where can you get hold of Confetti Shredded Paper Bedding?

I agree, I dont find hay very absorbent so I use newspaper and carefresh...it really minimises the smell too.

Yes I do use hay but I used to put it ontop of woodshavings. Then I decided I did not want to use woodshavings anymore cos of the health issues associated with them Megazorb is too expensive to buy in the quantities I use (42 Bunnies) and just newspaper is :

a-not absorbent

b- most Buns rip it to shreds :roll:

I get the 25kg Bales of CSP from the farm I buy my hay bales from. They deliver free of charge too :thumb:

I would say the CSP is MORE absorbant than Megazorb and less messy to clear away when wet.

Really chuffed with it :D

(I am easy to please.... :roll: :lol: )

Janex

O.k, i knew this is probably a really stupid question but are all the paper beddings compostable? I`ve been thinking about changing from shavings but i compost all the waste.

Su.x (AKA Barbara Good)!!!!! :oops:

cannonwoman said:
O.k, i knew this is probably a really stupid question but are all the paper beddings compostable? I`ve been thinking about changing from shavings but i compost all the waste.

Su.x (AKA Barbara Good)!!!!! :oops:

Not sure Barbara...... I mean Su!!

Janex

I've put shredded paper (newspaper, old letters etc) in my compost bin before - actually, it really helps balance out a 'wet' compost, so useful if you put a lot of kitchen waste or grass clippings in there! I don't see why shredded paper bedding would be any different :D

I've recently had to start using shavings as my supplier has stopped stocking shredded newspaper. I miss it! :cry:

Louise

Jack's-Jane said:
Yes I do use hay but I used to put it ontop of woodshavings. Then I decided I did not want to use woodshavings anymore cos of the health issues associated with them Megazorb is too expensive to buy in the quantities I use (42 Bunnies) and just newspaper is :

Janex

Hang on

Has that gone up? Did i miss a thread? Wasn't it 41? - or was 41 just a miscount? :lol:

I got hold of 2 bags of the shredded newspaper from my local farm shop. It lasted 2 and half months and only cost £2.25!!! :D

I went in last week to get some more and they didn't know what i was talking about, even asked me if I was sure I got it from them!!

Anyone know where I can get some in the Leicestershire area??!!!

Ok this might be a daft idea, I have been known to get them... :roll:
But how about trying to get hold of an industrial sized shredder?
I have one of those office types but its no good for shredding newspaper for bedding as it cuts too long and too thick and is too small
So if we could get a few shredders located near Rescues and a rota of willing volunteers to do a shredding duty maybe RU could manufacture their own shredded paper bedding :? :? We could all donate our newspaper to our nearest 'shredder station'

I am certainly going to look into getting a large shredder

:D :D

Janex

you can shred newspaper in a garden shredder! i have done it and they say if you have shredded alot of green stuff to shred some newspaper after to dry/clean things up!

I have a normal size paper shredder at home and use newspaper for bedding and litterbox under the hay.

Sounds like you got a bargain Jane :D

My OH brings home huge bags of shredded paper from work, i mix it up with hay and some other shredded "wooly" feeling paper and the buns go mad diving underneath it :lol:

Tracey x

Back