• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dillon's having his plums removed

lil_sar

Warren Scout
Hi everyone

Well i've just done the deed and booked Dillon in for castration next week...bless his cottons :oops:
Has anyone got any advise for me on how to prepare for when he comes back out of hospital?
I was going to give the vets a box of his favourite food as it appears that he will probably stay in over night.
Is it worth getting a heat pad- where do I get one from and how's best to prepare his cage for when he comes home?

thanks x

Most Vets allow Bucks home the same day as their op'
If your Vet keeps Dillon in overnight then by the time he gets home I doubt you'll notice much difference in him!! He should have fully recovered from the GA anyway so wont be sleepy.
You can buy Snuggle Safe heat pads from Pet Shops or online suppliers
http://www.snugglesafe.co.uk/
They are always useful to have even if you dont need it this time.
Dillon should be eating and poo'ing normally within 24 hours of his op'.
Most Bucks dont need any extra pain relief but if Dillon is not eating or if his plums look very swollen then you need to ask your Vet for another dose of anti-inflammatory medication and POSSIBLY a gut motility stimulant. But as I have said, most Bucks recover quickly from their op' as it is not as invasive as a spay.
Its a good idea to supply Dillon with his fave Veg and other food whilst he is at the Vets. The sooner he starts eating after his GA the better. He will need to be kept indoors for the first 24 hours after the GA (In a non-centrally heated room if he is an outdoor Bunny)

Janex

Also bed him down on newspaper and towels to prevent any debris getting stuck to his bits. Provide hay in a low down rack so he can easily reach it without stretching but not on the floor so he cant lie on it. He may also benefit from drinking out of a bowl for the first 24 hours.

My buck recovered really quickly from his neuter op. Other than being a bit quiet the first night he was the same as usual. He came home the same day. I did keep him shut in his cage for the evening to prevent him trying to jump around or anything that may hurt him and i bedded him on newspaper/blankets instead of hay.. I sent in a packed lunch of his favourite veggies, a little bag of pellets and some dried grass to tempt him when he woke in the vets... he also took his teddybear with him!
I hope Dillon recovers well from his :D

Thank you everyone for your advise, it's always nerve-wracking when a pet goes in for an operation so I just wanted to make him as comfortable as possible.
Hopefully the vet will allow him to come home in the evening- he's a house bunny so I will keep him in his cage to stop him hopping around for the evening.

I will keep you posted on how it goes x

Well after much grunting (from dillon, not me i must add) i've done the deed and taken him to the vets. I did tell him that he would get a ride in an ambulance but he still didn't look impressed :p
So now it's just the long wait to see how is neutering has gone- 3pm seems so far away. He might have to stay in overnigh. though.
Honestly, it's like having a child- i had to make sure he had a packed lunch and that his favourite toy went with hi, I'm sure the receptionist thought i was nuts.
Hey Ho, all for the love of my bun.

Sending Positive vibes (((())))))

All went well!!! phewwww.
Dillon had to stay in overnight- he was still asleep when the ambulance came to pick him up (which is unusual as he hates to miss out on all the action)
Brought him home at 4pm yesterday and he's up to his usual tricks and being a total pain in the wotsit.
Vets have given me some painkiller to put on his food and some gut motility stuff as he hadn't pood all day. Luckily didn't have to give him any as soon as he got indoors he ran straight to his litter tray and did the largest wee I'd ever seen and poo'd for england. He must have been holding it in all day :lol:
He's eating well and very chirpy, i'm so relieved.
He's got a funny blue dye all over his fur around the area- will that fade eventually?- he's a white bun with a blue bum :p

Awwww, the blue fur will go back to white again, My Dave had a little blue bum for a while too :lol:

Glad hes ok.

Tracey x

Back