• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Ahhhhhhh! Eye help!!!!

melaniejb

Mama Doe
What a day for the forum to be offline yesterday!!!!!

Poppy was at the vets having a dental - my ex took her/brought her home as I was at work. Anyway, he text me to say everything was fine, she's happy at home etc. Anyway, about an hour later when I got home she couldn't open her eye. I thought maybe during the hoperation is may have weeped and the fur dried so she couldnt open it so I bathed it in bottled water. It then looked awful once she opened it!

The lower lid was flopping out and she either had to have it like that of close her eye... :( i called the vet and he wanted to see her this morning but in the meantime game me the name of an human eye drop that I could get for her (it was too late to go to the vets by that point). Anyway, it didn't seem to be working but then this morning I checked on her and the eye is much better. I'm now waiting for the vet to call me back to let me know whether she needs to go back in again...

ANyway, essay over now, does anyone know what it could be? she was fine yesterday morning before her op! :?

Is there a chance they may have done something that affected the root of her teeth as they run close to the eye/tear ducts and rabbits ith dental problems often get eye/tear duct infections and weepy eyes?

I would take her back to the Vet as she may not have had any protective gel put in her eyes during the GA. If her eyes remained open something may have scratched the cornea or some dust may have set off an infection. Either way I would certainly want a word with the Vet who did the op'........

Janex

Shortly after I posted I spoke to the vet again who wants me to take her back. i couldn't see the vet who did the op this evening so I'm taking her tomorrow as it seems to have totally cleared up now, so i dont think there is any rush.

Is there any way of telling if they failed to give the protective gel on Jane? i hope they didn't make the mistake, I really trust this vet and after all the trouble with my last one (trying to charge £200 for a dental and doing £1000 worth of tests for E.Cuniculi) I'd hate to think that this one would make a mistake...there again, i am inclined to believe that we are all human and will make mistakes.

melaniejb said:
doing £1000 worth of tests for E.Cuniculi).

Jesus - the ELISA only costs 25 pounds even if you have a full bloodwork as well that is only 60 pounds so max total around 100 quid (my old vet charged 20 pounds for a vet to "review" the blood results :? ). What tests did they do?

Caz

P.S. No pound sign on this work PC :roll:

Caz said:
melaniejb said:
doing £1000 worth of tests for E.Cuniculi).

Jesus - the ELISA only costs 25 pounds even if you have a full bloodwork as well that is only 60 pounds so max total around 100 quid (my old vet charged 20 pounds for a vet to "review" the blood results :? ). What tests did they do?

Caz

P.S. No pound sign on this work PC :roll:

Every test under the sun!! He was xrayed, ultrasounded, about 5 different blood tests each costing £75!!!! Shocking!!! The sad thing is, we werent to know so 'happily' paid for it thinking that we were doing our best for Albie! It was only when they tried to hit us with 2 dentals at £200 each that we thought to call another vet...

Aaaannnyway!!! Just got back from our current vet and Poppy has a large scratch/graze in her eye...she's absolutely fine but is on some drops and she has to go back next week.

the sad news is that our vet is leaving... :cry: :cry: :cry:

Back