• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Molly had to go back to the vets today

karen354

Warren Veteran
Oh god what a day :( :( :(
Molly was spayed Tuesday we've been back to the vets 4 or 5 times since then because she hasn't been eating..
Thursday night she started eating very small amounts but by this morning still no poos...
I decided she needed to go back to the vets this morning.. My hubby took her in as I had to take my mum somewhere..
Anyway the vet checked her out & found that she'd popped some of her stitches, Andy had to leave her there & go back 1 1/2 hours later.
When he got there the vet wasn't happy how she'd come round from the anaesthetic so he went back after a few hours later .. :( :( :(
Poor hubby was nearly crying when he had to leave her there..
Shes home now though still very groggy but should be okay hopefully, we are taking her back Monday..
What a stressful emotional day :(

Sending loads of ((hugs)) and vibes for her to recover soon. It is so worrying isn't it. Come on Molly, get better for your mum and dad

Ohhhh I am so sorry :cry: I hope poor little Molly starts to improve soon, sending lots of vibes to her :love: :love: :love: :love:

Oh it is so worrying.. My eyes are sore from crying I feel awful :(
I don't know why but I thought we were going to lose her I had an awful feeling..
Can't wait for her to get back to her self & get up to silly things like she usually does.. I will sleep on the sofa tonight so I can keep a check on her my poor little baby..

I posted this on your other thread but thought I'd post here too incase you missed it.

'Can you ask the Vet to use INTERNAL Sutures. It make a huge difference.
I would also insist on a course of antibiotics now if she has opened the wound. (At least a 7 day course)
She will also need DAILY pain relief plus Metoclopromide (Metoclop' til she is eating and pooing normally.
Your Vet may put an Elizabethan Collar on Holly but my Vet is against their use on Rabbits. She believes they are far too stressful for a prey animal and can infact hinder recovery (due to extra stress they cause) They also make it impossible for the Bun to eat their caecotrophs'.

Poor Holly and You.... :cry:

Shes on antibiotics but they haven't given me any pain relief to give her :evil: ... ... Shes got a collar but like you have said I'm sure it'll be to stressful for her to wear..

It took ages for Pippa to feel better and I felt soooo guilty for putting her through it, so I know how you feel. My vet didn't check her until 10 days post op and she'd removed her stitiches but we didn't know when as I found her really hard to pick up and check back then.

I've got everything crossed for her

karen354 said:
Shes on antibiotics but they haven't given me any pain relief to give her :evil: ... ... Shes got a collar but like you have said I'm sure it'll be to stressful for her to wear..

PLEASE contact the Vet again to request analgesia. Molly may have bitten at the wound because it HURT in the first place.
If she had another GA today she should also have been given pain relief but she needs something for tomorrow and possibly a few more days thereafter.

Arrrrrrgh I really cannot understand how some Vets think it acceptable not to prescribe analgesia for a Rabbit. Particularly one who has had their abdomen opened and then sewn up.....TWICE!!... :x

Janex

Oh I'm so sorry you are having such problems :( I was very lucky with Amy post op as she started nibbling the night I got her home. But she did have tummy problems before Xmas where she stopped eating for a couple of days, very worrying. You sound like you are doing everything you can though.

I would say don't use the collar, I had a little boy called Magic about 8 years ago (was very new to bunny owning + went with what vet said) and the vet gave him a collar to wear - he got quite stressed and unfortunately passed away the day his staples were due out. He had removed his stitches 3 times! Looking back now I know that he obviously died from the stress of the collar :( Makes me very sad thinking about it.

Hope she is soon feeling better and eating, I would ask your vet for a bottle of Metacam so you can administer it at home.

Nicola

Molly had healed up nicely aswell apart from the stitch she'd pulled out in the middle...When I had Bertie neauetd her was great after his operation I knew Molly operation is a bigger op but didn't think she'd be a poorly after it...
I've got a foster bun that I'm going to get neauted soon so hopefully with him being a boy he'll be okay after it..

After Pippa I said that I wouldn't get another unspayed doe, any does I adopt in the future will be already spayed, let someone else do the worrying......

Just phoned the vets the practice is now closed...
They are not open now until Moday morning..
Shes perked up now & seems to be going for stitches we are watching her like a hawk just to make sure she doesn't open the stitches again..

aaawwwww poor molly sending lots of nose rubs and hugs for a speedy recovery poor thing xx
Does your vets practice not have an out of hours number? I wouldn't let them charge you extra for something they should have really given you in the first place though

Keep strong x

I have heard (not tried it) that you can make a tube bandage from a chopped off piece of a leg from a pair of tights - Wrap a clean, folded tea-towel around Molly's middle, over the wound, and fasten in place with the leg from the pair of tights?

Better than a head collar, although no doubt she'll chew at it.

I must say your vet makes me want to scream :evil: And they get paid full whack for ignorance - My vet goes to several small animal welfare conferences a year, to update her knowledge, so there's no excuse!

Hope poor Molly recovers soon - you must be worried sick (((hugs)))

karen354 said:
Just phoned the vets the practice is now closed...
They are not open now until Moday morning..
Shes perked up now & seems to be going for stitches we are watching her like a hawk just to make sure she doesn't open the stitches again..

So they dont have out of hours cover then :?
If they do have an emergency number on their a'phone I'd call it. I am sorry, but your Vet leaving Molly without analgesia is UNFORGIVABLE :evil:
If your Vet has no a/phone message as to whom to contact in an emergency I would strongly advise you call another Vet. Molly cant be allowed to be in pain until Monday as :
1-she will pull at her sutures again (which are no doubt not internal.... :censored: )

2- Her gut motility will be compromised putting her at risk of GI Stasis

*Jane attempts not to get more cross with silly Vet*

Janex

Phoned the emergency vet he said that the painkiller Molly had today would be effective until Monday :? :?
I see him 9.20 am Monday morning.

Back