• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Anyone have experience with English angoras and spinning?

TinaM

New Kit
:?: Hi, I'm new to this forum so don't know if this has been discussed before. I am in U.S., California to be exact. I have two dwarf house bunnies but am very interested in crafts also. I have been investigating getting 3 or 4 English angoras and using the hair in my crafts. However, they would have to be outside bunnies as I live in a very tiny farm house which is now full of 12 indoor animals.

Anyone with experience in this direction? Would love to hear about other experiences.

Thanks!

I have heard of people spinning using angora rabbit fur. Though I don't know anything more specific. Perhaps there is a group somewhere that could give more info on that aspect.

On keeping them - I'm not sure what the weather is like in your area? Angora's matt easily especialy if they get damp. I'd recommend a shed or converted childrens playhouse for keeping the group in. If the weather there is chilly you might need to fit a heater so you don't need lots of bedding as straw makes them matt. Using lino or carpet on the floor would be best and then litter trays for toilet corners with wood based none clumping cat litter. In essence mimic indoors outdoors :) Hay in hayracks so they're not walking around in it. Obviously they need a lot of grooming but presumably you'd need to do that anyway to collect the fur.

Best wishes,
Tamsin

Back