• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Iv been thinking

cheekytikki

Wise Old Thumper
dangerous i know! :lol:

at the moment as you know my buns are in a 4 ft x 5.5 ft cage w/ shelf in the crate, i have been a thinking about maybe having built a custom hutch and just wondered your opinions... :?: :?: :?:

i would want it made a minimum of 3 tier 5 ft x 3ft (which would give approx 45 sq ft i think compared to approx 30 sq ft now ) (i say minimum as it mihgt be able to go upto 5.5 ft long depending on what whoever was building it thought) it would have to be made in a flat pack otherwise it wouldnt fit through the door :shock: . having it built would also mean that i would gain another 1 ft 'strip' in my room (at the mo i have to squeeze through a gap to get in and have a thin path to my bed and thats it) each tier would be 2 ft high making the total height approx 6 ft (taller than me but would still be able to clean it out) it would have 2 sleeping areas approx 3ft x 1 1/2 ft on the top and middle section and the rest would be meshed. on the lower section i would have a door abour 1/2 - 1 ft wide which would be opened in he morning to allow free range access. there would be a ramps connecting the levels but not sure how big the hole connecting would be ( :?: ). i would ideally want it made from melamine which has the water proof wipe clean surface or a varnished wood. i would probably have lino or similar put down also. it would have removable guards at the front to hold all the floor stuff (probably megazorb) in which could then be removed for easy cleaning. that is all i can think of right now but any 'extra' things you could suggest would be much appreciated :D (still not sure where i would store stuff but i'll think of something :D )
i dread to think what it would cost :oops: but if it would be good i would def like to save up for it (unless it was like £1000 or something then i will stick with what iv got :lol: ) the cage nd pen would probably migrate ourtside to be used as a summer run :D

thoughts, opinions, critisisms etc please :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

p.s. see, this is what happens when RU goes offline :lol: :lol:

I'm going to sound much older than my years now but from a practical human point of view...will it be made of wood? Just that if it's going to be about 6foot won't it make your room quite dark? There you see I told you it would make me sound old and miserable :D

IsabelM said:
I'm going to sound much older than my years now but from a practical human point of view...will it be made of wood? Just that if it's going to be about 6foot won't it make your room quite dark? There you see I told you it would make me sound old and miserable :D

it would be made of wood and be up against a wall but if it was melamine it would probably be completely white and if it was othe wood i would probably have all of it / maybe just the outside painted to match my wall which is a very pale cream / off white :D:D

cheekytikki said:
IsabelM said:

it would be made of wood and be up against a wall but if it was melamine it would probably be completely white and if it was othe wood i would probably have all of it / maybe just the outside painted to match my wall which is a very pale cream / off white :D:D

Oooh that sounds lovely :D
Just a thought though, how about having them free range in your room or wood Cody be a problem?

IsabelM said:
cheekytikki said:
IsabelM said:

Oooh that sounds lovely :D
Just a thought though, how about having them free range in your room or wood Cody be a problem?

i dont think i would want to leave them overnight, the only other thing that i was thinking about is having the bunnies free range and cody in a crate (he loves sleeping in crates) he was in a crate pre bunny so i know he wouldnt mind hmmmmm this is one to think about :?

:lol: and thats only the ones in my room :shock: luckily the cats sleep in the conservatory, amber sleeps downstairs and guinness sleeps in mum and dad's room :lol: :lol: :lol:

If it was mad of melamine wouldn't it get hot in the summmer? And I think you would get a build up of condensation as well.

hmmmm didnt think of that :? :? i know people have rat cages made from it and dont have a problem so i assumed it would be ok hmmmmm :? could always get a crate fan too :? oooo this is confoooosin!

Would they use all three floors do you think? I'd be tempted just to have a double I think :?

Also, if its 3ft deep, will it be difficult to clean out maybe?

well their cage at the moment is quite deep but i suppose on a high level it might be harder (although i wouldnt mind using a small step ladder to clean them out ) plus the top layer would in effect be 4 ft high so not too bad. the only thing with having a double is that they wouldnt avtually be gaining any floor space ( my main reason for considering this) i think i will probably end up either keeping them how they are or putting a 36" crate in for cody instead hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm decisions decisions :?

Back