• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

indoor flooring with weeing bunny

purplebumble

Warren Veteran
ok i have had it..poor berite just hashad enough with the flood etc and is now going backwards with his toilet training..but theres only a narrow strip of carpet left to try and keep buns comfy till house dries out to replace carpet. With a french lop a wee is a torrent! he does it around the food and water bowls especially but occasionally just where hes done it before for some reason or other..i have used white vinegar..hot soapy water..enzyme cleaner and febreeze!! no effect..so i put another tray again in the worst spto and for 2 days n nights no accidents but today hes weed in 2 places deliberately and over the edge of the tray by accident.
he has been treated for a bladder infection..no signs just weeing more than ever in more places and they said his bladder wall was thickened so i was hoping it was the infection but sadly dont think so..

I am not going to put carpet down like this..would i be better with laminate floors and big non slip washable rugs for a buny track area? my lounge isnt big enough to give them their own area but i wonder if laminate flooring is ok to clean squishy poos off of whentheyve been sat in or stood in! Also if bertie wees overnite will the wood be finished in the morning? Lino would be great but the furniture will make holes..and the insurance company have bene ultra tight even with a new for old policy! so tiels are out..

any advice folks?
I cannot turn him inot an outdoor bun again as bif wouldnt survive it..shjes too fond of comfort!
anyone else got a frenchie whos lazy or just wont get toilet trained? what flooring works best in the house for you? H E L P !!

I would definately go with laminate flooring its so much easier than cleaning a carpet!

try cleaning with biological washing liquid, the enyzmes neutralise the ammonia left by urine by breaking it down therefore helping to eliminate them weeing in the same spot because it smells of it there... thats the advice we give to puppy owners so I guess it should work on bun wee too!! Just another idea for you, have never had a house bun sorry, but you could also try moping up the wee with newspaper then putting it in the tray so he smells it there maybe??? good luck, x Jess

ah tried all that..its just the odd wee a day or every other day..its too much to handle! i dont get why he does it..maybe hes just lazy being such a large chap! :lol:

Hi there. I have used a really strong odour cleaner in the past which seems to be amazing at removing all smells and scents and would let you try again with the toilet training. I can't remember thename of it but its our in my shed. I will check the name of it first thing if you are interested!!
I got it from Nicole and its brill!

Fiona x

I would go for laminate flooring - get the ones that are suitable for kitchen/bathroom as they slightly more waterproof on the joins as they are glued. Also once the laminate is down you could put down some newspaper.

I have this problem with one of my cats - she keeps peeding NEXT TO the litter tray. It isnt every day but it DOES GET YOU DOWN so my sympathies to you x

The stuff is called simple solution and it's brill, takes away all odours and really cleans up stains. :D

I put lino down for my bunnies instead of carpet so that it is easy to clean up any spills. To begin with they didnt like walking on it as its a bit slippery for them but it actually helped to get them toilet trained quicker as they spent more time sat in the boxes of hay/litter i put in for them. I get the occassional puddle but mostly they are pretty tidy and they do walk/run/jump around on the lino now :D

If you look, you can find some lino/vinyl flooring that isn't very slippery. I have some really good stuff in my bunny room, it feels a bit rubbery and it has lots of grooves in it to imitate wood flooring. My bunnies hate slippery floors but run and jump on this stuff. I think that would be your best bet, and then if you want you can put some washable rugs on top of that.

Is it possible he has a mobility problem such as arthritis that makes it difficult for him to get in the box? Or if he's peeing over the side, maybe he needs a higher litterbox with one side cut down so he can get in? Maybe get him a big plastic storage container- I know people who use those as litterboxes for their flemish.

:shock: wow thanks for all the advice and info!
mm nicole its simple solution that ive been using after using white vinegar and oh febreeze anti bacterial! i cant afford a bucket of simple solutin a fortnight which is what it would take!

Mm i used a small dog savic carrier which i used for my big old moggies years ago and bertie fits in it too he had it as a nest box in his pen at frst like a doggy kennel! then he kept peeing in it so i took the lid off and turned it inot a tray..lovely high sides BUt he kept peeing out of the low entrance! Then after that he was jumping in and out the hard way! and it was too much effort so he didnt bother! I have tried a covered litter tray for a huge cat..and ive tried it minus the lid..ive used the ferplast trio tray and as long as he sits lengthways in it not widthways like he sometimes does..there are never any spills!
ive put the second tray back in the area where he pees and tis cut down the amount but i see two patches close to each other under the radiator..but could they be bif ..oh my..bertie was doing huge orangey red wees and he had antibiotics and hes doing pale wees now..
hes a small frenchie..he was 12lb now i think its more like 10lb cos i cut out his carb snacks until his tum is ok..and then they made him bad again so im giving him herbs and dried flowers instead of ryvita..digestive..wholemaeal toast..he has ss and as much timmy hay as he'll eat and grass mats..and i think he pees around the perimeter from time to time..but if hes depsreate he knows if he'll make it or not so he pees wherever is closest!
i hope he hasnt got arthritis..im going to see if when itake bif for her second opinion i can fit him in for his free bunny mot tommorrow..bet they wont!
My lounge is half carpeted and all upside down till i get new flooring thanks to burst mains pipe in oct! floors still drying out!..i wish i could have lino but the furniture would rip holes in wouldnt it..my 3 piece suite has wooden blocked feet! well thers the other half of the lounge where theres bare concrete after lifted tiles removed and the old slippery grey council floor tiles..nothing fazes bertie! He used to run thrugh the kitchen but since we got the kits he hasnt done that..just as well cos he may be huge but he can creep up on you suddenly on tiled floor..he pushes his body along i swear! not good when the ovens on! but then the kits are worse!

I worry bout him not getting enough exercise but these bunnies hardly move! put him in the garden..he has a quick nose then goes to sleep!
yep im gonna ring the carpet firm ive used before which are on the insurers list luckily and ask for a quote on wipeable flooring! the squishy poo probs arent funny with carpeting! the steam cleaner removes the stains after the cleaning it up..but thats so nasty on carpeting!

Laminate is great! :thumb: Squishy poos that have been dried on and squashed in can be removed with a squirt of hot soapy water left fr 5 mins followed by a thorough scrubbing. Leaves no trace and much less hassle than picking them out of a carpet! :shock: :lol:

AMETHYST

Back