• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Female Bunnies - Spaying/Uterine Cancer Risks

fluffiebunnie

Warren Veteran
Please can you experienced bunny carers please help me make a decision regarding my five month old bunny Twinkle.

Do any of you know statistics regarding unspayed bunnies dying from uterian cancer?

Do any of you know statistics regarding females dying during or post op spaying?

What is the likelihood of hormonal behaviour if she is not spayed and how would that affect her relationship with her husbun??

What is the likelihood of her not being accepted back by her husban after being separated after the op??

So many things to consider and at the moment I am erring on the side of not spaying her unless she becomes hormonal in the future.

Any input will be appreciated and all views welcome so that I can make an infrormed choice :D

I posted this in the thread about 'Molly' :

Uterine Cancer is likely to occur by the age of 3 in 80% of entire Does. My most recent rescue, Meg, had an ENORMOUS adenocarcinoma removed a couple of weeks ago. Meg is not an old Bunny.

I would advise you check out how Rabbit savvy your Vet is. Questions to ask are:

1-Have they done a lot of Rabbit spays?

2- Should a Rabbit be starved before the GA (The answer should be NO!!)

3- Do they use internal suturing to close the wound? (This leaves nothing for the Bun to nibble)

4-Do they ROUTINELY give Metoclopromide AFTER the op' to get the guts going?

5-Do they give pain relief AFTER the GA ?

6-If the Bun has to be hospitalised overnight is there a Vet Nurse onsite ALL NIGHT?

If you are in any doubt about the competence of your Vet the shop around until you find one you feel you can trust.
Remember, the threads on hear about spay complications are the MINORITY. My Vet spays hundreds of Rabbits and has the proceedure off to a fine art.

Look at this neat little scar!!

Picture178.jpg

Deaths DURING neutering are very rare, about 2% I think. These deaths are usually due to a previously undiagnosed heart condition.

Hormal behaviour in entire Does is 'normal'. This can include aggression and pseudo-pregnancy

My Vet always likes to admit bonded Bunnies together so really the only time they are seperated is when the Doe is on the operating table and then waking up from the GA.

I am 100% PRO Spaying :D

Janex

Thanks Jane - your point regarding putting them back together immediately is contradicted by comment in the website link that was posted above??

Keep a newly spayed female away from all male rabbits (neutered or not), as serious internal damage can be caused if a male mounts her.

fluffiebunnie said:
Thanks Jane - your point regarding putting them back together immediately is contradicted by comment in the website link that was posted above??

Keep a newly spayed female away from all male rabbits (neutered or not), as serious internal damage can be caused if a male mounts her.

I'd have to say that after she had woken up the vet will put them back together, so they both smell the same, in my experience (only 1 :lol: ).
Dougal was too concerned about Mhairi to annoyer her.

I'm very pleased I had Pippa spayed as prior to that she was really hormonal, constantly making nests and looking for her non existent babies which I felt to be more 'cruel' than putting her through surgery. She was also very territorial and moody and I really don't think she'd have been able to be bonded unless spayed.

It was a really worrying few days but afterwards she's so much happier and no more nesting and of course got MJ!

My vet's advice sheet said to bring in any partners to avoid breaking a bond and the vet told me that 85% buns get uterine cancer so she might end up needing surgery to save her in a couple of years anyway.

It is a big decision, good luck making it!

Well you know the problems I've had with Molly but I don't regret having her spayed. .. I am still glad I had her done I would hate to think she would have health problems later in life & I could of done something about it..
Yes Molly has had a rough time & I think that was due to my vet maybe not giving her what was needed... I am so thankful to you all on here because if it wouldn't of been for you especially jane I wouldn't of known that Molly was so ill.. I would of trusted the vets & maybe not taken her back to the vets until it was time for her appointment on Monday...

nicole said:
fluffiebunnie said:

I'd have to say that after she had woken up the vet will put them back together, so they both smell the same, in my experience (only 1 :lol: ).

I have never, ever experienced a problem in the 60+ Does I have had spayed and they have ALWAYS remained with their partner :D

Janex

I had big problems after my 2 were spayed (both got gut stasis). It was an incredibly worrying time. However, it was the best thing I could have done. Apart from the cancer risks, they are much happier bunnies - Clover is now less dominating, and Dusty is less stroppy and bitey! :shock: :lol:

I totally agree with Jane - I think the problems that my buns had after their spays was caused by lack of pain relief. Plus they weren't given meto-wotsit (gut stimulant!) as a matter of course.

