• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

This is just what we don't need..

Another article suggesting rabbits are an 'easy' pet.

From Healthy magazine (sold in Holland and Barrats)

Pets Win Prizes

There is a way to boost your childs development and keep them occupied without switching on the TV-get a pet.
"Pets are great for teaching children responsibility, generosity and how to care for others" says clinical psychologist Linda Blair."Choose one your child can learn to care for easily, and be prepared to do some of the work yourself."
Rabbits are Britains third most popular pet, a good choice for little ones as they live outside, are tame and fairly cheap to look after.

I have emailed the editor with this reply

Dear Editor,

I bought 'Healthy' magazine for the first time this month, and have found it an interesting and informative read. However, one article caused me grave concern. On page 135 you printed an article 'Pets win prizes', suggesting that rabbits are cheap and easy pets, and good for children. This, I am afraid, is totally incorrect. Whilst a rabbit can be bought from a pet shop for about £10, it will require annual vaccinations for both myximatosis and VHD, average £20 each. Rabbits should be spayed or neutered, cost £40-60. They require a large hutch and run, minimum 6ft long by 2ft high and 2ft wide for the hutch, with at least as much space allowed for the run, preferably more. Rabbits are social creatures, and as such should be kept in pairs or groups, not singly. Also you state that rabbits are tame, this is also a fallacy. Rabbits are prey animals, and as such associate being picked up with being attacked by predators.

There are around 30,000 rabbits in rescues across the country who have been taken in from small, dingy hutches kept at the bottom of a garden, neglected and abandoned when the kids get bored with them.

If someone wishes to take on a rabbit or rabbits as pets, they should be prepared and understand the responsibilty they will be undertaking. The following websites provide valuable information.

http://www.rspca.org.uk/servlet/Satellite?pagename=RSPCA/RSPCARedirect&pg=RabbitsPetCare

http://www.animalrescueandcare.org.uk/

http://www.greenfieldsrescue.co.uk/

http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/

Your article was correct though, rabbits are wonderful pets. I have 7, and am currently fostering 2 for a rescue. They are intelligent and inquisitive creatures, they love to dig, and run, and provide myself and my family with hours of entertainment, not to mention love. My two children regularly help me out with the care and cleaning of the rabbits, and they are indeed learning how to take responsibilty for another life. They see that in wind, rain, snow, whatever the weather, the rabbits need to be cleaned and fed, they need care through the night when they are ill, and they reward you with love and affection..provided you have food or toys.

I would be grateful if you would publish this letter, if not in its entirity, then at least the salient points, as the attitude that rabbits are easy pets is one which must be overcome if the number of rabbits in rescue is ever to decline.

yours sincerely

Sally

That's a good letter :thumb: Will be interesting to hear if you get a reply.

Perhaps a similar letter needs to go out to all local press and schools - I'm sure we could co-ordinate a nationwide sending of letters. Anything to raise awareness of the plight of rabbits

It surprises me the amount of 'experts' that think kids will learn responsibility by being given a pet :roll: Kids learn responsibility by copying adults. If the parents hands the rabbit over and leaves the kid to it they won't learn anything... except that someone else will take on your responsibility when you get bored of it. Young children aren't able to be responsible for a rabbit. They can help out but they can't detect when a rabbit is ill and provide vet care.

If parents want to teach their children "responsibility, generosity and how to care for others" they should lead by example not expect a rabbit to do it for them!

Tam

Tamsin said:
It surprises me the amount of 'experts' that think kids will learn responsibility by being given a pet :roll: Kids learn responsibility by copying adults. If the parents hands the rabbit over and leaves the kid to it they won't learn anything... except that someone else will take on your responsibility when you get bored of it. Young children aren't able to be responsible for a rabbit. They can help out but they can't detect when a rabbit is ill and provide vet care.

If parents want to teach their children "responsibility, generosity and how to care for others" they should lead by example not expect a rabbit to do it for them!

Tam

Here here!

A great letter, and I totally agree with all points raised! An adult should always be the primary carer for any animal, with the kids helping out. THAT teaches them responsibility, NOT that if you get bored with it then it can be given away, or if it dies you can buy another one! :evil:

AMETHYST

:evil:
nothing like replacing that old tv set with a bunny huh!

that is a great letter btw :D :thumb: i hope they do publish it and that people take note of it and maybe get their kids a tamagotchi instead (do they still do those :? )

cheekytikki said:
that is a great letter btw :D :thumb: i hope they do publish it and that people take note of it and maybe get their kids a tamagotchi instead (do they still do those :? )

Yes I believe they do! :lol:

AMETHYST

I've been trying to find a contact address or email for the psychologist Linda Blair, I have got it down to Bath University, but can't get any closer, wonder if its worth sending her a letter snail mail

Thats a fantastic letter, everything you have said is so right!!! :D
My Mum and Dad bought me my first rabbit when I was ten but only after they had had a long disscusion about it first together and then with me. My Mum and Dad are animal lovers too and woudnt have even considered letting me have one if they had any doubts that I wouldnt have cared for her properly. Sadly my first bunny died when she was 2 so my dad said if we waited until spring we could get 2 (it was January at the time!) He built a massive hutch and we got 2 sisters!!
I got my first bunny 12 years ago and have been hooked ever since!!!!

I wish all parents thought about it so carefully when there children ask for pets and realised that a cute little baby bunny is for life not just until there child gets bored with it!!
it makes me so mad :evil: :evil: :evil:

Excellent response, I do hope that they print it in the next copy of the magazine for you. Well done.

Great Letter Sally, hope you do get it printed in its entirity, the more people realise how much care and time is needed to really look after a rabbit the quicker rabbits will not be abandoned and left to fend for themselves when people just cant be bothered anymore!

kayjay said:
That's a good letter :thumb: Will be interesting to hear if you get a reply.

Perhaps a similar letter needs to go out to all local press and schools - I'm sure we could co-ordinate a nationwide sending of letters. Anything to raise awareness of the plight of rabbits

I emailed our local papers in Nottingham, Derby and leicester to see if they would do an article on National Rabbit Week. I gave them a few website addresses too. I also emailed BBC Newsround and Blue Peter. I used to love Blue Peter when I was a child. i think they should have a couple of rescue buns as Blue Peter Pets - they have dogs and cats so why not buns. Could be a good way to set a good example to children. Although I don't think my letter to Blue Peter was that good. Maybe if a few of us wrote in they would do something

Great letter. :)

That is so true about kids only copying adults though. I always had pets when I was young, and what was drummed into me was that you should always keep the animal clean, but what wasn't was to research your animal, and feed good quality food etc. Oh and to take them to the vets for regular vaccinations, etc. And kids really don't notice things - I had a pregnant mouse and my mum suddenly noticed babies. How could I not have noticed that the mouse was getting fat?? :shock:

I think that is a shockingly irresponsible thing to put in a magazine. Makes me sooo angry. Im glad you wrote that letter. Maybe a few more of us could send the same message?

Back