• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

little rabbits

touie

Wise Old Thumper
Following twinkles disappearing act today, I wanted to know how those of you with diddy rabbits cope with them. She is about 1.7kg now i think but I can't have her loose in the house bacause she gets into places the others can't. I can't let her loose in the garden, did today for 15 mins and look what happened :shock: what do you do for exercise with tiny bunnies I don't like to leave her cooped up in a cage/run all the time!

must say my buns arent tiny but what about a bunny proofed room or shed. or a huge run?? i really want to have an 8ft square run for my buns but dont think it would fit in the garden so now hoping i might be able to have a 4ft x 8ft run, plus you could get roof and base for little escape artists :lol:

or how about a harness?

my gardens only about 25 foot i think. I already have a shed but Sugarplums going to need that as she's getting so big.

At the moment twinkle is in a 6'x4' run with a hutch on top

big bunnies are so much easier! :lol:

Audreys not small but I'll answer anyway :lol:

I know the weathers not very pleasant, but I just stay outside with Audrey whilst she has a run around- big coat and gloves on with a cup of coffee :) . And I used to do the same with my little buns...Bob was a mini lop.

I have a large run (but one that has small gaps in the bars!!) They come in the house sometimes for supervised playtime but every day they are all out in the runs (weather permitting).
This one is really good. Approx 7xnearly 4feet and just over 2 feet high. Nice and sturdy but also folds flat if you need it to.
http://www.lamp-post.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=TR62452&cat=202
I would really be too afraid to let the little ones free range and my garden is just not secure.

Just be careful that they can't squeeze between the gaps - they can get through amazingly small spaces!!
The other thing I would be worried about though would be birds, cats foxes etc. I feel the benefit of having something enclosed is that they can be out there for as long as possible wheras if they are free ranging then I would only be happy leaving them out when I could supervise them. So what they loose in square feet they make up for in extra time out - if you see what I mean! :lol:

at the moment she has a 6x4 run with a hutch inside as a shelter, she can go under, in , or on top of this hutch and she has a 4' x 2' hutch on top of the run. Is that enough space for a little bunny to live in with the occasional supervised excursion during the weekend/ school holidays when i'm about!

I feel guilty because the others get so much more playtime but they're all at least 2-3 times her size!

Marley is a dinky dutch and has a playpen attatched to his cage indoors. He can get in to gaps even the cats get stuck in.

Well, if it was me I would be happier knowing she was safe. If she's only little then that is a good amount of space for her to play in and if she can have a bigger run in the garden when you can watch her then that sounds fine to me. Maybe there is a room in the house that would be safe for exercise too? What abiut the bathroom or the kitchen? They usually have less places for rabbits to get up to mischief :lol: I think a change is as good as making her space bigger because it gives them somewhere new to explore.

she comes in the kitchen sometimes but it's no bigger than her run lol

I need to get fudge living back outside when it's warmer then she'll be able to come indoors without upsetting him, at the moment everytime i bring another rabbit in he insists on pooing and weeing all over the place :roll:

Jenny is dinky too - 1.9kg. Sh's fine in her playroom but I do worry about her when she's in the run - the only thing I can do with is just sit with her and keep an eye on the little mischief :D

Stick two runs next to each other. I took the mesh off the side of two 6'x3' runs so my two now have 6'x6'. Or, you could use one of the various folding wire runs and just cover it with finer mesh.

Tam

Smudge is 1.2kg. She's a terror for getting at the back of furniture. :lol:

When she lived with Moonshine and Flopsy, she used to hide food where they couldn't get at it :lol: :lol:

Nicola

My two have a run made of Argos storage cube panels, 5 wide by 6 long, by two high. Their hutch sits inside this at the back. I've even covered the bottom of the run to stop them digging out, although am considering laying some paving since the turf I laid has been trashed. I still bring them both in most nights so they can have a run about. :D

Tia was really tiny, but she seemed to have more energy than my bigger rabbits - never kept still when she was out of her hutch. I fenced off a 13'x5' area of the patio with nursery fireguards from Argos - really handy as they are moveable, and fairly cheap. In summer I fenced off the whole patio and half the garden and Tia was in her element - she loved to run! :)

I left her unsupervised on the patio next to the house as it was very secure, but never on the garden as it was such a big area, and she was so tiny - but it gave me a good excuse to sit on a stool, read and have a coffee anyway, while she danced around me :)

Twinkle seems to have much more energy than the others too, she goes mad when i let her out. Because my garden's so small it's difficult to fence off, I guess she's going to have to make do with supervised excursions when i can.

I'm going to try to bond her with Fudge soon, hopefully if that works out she won't try and disappear without him as he's too big to fit through any gaps !

Yeah Gasket's like that, especially indoors, he just runs about like a complete loon! Taps has bouts of activity followed by periods just lazing around.

Back