• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Does going through a Moult depress your Rabbits?

Sooz

Wise Old Thumper
Marley is having a really heavy moult at the moment and seems a little on the miserable side. He dosnt want to play and isnt in the mood for cuddles. There is nothing wrong with him health wise, ie all the vitals are OK, so could it just be this thats depressing him?

Appetite is fine, wee fine, poo fine, eyes fine, ears fine, mouth and teeth fine, tummy fine, no fleas or mites, even his claws are fine. I have checked the lot and there is nothing wrong with him. He isnt showing any signs of pain either apart from being a grump!

Sooz22 said:
Appetite is fine, wee fine, poo fine, eyes fine, ears fine, mouth and teeth fine, tummy fine, no fleas or mites, even his claws are fine. I have checked the lot and there is nothing wrong with him. He isnt showing any signs of pain either apart from being a grump!

I would just keep a wee eye on him :wink:

I give mine a lot more food (pellets) when they're moulting, as they definitely look 'run down' to me - fur is made from protein after all. I also give them a bromelain tablet from holland and barrett, just to help - it cheers them up too! :)

Ill try that, :D
His fur looks a right state, staring I think is the term. The odd thing is that he is a little Dutch and I didnt think they moulted that heavily.

Elve, do you get the chewable ones from H+B? Just had a look on the website as Amy is moulting loads at the mo + having suffered from stasis in December I want to do everything I can to avoid a repeat episode!!

Nicola

Hi there. I notice a difference in how playful my buns are at moulting time. Maybe they get tired grooming themselves? Mind you, my rabbit gang keep pulling sickies at the moment so my opinion probably doesn't count here. :lol:

I can't get my bunnies to take anything remotely good for breaking up hair. My vet said that he didn't expect the Dutch/short coat to cause a lot of problems with hair compared to some other breeds but I can't believe the amount of hair left on my top/jumper when I have been holding them so I disagree.

I'm sure Nicole has bought the chewable papaya version of that tablet mentioned above. I think its next to the chewable bromelain tablet. Sure its only about £2.99 for quite a lot of them. I don't know whether the pineapple or papaya is better?

Fiona x

Back