• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vets couldn't help Dillon's eye problem...

norrielian

Mama Doe
I left Dillon at the vets yesterday to see if they could flush his tearducks but unfortunately they had no luck! They said the tubes would only go part the way down one and not at all on the other. They said its either permanently blocked or because of his breeding, the tubes haven't formed properly so there is nothing they can do except manage it! He was given an antibiotic injection which lasts two weeks and some anti-inflammatory drops and he's back there in 2 weeks for a check-up.

Anyone else had the same problem? Any tips to manage the problem, except regular bathing and keeping a look-out for infection.

I was gutted for him last night, his eyes looks very sore and when I tried to get these drops in, he was having none of it. He kept moving my hand away with his teeth - think he was close to biting me which is not Dillon - he is normally such a teddybear!

norrielian said:
I left Dillon at the vets yesterday to see if they could flush his tearducks but unfortunately they had no luck! They said the tubes would only go part the way down one and not at all on the other. They said its either permanently blocked or because of his breeding, the tubes haven't formed properly so there is nothing they can do except manage it! He was given an antibiotic injection which lasts two weeks and some anti-inflammatory drops and he's back there in 2 weeks for a check-up.

Anyone else had the same problem? Any tips to manage the problem, except regular bathing and keeping a look-out for infection.

I was gutted for him last night, his eyes looks very sore and when I tried to get these drops in, he was having none of it. He kept moving my hand away with his teeth - think he was close to biting me which is not Dillon - he is normally such a teddybear!

Has your Vet X-rayed Dillon's skull to see if it is his tooth roots overgrowing and bloking the duct?
It is better to know if this is the case sooner rather than later.
As for managing the runny eyes daily bathing is needed. I use cooled boiled water. If you gently massage by the duct you can clear out any gunk which may have built up. This will help minimise the risk of infection. Then dry the area around the eye and apply a smear of vaseline. This will act as a barrier to the discharge and will protect the delicate skin.

Janex

Has your Vet X-rayed Dillon's skull to see if it is his tooth roots overgrowing and bloking the duct?
It is better to know if this is the case sooner rather than later.
As for managing the runny eyes daily bathing is needed. I use cooled boiled water. If you gently massage by the duct you can clear out any gunk which may have built up. This will help minimise the risk of infection. Then dry the area around the eye and apply a smear of vaseline. This will act as a barrier to the discharge and will protect the delicate skin.

Janex[/quote]

No, they haven't but will ask. If it is rooth roots overgrowing I'm assuming they do something about that?

Thanks Jane

I had a bun that had the same issue with flushing, sometimes they managed it and sometimes not. I found gently massaging the corner of his ear where the tear duct is in little circles helped get the gunk out and stopped them blocking.

Tam

OMG Buster had the same problem, he's better now shall I find the post. Does he have white sludge coming out?

Miffy's left eye has a narrower tear duct than normal. It flared up in the summer but drops and flushing once cleared it up. Now it's come back, and it was so blocked that the flushing didn't work! The eye drops (Miffy's on Tiacil) help to break down the gunk and then she's going to have them flushed again (tomorrow). The drops seem to be working, although she is still holding her eye partly closed. Miffy hates the drops too but is usually very good about it. If Dillon really hates it, try kneeling behind and astride him and wrapping him in a towel. He won't like it much but it will make the whole process much quicker and less stressful for you both. Have a nice tasty treat ready for after he's done - bribery gets you a long way with bunnies! :lol:

Good luck, I hope Dillon gets better soon!

AMETHYST

Thanks everyone, you've been a great help!

His eyes aren't terrible, just damp looking (not particularly gungy) but he was much better this morning with the drops although was still getting cross with me :lol: :lol:

Hopefully the antibiotic injection and drops will work over the next two weeks.

Lian x

Back