• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Shock! Not Cleaned Benny's Hutch for 3 weeks!!!

elve

Banned
:eek: Or is it 4?

Every week I go to clean it out, and every week he looks outraged at having his bedroom roof lifted off - I haven't the heart to destroy his lovely cosy bed :shock:

P1010149.jpg

You'll be relieved to hear that the 'toilet tray' in the run underneath is regularly cleaned and washed! :D

P1010054.jpg

The longest I've left his bedroom hutch for is about 3 months I think - last winter :shock: By the time I tipped his bed out the hay was high enough for him to rest his little chin on the edge of the box whilst lounging - awww :lol:

I cleaned Toffee and Caramels bed out for the first time since last winter today :oops: :shock: its in the little 3ft hutch in their shed, they don't use it very often so I never change it, but thought it was about time they had some nice fresh straw in it!

I must say I only clean Amy's bedroom bit out about once a month - she is such a clean girly, all poops and wees in litter tray downstairs! Same with Princess, she has a covered cat tray in her shed, that's done about once a month. (Though the shed is done every week and litter tray every day!)

Nicola

Mine have their litter trays changed every other day, but the rest of the run I sweep out once a week, and change bedding etc every week/fortnight depending on how much hay is left!

I change the litter tray daily and pick up any poo`s in the shed and have a good tidy as well.

Luckily Sandy and Mia are very clean and wee and mostly poo in their tray :D :D

Mandy

I think if they are using the litter tray then they dont need as much cleaning out, I do litter trays and sweep around daily and full hutch weekly, disinfectant monthly...or more if there have been any accidents :oops:

God Id never b able to do that, my boys are messy! If there is a tray in their run they will use it too, mainly just for poo's, but they like to pee in the corner where there bed is. I've put a corner litter tray in to make it a bit easier, but they now use it and the corner next 2 it as well. Their bed is always full of poos all well, they won't look at the hay in their hay rack most of the time, but they munch the stuff in their bed so thr's always loads of poos in it. Jst now I'm doing their litter tray/wee corner every 2nd day and prob do the full thing about once a week or so.

phew i dont feel so guilty now :D

mine usually get a full clean our weekly but since moving them to carpet they havent been done for nearly 2 weeks :shock: their litter tray is cleaned out daily and i clear up any stray bits of hay, straw, poop daily too and clean their water etc but havent hoovered their carpet fully, not that its dirty :) good little bunnies :lol:

then again i do have to clean my bed daily too where they (somehow :? ) transport hay up there on a daily basis! :?:

Jen has always been quite messy, but I noticed that since her spay last week she's been very good about poo'ing and wee'ing only in her litter tray (uh, has anyone else noticed that with their buns post neutering??). I've been changing her litter every other day for about a week and she's consistently gone back to using the litter.

I completely cleaned out her hutch today but it almost felt like a waste taking the straw out of her nest compartment, it looked so clean! :D

Same here, my buns use a tray in their run so they're bed stays clean. It does seem a bit pointless removing clean/dry straw and replacing it with the same.

Tam

am I the only one who empties litter trays weekly, otherwise it would be really expensive on wood pellets, I get through 30l a week as it is? :shock: :oops:

touie said:
am I the only one who empties litter trays weekly, otherwise it would be really expensive on wood pellets, I get through 30l a week as it is? :shock: :oops:

I empty mine every other day or so but use newspaper and shavings which works fine as it's outside and shavings are loads cheaper than wood litter

I think a lot depends on how big the trays are - mine are all storage boxes or the bottoms of old guinea pig trays, much bigger than cat litter trays.

I used to do my litter trays obsessively, but I force myself to ignore the mess for a week now (on account of wanting a life!) - so long as it doesn't smell and they're not actually sat on the muck - I guess I'll have to do them more in summer due to flies.

And I usually have to do one of the girls one's early too - they are now digging and it's their favourite 'toilet' of the 3 trays they have in the shed :roll:

Benny's litter tray has even been left a fortnight - it's huge (over 2' long) and he does all the wee and poo at one end, then it gets covered with old hay he's riffled through - or I put some woodshavings on top of the muck for a couple of days, as they smell nicer than megazorb. He's such a clean boy! :D

Maa wastes so much hay that she's on a 6" bed of it by the end of the week - lovely and dry but yuk at the bottom when I tip it out! I put tons of Megazorb in as she's a wee machine! Newspaper is hopeless with my lot - they just eat it and throw it in their water dishes (Maa won't drink from a bottle much)

I always used to do a full clean once a week and the littler tray everyday but I have to admit that in recent weeks I have been doing the litter tray every 3rd day and the hutch about once a fortnight. My lot only ever wee in the litter tray so I just give that corner a good clean when I empty it but leave the rest now. I was going through huge amount of hay and newspapers and Holly, bless her, was getting really narked :x at me when I emptied her house every week! She would look at me like I'd interferred with her home! :roll:

The summer months is different as they don't have so much hay for bedding, just for eating, so I clean them everyday.

I only clean out the bed area once a month or so because there isn't any point in messing up their nice 'nest' area they've made to sleep in when the straw is still clean. I do however clean out the day area once a week and the litter tray once or twice a day. :D

Back