• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Mr. Buns

brigitte

Warren Scout
Hello,

I am new to this forum and need some advice on a very sick bun.

Mr. Buns is about 5 years old and is a neutered mini-lop. In mid-November, I noticed that he was experience a loss of balance and wry neck. I immediately took him to my vet and he prescribed an antibiotic - not amoxicillin - which did not help. I went back to the vet and he was treated with baytril and vitamins for about 3 weeks with limited success. I believe he had contracted E. cuniculi which affected his sight and hearing. He did get better and was eating and drinking normally for about 2-3 weeks.

He then had a relapse. I took him back to the vet in mid December and started him back on the baytril and vitamin injections. Since that time, he has lost quite a bit of weight - he started out at about 8 pounds and is now down to 4.5 pounds. I am offering a variety of vegies and fruits - kale, parsley, cilantro, carrots, bananas, apples, oranges - along with pellets, hay, water, pedialyte. I attempted syringe feeding which totally stresses him out and I have started offering him "banana balls" which he only nibbles at. He is getting injections every other day and that has been happening for about a month now.

It breaks my heart that I can't do anything to help him. I don't want him to suffer.

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Hi,

Welcome to the forum :)

Usually treatment for headtilt would be steriod & antibiotics (incase it's an inner ear infection) and a months course of pancur (incase it's EC) I think pancur might be a brand name so it's possibly different in the US it's usually used as a wormer though. As your bun isn't eating well he could also get an appitite stimulent.

You might find this article helpful - http://www.ebonyeyes.co.uk/aspbite/categories/index.asp?intCatID=264

Don't be afraid to print it off and discuss it with your vet. Not all vets get much training on rabbits so you vet may find it helpful to consult an expert.

It would also be a good idea to get your vet to check your rabbits back teeth. It's possible the eating could be unrelated or that as he hasn't been eating much his teeth have over grown and that's effecting his eating further.

You might like to try porridge, that's good for putting on weight and is quite tasty. You can mix in mushed up pellets. Vegetable baby food is another popular option. A probiotic may also help his gut with the meds he's taking.

If the baytril isn't working then you could ask your vet about trying penicillin (this must be given by injection not orally). You're correct amoxicillin (oral) isn't safe for rabbits but penicillin is used to treat more stubborn abcesses/infections when baytril doesn't work.

I hope that helps :)
Tamsin

Tamsin,

Thank you very much for your reply. I will discuss all of these options with my vet and keep my fingers crossed.

I sure do appreciate your input and will keep you posted on his progress.

Thanks again,

Sorry to hear your bun is struggling at the moment. I can't offer any advice but I hope he starts to pick up and improve soon.

Welcome to RU by the way :D

Kathryn x

Mr. Buns - Update

Thank you everyone for the advice and welcomes.

I took Mr. Buns to a wonderful vet who specializes in exotics. He has been hospitalized since Tuesday morning but is putting up a good fight. He is in GI Stasis and is being treated for that along with being on IV's and being force fed. The blood tests for Pasteurella and E.C. are not in yet, but the vet is pretty sure he has Pasteurella. She took him home with her over the weekend and is attempting to nurse him back to health. I will have additional information on Monday.

Thanks again, and keep your fingers and toes crossed for him. Prayers would be welcome, too.

Brigitte

Sending vibes for a recovery for your bunny, it sounds like he's getting the best possible care :)

Welcome to the forum.

Sorry to hear Mr Buns is poorly. It sounds like you've found a fantastic vet.
We're sending lots of positive vibes. Hope he feels better soon.

Mr. Buns - Update

Thank you everyone for your support.

As long as he is not giving up, neither will I.

Brigitte

Mr. Buns - Sad News

Hello everyone,

First, I want to thank everyone for their support.

Mr. Buns passed away tonight. He was scheduled for surgery in the morning so I went to visit him at the vet hospital. He had taken a turn for the worse and the vet didn't think he'd make it through the night. I could tell he was suffering so I made the decision to end his suffering. He didn't recognize my voice and had given up his battle. I hope I made the right decision.

I just feel like I lost my best friend but I know he's not suffering any longer.

Thanks for listening and any advice would be greatly welcome.

Brigitte

Back