• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A Rescue Who WILL Rehome a SINGLE House Rabbit if....

Aww I have homed a bun to be a singleton twice. In the first instance the bun in question attacked, very badly ,3 different does he was offered as a wife :( He went to a home with lots of space and toys, as well as , of course, attention.
the 2nd bun was Mickey who, like Loopy, craved human attention. He is also VERY short sighted. He went as a housebun with a couple who will spoil him....but they have promised to try to bond him sometime in the not too distant future :D
If a home had been offered for Patch (now at RB), or Bambi..the older ladies, I would have let them go as singletons to homes with people there all day....so it is possible to come across single buns from rescues. :D

I don't think this is so unusual, is it? I tink the majority of rescues will consider a bun going as a singleton in certain cases, particularly if it is going to be a house bun and it has some sort of history that means it may suit the rabbit better.

Most rescues will make exceptions if it's in the best interests of the rabbits e.g. the rabbit cannot be paired up. Another example: http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/moreinfo.asp?RabID=6432

If rabbits stayed in social groups from birth I don't think they'd be a problem with living with other rabbits but often they are seperated at what maybe a very young age, kept without companionship or may be neglected. I'm surprised really that there aren't more that there are difficulties pairing up. I think it's a testiment to how social rabbits are that you can take a five year old rabbit that's not seen another bunny since it was 8 weeks old and on most occations successfully pair them up.

i thought quite a few rescues will actually rehome single bunns?
I've personally come across a couple.

snowy said:
We rehome single buns if the circumstances are right!

Is this unusual then??

Well there had been some discussion about it in the past and some people had very fixed views about never re-homing single Bunnies. Or only re-homing a single Bun to go with a Bun the adopter already has Its great that it is not impossible to be able to rehome a single Bun from a rescue if it is appropriate for a particular Bunny :D

Janex

ARC only will rehome a single rabbit if it is to be a houserabbit and their owners either work from home or if they are around the majority of the time.

My Oscar is a single bun, but there is ALWAYS someone here with him.
I even take the children on holidays without my hubby and he stays at home with Oscar :lol: :lol: :lol: I couldn't trust leaving him with anyone else :D

Suzi Wong said:
My Oscar is a single bun, but there is ALWAYS someone here with him.
I even take the children on holidays without my hubby and he stays at home with Oscar :lol: :lol: :lol: I couldn't trust leaving him with anyone else :D

Two Bucks home alone !!! I bet they have a great time :lol: :lol:

Janex

After having single buns and pairs/trios, I'm glad rescues will only rehome single buns as an exception. I feel buns are far happier in pairs or groups - afterall, naturally they'd have companions. I feel that as owners it's our responsibility to provide the best we can. If we can't provide a sociable animal with suitable company then I think you should go for a different animal that you can meet the needs of.
I mean, how can you look at this and say bunnies don't need company ;)
triosnuggled.jpg

I also think rescues are kind of responsible for setting a standard. You can't go around claiming that bunnies are best in pairs and then turn around and routinely rehome them singly. Lots of people (not just in the rabbit community) ask why rescues are so fussy, and that they're wrong to 'doom' the animals to life in the rescue rather than make a compromise on the home they go to (slightly smaller housing than standard, going singly, going to someone with more pets than they have time with, going to someone who's away a lot, etc). Yes, you could rehome them to these and increase your "turnover" but if you make an exception for one person then you have to do it for everyone, and then these boundaries will be pushed too, and you'll be encroaching on what's best for the animals. If you stick to your guns, people will have to change and slowly it will become more and more accepted that your regulations are just what the animal deserves - space, companionship, attention, etc.

Karly said:
I also think rescues are kind of responsible for setting a standard. You can't go around claiming that bunnies are best in pairs and then turn around and routinely rehome them singly. Lots of people (not just in the rabbit community) ask why rescues are so fussy, and that they're wrong to 'doom' the animals to life in the rescue rather than make a compromise on the home they go to (slightly smaller housing than standard, going singly, going to someone with more pets than they have time with, going to someone who's away a lot, etc). Yes, you could rehome them to these and increase your "turnover" but if you make an exception for one person then you have to do it for everyone, and then these boundaries will be pushed too, and you'll be encroaching on what's best for the animals. If you stick to your guns, people will have to change and slowly it will become more and more accepted that your regulations are just what the animal deserves - space, companionship, attention, etc.

