• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

May sound bizarre...

Dobbin

Mama Doe
but pleassssssseeeeeeeeeeeee could people post a picture today of their bubs food bowl? Please state if this is what they get all day or twice a day etc and how many buns it is for?

Thank you - i am sorry to be a pain i am just woried i am underfeeding my two, they have constant access to hay.

I hope no one minds me askin :oops: :oops: :oops:

Thank you

sue
xx

I use a quality mix and give them one large scoop a day (the scoop you get in petshops) which fills one of the brown ceramic bowls up. Once it's gone it's gone! I've tried them with all sorts of pellets but they just won't eat them. They don't selectively eat, it all gets eaten.

If you follow the quantities given on the back of your food, you can't go wrong I would think. I know lots of people on here give hardly any pellets and mostly hay but mine always have hay available and I don't underfeed them, however, they're a good size and healthy. I guess you know your buns more than anyone, are they underweight?

Good luck with the bonding by the way :D

i know it sounds silly but i just dont know - i give them about a teaspoon and a half of pellets each twice a day in atreat ball - so they have to work for it - and twice a day some fresh veg - i dont know if i give to much or to little of these.

When i give them there food they go straight to it and its gone instantly - Dobbin is always looking for food on us!!!!

Some photos i have seen of food bowls in background give far more pellets and veg then i do thats why i am a bit worried.

I am sorry to be a pain. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Sue
xx

What food do you give? Are there any recommended amounts on the bag? I know some people do give this amount but I give more than that. Mine don't eat it all at once though, when I go in in the evening there's usually about half the amount still left which goes during the night as the bowls empty in the morning.

Well as people know i got Dobbin from P@H - was before i came on here - and we got the bag of food which he was eating there - pellets. But i put them into a water proof box and threw the bag away - stupid me i know. Then Twinkle was on pellets but the woman did not know which kind - she gave us what she had left - which was a handful!! So we introduced her onto the same.

They both eat the food instantly!!

Sue

xx

I'm going to P@H this weekend for some shavings, can you remember which food it was and I'll take a look at the back of the bag for the recommended amounts.

awww thank you very much - that is very kind of you - i think they only do one type of pellets - if not i think the packet had "Dwarf lop" on it somewhere!!!

What about fresh veg?

Thank you

Sue
xx

I prob give Skip about a thin layer of pellets on the bottom of his bowl 2x a day and loads of hay everyday.

The vet was impressed last time as his weight was exacatly the same as a few yrs ago so i know i'm not feeding him too much :lol: although Skip wouldn't say that if he could talk, if he had his way he would eata whole bag of pellets everyday.

I give him Excel ones in the dark green packet.
He rarely gets veg as it gives him the runs big time!! he seems to do ok without it and gets a few treats now and then

This is my buns routine. I go down the shed in the morning and take with me 3 or 4 spring green leaves, half a carrot sliced in half lengthwise so they have a piece each, some pieces of celery, a couple of brussels and maybe herbs if I have them in. Sometimes they might get baby spinach or rocket or curly kale, depending on what I have in. They get those between them. I fill up the bowl with food and ensure they have plenty of hay and water. Then in the evening I pop down and check on them and top up hay and water. If the bowl of food is completely empty I give them a bit more but there's usually enough left to see them through until morning.

I know many others on here only give very small amounts of pellets but this is what my buns were used to before I got them and see no reason to change as they don't scoff it all immediately.

I would like to change over to pellets and am currently mixing some A&P pellets in to see if they'd eat them as the mix is not that high fibre.

I feed my 3 twice a day.. They have a very small amount of pellets in the morning & fresh veg around 8-30 -9.00.. I then do the same again 5pm...
They are always ready for the breakfast & tea..

What you're feeding sounds fine :D Remember that pellets are a supplement food - hay is the most important bit. And it is normal for buns to dive into their pellets like they are being starved :D
Are they maintaining their weights? Do you feel happy with their size? If so then don't worry!

I feed mine once a day in the morning they get there a+p pellets and veg plus all the hay they want there bowls are empty every morning

here's a couple of pics
I use one of the washing powder scoops they have a full scoop each
IMG_4476.jpg

here are the bowls of food so you can see how much a scoop is
IMG_4479.jpg

IMG_4478.jpg

i think if yours are maintaining their weight, no excess caecotrophs etc then you are probably feeding the right amount. Some people feed more in the winter though, especially for outside bunns.

In the mornings Audrey gets fresh water, hay, and enough pellets to generously cover the bottom of the bowl (I would like her to put a bit of weight on).

When I get home from work she gets some more hay and some vegetables like spring greens, carrot, celery, brussels, bell pepper....and she usually pesters me for more when Im cooking dinner and everytime I open the fridge :roll: :lol:

And then at about 11pm she has the same amount of pellets again, rest of the veg and hay.

linnyloo said:
I prob give Skip about a thin layer of pellets on the bottom of his bowl 2x a day and loads of hay everyday.

The vet was impressed last time as his weight was exacatly the same as a few yrs ago so i know i'm not feeding him too much :lol: although Skip wouldn't say that if he could talk, if he had his way he would eata whole bag of pellets everyday.

I give him Excel ones in the dark green packet.
He rarely gets veg as it gives him the runs big time!! he seems to do ok without it and gets a few treats now and then

i feed mine excel and they love it, but mine have no food bowl, they have two treat balls which get 4 table spoons of pellets each, endless hay and two handulfs of veg each

mandy said:
i think if yours are maintaining their weight, no excess caecotrophs etc then you are probably feeding the right amount. Some people feed more in the winter though, especially for outside bunns.

Ditto to above :)

I have a dwarf lop and an english cross who both weigh about 2/2.5 kg
They have a small handful of burgess excel when I lock them in their house at night, they are outdoor freerange buns so in summer they only get one handful between them at bedtime as a treat. They have fresh veg in the mornings, usually a large carrot, 4 leaves of greens or 3 handfuls of kale, a handful of herbs - (in winter only as they are growing in garden during rest of year for them to eat ad lib) and hay is only given in winter but ONLY because they have around 14 hours of access to grass rest of the year. If they were indoor buns I would give hay twice a day (plenty of it) as I do with my guinea pigs and boarders :D
I guess the pellets you got were probably Burgess excel or the P@H own brand :)
Veg wise mine have virtually everything! All root veggies, greens, peppers, tomatoes, herbs etc etc. Just introduce new veggies slowly in small quantities and they will be fine!

I have 2 boarders at the mo - frenchies - they have one standard earthenware sized bowl of dry food between them, they must weigh around 4.5 - 5kg each. The girl isn't overweight but the boy is a little, so I have encouraged more hay and veg munching whilst here and put their dry food in balls so they have to exercise to eat it!

I also think what you are feeding sounds fine, in terms of amount of pellets. If you find not enough hay is being eaten (or there are excess caecotrophs), you may need to cut down the veggies to once a day.

It is P @H own brand pellets - sounds like a might be under feeding them a bit!! They have unlimited hay all day - the pellets as i have said about 5 cm of celery each about 3 cm of cucumber each - 2 spris of parsley each and usual share a carrot top each - the fresh stuff is this amount twice a day!

What do you think?

Sue
xx

Personally I would view whether I'm under-feeding in terms of weight loss (which doesn't seem to be an issue here), and also how much hay is eaten. You say there is unlimited hay, but how much actually goes? If the weight is fine and a big bundle of hay is being eaten every day, you are probably spot on. :)

I was scared to give veg at first because of gut stasis but I've gradually increase the variety and amount - maybe you could do the same?

Back