• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Cleaning a very fluffy bunny

sillyrabbit

Wise Old Thumper
I have noticed that Scarlett seems to get a bit messy around her bum, however its not messy with poo if you know what I mean.

She seems to wee then she will just sit in it, her fur is quite long around there and it also gets lots of bits of hay stuck around there and its harder to remove than the hay that gets caught around her face (probably because of the wee).

What I have been doing is wiping it with a warm damp cloth, but I think it really needs a proper clean. I know you shouldnt bath a bunny and I would never do that but would this be ok, if I was to wipe her with a warm damp cloth that has baby shampoo on it and then wipe it off with clean warm water? And dry her properly with a towel which is what I have been doing anyway.

I dont mind that I have been having to clean her, but I feel really bad when im at work knowing that her fur is probably all wet and I am not there to dry her :(

She is eating and pooping normally and she has never had any poo stuck in her fur.

I use carefresh in her hutch but its the hay that is really getting stuck down there, and obviously I am putting lots in her hutch while its cold. Anyone with fluffy bunnies have any suggestions?

Hiya,

You could trim or ask the vet to shave the fur on the inside of her backlegs and around her groin. Also trim the fur around her tail to normal bunny length. It should still keep her plenty warm enough but will be easy for her to groom.

Is she litter trainned? If so you might need to change the type of litter to something more absorbent. If not then vetbed is good for drawing the wee away from the surface so the top stays dry. You could also put her hay in a hay rack so she can eat it but just walk about in it :)

It would also be a good idea to get the vet to check her as various things could cause this such as a bladder infection or nervous sytems issues such as EC.

For cleaning try baby wipes. Baby shampoo is designed for washing off so I wouldn't recommend it.

Tam

Thanks, I will trim the fur around there, I had thought about doing this but wasnt sure if it was ok

Is she litter trainned? If so you might need to change the type of litter to something more absorbent. If not then vetbed is good for drawing the wee away from the surface so the top stays dry. You could also put her hay in a hay rack so she can eat it but just walk about in it

She will mostly use her litter tray, only had a few accidents and the tray is cleaned out each night. Im sure she just sits in the tray though. I have also been putting carefresh in the litter tray so I will try another type of litter. She has vetbed on the top floor of her hutch where I put her food and hay cubes. I will order a hay rack in a minute :D

I have been putting lots of hay in the hutch to keep her warm but to be honest she just walks through it to get to her tray then goes back upto the top :lol:

I have already made an appointment for the vet because I was a bit worried that there maybe something wrong. We are going in Saturday morning.

Yeah I wasnt sure about the baby shampoo, thought I better check first :D

I have some baby wipes, didnt even think of using them :oops:

Back