• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Keeping more than 2 house rabbits

Hello,
This is my first post on the forum, hope you can help :)

Lost our dear old house bunny Merlot before Christmas and had just found a new companion (Gerry) for Sweep, his ladybun, when she became ill. She sadly died a few days later, didn't really know what was wrong - an autopsy has shown she had uterine tumours (will have any future females spayed).

Anyway back to the question, now going to get a new female as well (from RSPCA) but with so many rabbits needing homes wondered how possible/practical it would be to add another pair (4 rabbits in total). They would have run of house and garden, trained Sweep to use rabbit flap and should be able to do same with new buns so can come and go as they please during the day. Think if we're going to have more than 2 now is the best time as it will be neutral ground for all of them.

What are your thoughts and experiences?

Hiya, welcome to RU :D

Sorry about you losing your buns, how awful for you. There are people on here with large bonded groups indoors and outdoors so I'm sure you'll get good advice soon

Kathryn x

I don't see any reason why not, especially if the rescue could help out with bonding.
Just so long as you are prepared for all the sweeping up :wink:

Hello, it's a great idea in theory. I'm assuming they would all live together? I would though have a plan b just in case they don't get on. Could you have 2 separate pairs if it doesn't work out? Just a thought b-m

Thank you for all your welcomes :D I love your bunny photos, what gorgeous rabbits :)

In reply to b-m yes would all live together, don't have space indoors to keep pairs seperate. How did you bond yours, have they been together since a young age?

I currently have 4 bunnies in my kitchen, I was in a similar position to you & had a widowed bunny. We tried to bond her with 2 others, who came from a rescue together. She was having none of it & 1 of the 2 new rabbits hated her - with a passion. She ended up with stitches & feeling very sorry for herself.

However, I was already attached to new bunnies & one of them had bad dental problems, so the rescue would have no choice but to have him put to sleep. Obviously I had to keep them. We are now trying to bond the original bunny with another rabbit & that seems to be going ok, but tine will tell.

Consequently, my kitchen is now split in two, it is very inconvenient, always a mess & drives us insane, but we made the choice to keep all 4, so we will have to live with it, until we move to a bigger house.

I hope that if you decide to do it, it goes well, but you really do need a backup plan or be prepared not to get attached to all the bunnies, as they may need to be rehomed.

Hi

We were hoping to have a foursome of house bunnies but unfortunately the two pairs absolutely hate each other!! Tried everything possible to bond them but no joy (it got sooo vicious). So they are now one pair of house buns and one pair outside with a rota of time spent in the house. If you are lucky enough to get a foursome that get on then don't see any reason why you couldn't have them all in the house. think of all the extra mischief!! :lol:

Hello :wave:

I think it sounds like a great idea but yes, definatley a back up plan. I think it is possible and some people on here have much bigger groups. Just out of interest do people have more success if they try to bond bunnies one by one or pair by pair?

We wanted to bond all 6 of ours (previously in 3 bonded pairs), but Miles and Benny haven't stopped hating each other, so we had to give up. :( However, 4 of them bonded! :thumb: Just have a contingency plan in case it doesn't work. Good luck! :)

AMETHYST

sophy said:
Hi

We were hoping to have a foursome of house bunnies but unfortunately the two pairs absolutely hate each other!! Tried everything possible to bond them but no joy (it got sooo vicious). So they are now one pair of house buns and one pair outside with a rota of time spent in the house. If you are lucky enough to get a foursome that get on then don't see any reason why you couldn't have them all in the house. think of all the extra mischief!! :lol:

Ditto although I never actually tried bonding as it was obvious from the outset it wasn't going to work out! We had both pairs indoors for about a year, separated by a baby gate. It was mostly ok, but you had to be really really careful not to ever leave the gate open (once I did and Sylvia attacked Humphrey, it is the only time I have ever heard a rabbit scream with fright). Now (partly for safety reasons, partly for my sanity!) Humphrey and Tilly are outside in a converted shed, Sylvia and Oli indoors free range, and they take rotas in the garden. b-m

Back