• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The Binky - what is it?

elve

Banned
I can't decide on the binky. Do bunnies do it (hurl themselves skyward, twisting and kicking up their heels) as an expression of joy, as we so fondly believe, OR do they binky as an automatic response to being in a place where they feel exposed and threatened?

I've noticed mine binky when out in the open garden, or when they think I'm trying to catch them up, or when around another rabbit that they feel unsure of, or defiant of.

This makes me think of a rabbit being chased by a predator. How would it escape the jaws closing fast on it's tail? Well, by leaping, twisting and kicking sideways of course! That would confound any predator!

When Tia was alive, she'd hurtle round the garden, binkying so hard she didn't stop to eat the grass. She looked so suprised every time she landed, like, 'What on earth did I just do then??!' A bit like a baby after it sneezes :lol:

It was great to watch because she looked 'happy' by human standards of behaviour, but rabbits aren't human - Did she, I wonder just feel more vulnerable out there, having always been a hutch bunny before, and instinct kicked in with the binky behaviour?

If only they could talk! :)

I don't think it's frightoned behaviour as even with acess to a 'safe place' my binkying buns have never finished their routine by hiding.

I think I read somewhere that it was common in babies as a fun way to practice skills needed for escape. So, it could be linked with it. Like the pouncing games kittens play are actually practice fun hunting.

Tam

Ours do it as a temper tantrum too. ie, when it's time to go to bed and they don't want to, or if I continually block them off from some favourite hidey hole.

Back