• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Wondering what to do for the best?

Bonniebunny

Warren Scout
Hi
As some of you may have read, I lost my beloved dwarf lop Bonnie yesterday after a GA for dental problems. I'm heartbroken but mindful of the fact that my French Lop of 15 weeks old, Fleur is now left on her own.
She and Bonnie were friends together.

What is the best thing to do? Get a neutered male to bond her with then get her spayed when she comes of age, or wait until she is spayed then bond her? I am not trying to replace Bonnie - she was so unique - as are all buns, but I don't want my lovely Frenchie being lonely and as she is younger would it be easier to introduce another bun now?

Advice needed on how to proceed for the best?

Thank you.

Let her grieve. She will need to go through the process of loosing her friend as much as you will. I'd wait until she was speyed. So Sorry to hear about Bonnie :cry: X

i agree . buns need to get over losing a friend/partener as we do .
let her grieve ...get her spayed ...and then get her a friend .

Angie

If you also feel ok with getting another bunny then I personally dont think you need to wait, Im sure she would be happy to have another friend, and in many cases I think it really helps.

Sorry about Bonnie :(

Sorry to hear you news - big hugs.

I think only you can decide when the time is right. See how Fleur reacts and gets on before rushing into anything. She may need time like others have said - you'll be able to tell I'm sure.

I don't think rabbit grieve in the same way humans do. Often a rabbit, particularly when they are older and more settled in their ways, will get very depressed after their friend dies and will brighten up considerably after being introduced to a new rabbit.

It's two months until she can be spayed and then another couple of weeks for recovery before you could bond. If you are going to get another bun anyway then I don't see a problem with doing so now. A neutered male would be the best match and he can stay with her when she's spayed which will help reduce her stress levels too.

Tam

Tamsin said:
I don't think rabbit grieve in the same way humans do. Often a rabbit, particularly when they are older and more settled in their ways, will get very depressed after their friend dies and will brighten up considerably after being introduced to a new rabbit.

It's two months until she can be spayed and then another couple of weeks for recovery before you could bond. If you are going to get another bun anyway then I don't see a problem with doing so now. A neutered male would be the best match and he can stay with her when she's spayed which will help reduce her stress levels too.

Tam

Agree :thumb:
I hope this doesnt offend anyone, but I think some may feel prolonged seperation anxiety more than grief (ie. missing the company), and whos to say that if this is how they feel, it isnt made worse by our perception that they need time to get over it (and how do we judge when this is? :? ).

Just my opinion tho and thats not to say everyone should rush into adopting another bunn as I dont feel ready to do so since we lost Rowan. And for the moment Audrey seems ok.

It really depends on the rabbit and whether the rabbit saw the body of his companion.

The American House Rabbit Society have an article about grieving rabbits that suggests if a rabbit has seen the dead body of their partner they will come to terms with the loss and be easier to rebond, however one that has not may "wait" for their partner to return thereby being harder to rebond.

With Zeus he became ill within days of losing his partner, I hadn't come to terms with her death to think about finding him a new partner (he was living next door to Comsos, only seperated by wire and I thought this would be enough company). I do wonder if I had got him rebonded asap whether it would have given him the incentive to survive.

Caz

Thank you all for your replies. Appreciated.

My worry is that Fleur is alone during my working hours, in an 8x6 shed to herself. They both used to come indoors when I got home from work and I am continuing this with Fleur. She seems quite happy indoors running up and down stairs and is still binkying so I don't think she is unhappy whilst she's with me, but 8 hours a day in that shed and then again throughout the night seems like an awful long time for her to be alone.

I will have a good think on what you have all said and make a decision without rushing into anything.

Thanks again.
xx

Our wonderful bunnies passed away on the same day.. I don't know about you but I've been in floods of tears since yesterday..
Even though I hadn't bonded Molly with bertie they could see & smell each all the time. Bertie is acting very strange today & seems very very down. My husband thinks we should get another rabbit to bond with Bertie but we can't cope with it yet.. I know it's different for you as you buns were already bonded..
I think for your bunnys sake I would try him with a friend as soon as you feel you are ready..
Horrible time isn't it ? I keep looking at Molly picture & breaking down we loved that little girl so much. I wish now I wouldnt of had her spayed as she'd still be with us.

Back