Molly's story (as well as all the others) have frightended me TBH.

I know my male bunny was well looked after at my vets including an overnight stay with his neutering. I know they say DONT starve the bunny before the op and I know I have never had a problem with my vet.

But

They didnt give me any painkiller to administer once he was home (although he could of had that the following day as he was at the vets from his overnight stay until late afternoon the next day).

I had to take him back for stitch removal ten days later so they didnt use dissolvable ones.

I dont know if they gave him gut stimulant after the op.

AND

Females seem to suffer more after the op as it is a bigger op and more problems can occur.

I think the key is they're already bonded and don't spend enough time apart to upset the bond. You wouldn't want to bond bunnies straight after a spay or if they'd been seperated a few days.

One of the rescues could probably tell you about their experience with older does and incidence of cancer. I seem to remember someone (possibly Janice , ARC or Tracy, RNGP?) saying their vet often found the start of cancer changes in older does.

Tam

I was scared too and have decided that I'll never rescue/buy another unspayed doe as I don't want the anxiety, I'll always rescue a doe who's already been spayed.

However, by getting Twinkle as a baby means you are facing that decision and it is a hard one but it may seem easier as she gets older and more hormonal (as I'm sure she will :wink: ). I personally feel it's a responsible thing to do for the bunny and worth the risk but obviously it's your decision alone.

Tamsin said:
I think the key is they're already bonded and don't spend enough time apart to upset the bond. You wouldn't want to bond bunnies straight after a spay or if they'd been seperated a few days.

One of the rescues could probably tell you about their experience with older does and incidence of cancer. I seem to remember someone (possibly Janice , ARC or Tracy, RNGP?) saying their vet often found the start of cancer changes in older does.

Tam

ARC's Vet is the one I use (Christobel) She has found cancerous changes in the uterus of Does as young as 2!! :shock: :shock:

Janex

I feel the same - I would find it very difficult to go through that again. Having said that, I would make sure I had booked some time off work etc. Last time I deliberately had it done on a Friday, thinking that I could then check they were OK over the weekend. Well, that's all very well, but not so good if you want to see a vet over the bloomin' weekend!!

Jack's-Jane said:
nicole said:
fluffiebunnie said:

I have never, ever experienced a problem in the 60+ Does I have had spayed and they have ALWAYS remained with their partner :D

Janex[/quote

Pickle does chase her a bit still (even though he neutered) when they are in the run. Do you think she will be ok with him straight away?? Should I keep them out of the run so he cannot chase her for a bit??

Also I have seen how horrible a Uterine Cancer can be for a Bunny.
A friends 4 year old unspayed Doe started to have respiratory problems. The Vet treated her with antibiotics but within 24 hours the Doe was gasping for breath and died on the way back to the Vet. A PM revealed a massive Uterine Tumour with lung metastisis. It was a horrid way to lose a Bunny as it certainly was not a peaceful passing... :cry:

Janex

I can understand the thinking but must admit to being unsure over routinely spaying all does just to prevent cancer, it's like routinely doing mastectomies to women to prevent breast cancer :?

The benefit I see to the doe is the improved moods and less hormones to bother her with and she can be with a buck without increasing the bun population. If you think that rabbits are breeding machines, it's quite cruel to deny them that and expect them to be happy and at least spaying stops their natural instincts to nest etc.

kayjay said:
I can understand the thinking but must admit to being unsure over routinely spaying all does just to prevent cancer, it's like routinely doing mastectomies to women to prevent breast cancer :?

The benefit I see to the doe is the improved moods and less hormones to bother her with and she can be with a buck without increasing the bun population. If you think that rabbits are breeding machines, it's quite cruel to deny them that and expect them to be happy and at least spaying stops their natural instincts to nest etc.

http://www.houserabbit.co.uk/rwf/articles/uterine.htm

http://www.houserabbit.co.uk/rwf/articles/neutleaf.htm

Janex

Both very good articles Jane - thanks.

They say to keep the spayed female caged for 5-6 days after - does this mean not outside in their hutch/run??

I have an indoors cage but assume is for a baby bunny. Would be ok for one bun to convalese (sp?) but two might be a bit crowded??

Back