• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Food/wee and other queries!

cara

Alpha Buck
I am trying to advise someone who is new to rabbits. Can you help me please!

Firstly, Charlie (about 4+ months old) has recently passed orange wee. She has not altered his diet. In my experience this can be normal. Also from reading these forums I gather this can be normal. Not sure why if there is no diet change though? In all other respects he is fine.

My friend is also concerned about feeding Charlie adult excel at 4+ months old (hence the 'when is a rabbit adult' query earlier on). The junior version was out of stock when she started feeding Charlie on excel - a few weeks ago. Is this okay at his age?

Secondly, Smudge and Fudge (about 1 year old) are fed 2 bowls full of excel pellets per day. I think this is quite a lot (certainly compared to the amount I feed). My friend is quite willing to cut down - and continue to provide good quality hay. Is this advisable?

Lastly, Charlie sprays all over his hutch! How likely is this to stop once he has been spayed?

Thanks in advance
Cara

cara said:
I am trying to advise someone who is new to rabbits. Can you help me please!

Firstly, Charlie (about 4+ months old) has recently passed orange wee. She has not altered his diet. In my experience this can be normal. Also from reading these forums I gather this can be normal. Not sure why if there is no diet change though? In all other respects he is fine.

HORMONAL CHANGES AT PUBERTY EFFECT THE COLOUR OF WEE

My friend is also concerned about feeding Charlie adult excel at 4+ months old (hence the 'when is a rabbit adult' query earlier on). The junior version was out of stock when she started feeding Charlie on excel - a few weeks ago. Is this okay at his age?

YES, BUT PREFERABLY THE CHANGE SHOULD BE GRADUAL OVER A 2 WEEK PERIOD

Secondly, Smudge and Fudge (about 1 year old) are fed 2 bowls full of excel pellets per day. I think this is quite a lot (certainly compared to the amount I feed). My friend is quite willing to cut down - and continue to provide good quality hay. Is this advisable?

HOW BIG ARE THE RABBITS? AS AN EXAMPLE I FEED AN ADULT 2KG RABBIT ABOUT HALF A TEACUP OF PELLETS A DAY, UNLIMITED HAY AND A VARIETY OF FRESH VEG

Lastly, Charlie sprays all over his hutch! How likely is this to stop once he has been spayed?

AS CHARLIE IS A BUCK HE WILL BE CASTRATED. DOES ARE SPAYED :wink: CASTRATION WILL STOP THE SPRAYING BUT IT MAY TAKE A FEW WEEKS AFTER THE OP' FOR HIS HORMONE LEVELS TO DROP

Thanks in advance
Cara

Janex

Not sure about feeding babies but two bowlfulls a day for two adults is way too much!
Mine get roughly a handful each per day but obviously this is adjusted slightly to individuals size/build etc

Monty was a big sprayer and was banned from the house having covered the sofa and myself (he is tiny) but as soon as he was neutered it stopped. I personally don't know anyone else whose bun still sprays after op. But there may be someone here with a different experience.

I agree with you about the food sounding a lot for 1 year olds. My giants rabbits don't even have that many pellets and I have been thinking that may need cutting down because they are looking a little chubby! I have given all my buns excell even when younger and all have been fine.

However, I am sure there are people far more of an expert than me who can give you detailed advise.

I personally don't know anyone else whose bun still sprays after op.
Billy does! He was neutured last September time. He sprays infrequently but he still does it. He got me well and truly about 2 weeks ago. He was in his hutch and I was knelt on the floor, Moonshine and Flopsy were running about tormenting him, they chin rub his hutch and then run off. Anyway, in a split second he flicked his rear around and sprayed. I figured it was intended for Moonshine, but she had already darted and I got covered, my top, trousers, face, hair. Not a nice experience!!!! :lol: :lol:

Nicola

Back