• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How on earth do I get bun to take her baytril?

Middy

Warren Scout
Midnight is having none of it and just bit me! I was successful the first time but since then, she's struggled and scratched, no matter how tightly I hold her. She's very naughty. And strong.

I'm using a syringe, BTW.

Any tips?

Middy (covered in baytril)

Wrap her in a towel is the only thing I can think of. I've managed to suss a pin them down hold which keeps the back legs down but I'm not even going to attempt to explain it!

Dip end of syringe filled with Baytril into Honey/Jam/Treacle. Only to get a TINY amount to make syringe taste sweet
Kneel on the floor. Put Middy, firmly wrapped in a towel with just her nose exposed, between your legs. Administer syringe horizontally via the side of her mouth ie so meds go across her mouth/tongue not straight down her throat.
Vary routine PRIOR to giving meds so she does not associate a certain sequence of events with medication time.

Janex

I was absolutely useless at using a syringe, and as the vet had told me to avoid stressing Floss(myxi) at all costs, I resorted to wrapping all her meds in raspberry leaves! It took longer as I had to do it slowly as the liquidtended to run out of the leaf if I put too much on, but She was quite happy to eat the leaves! I also mixed some in with a bit of grated apple.

Have just read your post Jane and will give that a try the next time. Might even practise a bit while she's well.... :)

We dilute meds with blackcurrant squash and slot the syringe in the gap between the incisors and the molars (it has a name but I cant remember it).

i used a little bit of ribena on the end of the syringe it seemed to work but i still had to hold dillion quite firm though

I've been putting Maddies onto a treat and she is wary at first, but her greed soon gets the better of her and she'll eat it all.

You could try putting it over a bowl of greens or normal food (not pellets as they might go too mushy) then the taste sholdn't put her off.

Good luck!

I do mine the jane method but I've not needed the towel with any of mine. When my chinchilla needed baytril I squirted it into a grape and gave it as a treat, that worked well!

Get some Ryvita (dark rye seems to go down well) and break a little piece off. Drop the Baytril into the holes on the underside, give to bun to eat. Simple! :)

If your rabbit already eats pellets, then the easiest way I've found is to mush up some pellets in hot water from the kettle, let it cool then drip the baytril over it - If you wait till they are really hungry they gobble it up no problem, otherwise the bitter taste puts them off.

The other thing I've had success with is dripping it on some cabbage leaf, if your bunny already eats cabbage that it - and fold over the leaf into a baytril sandwich - But some gets rubbed off onto the floor when they eat it, so I prefer using pellets.

I drizzled the baytril on some little chunks of apple which my bun absolutely loved, it worked a treat as she was dead against the syringe!! She gobbled it all up no problem and fortunately, her tooth infection cleared!!

I found it easist to set harly on the table, then hold him sort of under my arm, hand like over his head so my wrist was near his ears, and i had a fingr down each cheek 2 hold him still, thn pop in at side of mouth with othr hand, but Wrapping him in a towel and putting him between ur knees sounds better! U can also put it in2 a bit of food if he will eat it. WHen Honey was on it, I was using a small piece of apple (small enough so you know he will eat it all), and using a sharp knife to jab a lot of little holes in it for the meds to soak in easier, thn popping it on there. Harly didnt like the taste tho so I had to syringe him :)

Baytril on sweet apple = success!

She has been carrying the piece of apple around and eating it in stages. :wink:

Back