• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

digging

touie

Wise Old Thumper
Does anyone else have problems with their bunnies digging in the litter trays , last week both Sugarplum and Twinkle had been digging, not sure if it's an unspayed female thing and they're just getting to that age as it was the first time they had done it? :?

my group of unspayed girls have started making a right mess of the shed now - I guess it's Spring (not that I've noticed!) The really annoying thing is that it ruins the eating hay as they shovel wee soaked litter over it :roll:

Forgot to say - once summer came last year, the girls got seriously broody, although thankfully only one at a time! The 'mother' of the group would make a fabulous nest in one of the litter trays, and pull all her sister's fur out to make this nest! She was quite savage, yanking away at her sisters, but they were amazingly tolerant for a change, like they knew it was in a good cause - although they did run away as it probably hurt!

As no bunny was allowed to use the nest tray for a toilet, I had to put a couple of extra trays in the shed for hay eating and toileting. The broody bunny went around all the litter trays gathering as much hay as she could, so no bunny had anything left to eat :lol: She dropped half of it on the floor anyway - you wouldn't believe how much she stuffed in her mouth! She couldn't carry it all though, so there was plenty, but I went through hay like water :roll:

They made a 'warren' with all the litter trays, which were high-sided and with 6 of them, covered the floor of the shed, so they'd run between the trays like it was a maze - They loved it! I left the nests for a week or 2, since no bunny was toileting there, and then I just cleaned out the tray and they seemed to have forgotten all about it. This went on for weeks with 4 of them getting broody one after the other - Thanks for reminding me what to expect this summer - I'd better stock up on hay! :lol:

Jen loves digging - I've put two large boxes filled with hay and shredded paper into her playroom for her to dig out and save my carpet! :lol:

She's continued to do this despite her spay - I think some buns are just natural 'diggers' :D

I'm quite glad I didn't realise that spraying rabbits can help prevent digging, so I didn't get my hopes up with mine! :lol:

The fact that my 2 are diggers is what got them kicked out of their house and into mine in the first place. :(

Back