Absolutely right :D

I agree that Rabbits need companions of their own kind. I was not suggesting otherwise :D
I am just pleased most rescues also take into account 'special circumstances' :D :D :D :D

Janex

Jack's-Jane said:
I agree that Rabbits need companions of their own kind. I was not suggesting otherwise :D
I am just pleased most rescues also take into account 'special circumstances' :D :D :D :D

Janex

Not aimed at you Jane - we don't have to worry about you having a single bun :lol:
Just that I've seen recently a lot of people (as said, not just bunny people) moaning at rescues for not making exceptions to their rules. Rescues are almost always about the bigger picture too - yes you could concentrate on rehoming as many animals as possible, and 'save' more animals in need but I think realistically rather than deal with the backlash of problems, you need to tackle them head on and start the change for yourself. If people are told by rescues that such and such needs to be done before they can adopt an animal, hopefully people will go away with a new opinion and do the changes necessary - and more importantly, pass this info on to friends and family as well.

Hi I am NEW. I haven’t introduced myself because my rabbits passed away lately. So disn’t see the point.

I have to agree and disagree. I really don’t think it’s up to the customer to change. The supplier HAS to change for the customer, its how it’s always been. If you can’t change for your customers they will go somewhere else as there is always competition. I don’t have a problem with either paired or single rabbits as I have had them all. I am 43 years of age and lived with rabbits all my life, and having kept rabbits together from birth have often found at least one that didn’t get along with the group, and therefore had to be single. I will say though, that most single rabbits will form a special bond with their human friends more then rabbits together. Rabbits will often look at their human friend as their own species and won’t really know otherwise. The only type of rabbit that gets a little nervous is the more timid ones; however I have found these to be slightly timed no matter what you do.

I have read so much on this forum over the past few weeks, and I can’t say I have ever seen a “wrong” post.

Maxwell :)

I agree that supply-demand applies to a certain extent but a rescues aim is not the same as a businesses. For example a petshop is a business. The more they sell the more cash they make so they try to meet their customers wants. The customer wants cheap and convenient in general they won't pay £60 for a neutered/vacced rabbit because they can get a standard rabbit for £20 and don't see the 'extra features' as desirable.

A rescue on the other hand isn't working for profits, in fact they usually make a loss. Their goal is to find an excellent home for each individual bunny. That means they have higher standards and certainly a smaller customer base but as profit isn't their goal it's not a point anyway.

It is a bit of a juggle though because rescues do want to increase their customer base but not at the cost of lowering their standards. So if you can't change your product you have to make your customers want the product you're offering. We need to rebrand rabbits so that 'extra features' become so desirable people will pay a premium and provide the extra care they need or they'll decide that they don't want a bunny at all.

I think part of the issue is that people currently have a misconception about what they are buying. for example they don't realise how much maintence costs are.

Rescues are often pretty useless at advertising themselves, it would be fun to see what the PR/Brand consultants big companies employ could do with them :D

Rescues aren't businesses and owners aren't consumers though :? This is another thing rescues have to battle with - animals aren't the latest toys or gadgets that can be returned or discarded when the children are bored or you're fed up of cleaning them out. It's not a case of competing with petshops or breeders, but educating people into why they should rescue, and the correct care. I find it horrible when people refer to animals as products - they're living things!
I'm not saying every rabbit will definately get along with another rabbit, I'm saying rescues shouldn't rehome single rabbits as a regular thing as this will encourage people to do it with other rabbits, regardless of whether they'll get along with others or not. Lots of people do things wrong with their animals because petshops have told or shown them that it's "OK", we need rescues to set the right example - who else will if not them?

Back