• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I s this a nest

MollyMay

Warren Scout
Hi

Can anyone tell me is this a nest my rabbit has made. We mated her on Jan 1st, so if she is pregnant. The babies will be born in 2 weeks. When i opened the hutch door last night I couldnt believe my eyes. There were mounds of straw and newspaper, piled high. She had been really busy.

IMG_0374.jpg

possible though it doesn't look to be lined with fur, It won't be the actual nest. Rabbits only build a nest just before they give birth which if she's pregnant she won't do for another couple of weeks.

Tam

She might just be hormonal. think they build the nest a couple of days before they give birth.

Are you keeping the babies?

Yes she has a hay rack, so do my other 2 rabbits. We give them fresh hay everyday, which she enjoys everyday.
I feed them timothy hay, with herbs it also has dandilions and marigolds, in which she loves, and my other rabbits love it too.
If she is pregnant, we will definatley keep one of the babies, and I know a few people who are interested, in giving the babies new happy homes, which is really good.

That just looks like the enclosed part of all my buns hutches once they have been throwing bits of newspaper about :D

As it gets closr to when she's due you might want to give her hay for nesting too. When the babies first start nibbling they might not reach the hay rack.

I'd suggest you get 2-3 times the number of people interested as you expect babies as a lot of people change their minds when it actually comes to taking the bunny. They find out accomodation is more expensive then they though or work committments change etc.

Tam

Tamsin said:
As it gets closr to when she's due you might want to give her hay for nesting too. When the babies first start nibbling they might not reach the hay rack.

I'd suggest you get 2-3 times the number of people interested as you expect babies as a lot of people change their minds when it actually comes to taking the bunny. They find out accomodation is more expensive then they though or work committments change etc.

Tam

Very good advice :thumb: It would be a shame to be let down by people you were relying on

Rabbits tend to build the 'final' nest just a few hours befor giving birth and once they begin lining it with fur they will kindle within a couple of hours.

hiya there and welcome to the forum.

It doesn't look like a nest although it's too early anyway. Hopefully you've been lucky and she isn't pregnant :D

If she's not, the people you have lined up to take babies could adopt from Rabbit Rehome, and you could get her spayed to prevent future accidents :D

Alfie_and_angel said:

It doesn't look like a nest although it's too early anyway. Hopefully you've been lucky and she isn't pregnant :D

If she's not, the people you have lined up to take babies could adopt from Rabbit Rehome, and you could get her spayed to prevent future accidents :D

errmm if you read the 1st post it is not an accident :?

honeybunny said:
Alfie_and_angel said:

errmm if you read the 1st post it is not an accident :?

sorry, you're right - I read it too quickly and just assumed that it would be an accidental pregnancy.

silly me :(

If shes not pregnant, i will definatley get her spayed.
If she is pregnant I will definatley get her spayed, so she cant have anymore babies.
I am taking my male rabbit in next month, to get him neutered, aswell.
If she is pregnant, how soon after the pregnancy can she be spayed.
I am very nervous about getting her spayed, because I had another female rabbit, who died a 3 months ago, after being spayed.
She was an absolute angel, we loved her to pieces, and to be taken away from us like that. She was only 9 months old.
I feel in some way it was my fault, because I had her spayed, all the stress and pain and suffering she went through, could of caused her to die :(

Sorry to hear about your other bun.

If your worried maybe someone on here could reccomend a good vet close to you. Did you have a post mortem to find out the exact cause of death?

Getting your bun spayed also has health benefits, it will prevent uterine cancer.

Sorry to hear about your bunny, that's really sad but it is really very rare that bunnies will die after being spayed and you really should NOT blame yourself.

IMO, spaying your bunny is one of the most special things you can do for her.
Although in very rare cases, there might be complications, I'm sure that this is far outweighed by the number of unspayed does who:

die from complications from an unused reproductive system
die from complications during pregnancy/kindling
or are just plain frustrated through the weird hormones that spaying removes.

That's why I think that even though you must be worried about it, it's brill that you have decided to get both your buns done. :thumb:

My other female rabbit is spayed, it was her sister that died, they lived together from birth. But yes I will get both my rabbits spayed and neutered.
I want the best for my babies, I want to give them the best and happiest life possible. They are my babies. :)

This was Alice, Molly's sister who passed away.

IMG_0112.jpg

Molly is the brown one who I still have, Alice is the White & brown one, who passed away. She was an absolute diamond.

IMG_0086.jpg

:love: what gorgeous rabbits, so sorry you lost Alice. It can happen but quite rarely thank goodness. Is your vet particularly rabbit friendly? It might be worth checking their usual survival rates and what anaesthetics etc they use.

My vet told me that the majority of unspayed does get uterine cancer so need a hysterectomy anyway if it's not too late and she totally recommended spaying on health grounds. She also said that the drugs used nowadays are much much safer (and more expensive :roll: ) which has decreased deaths under the operation so I think you were very unlucky.

Is Molly the bun who's pregnant?

Back