• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How to Stop Pulling at Stitches?

Mad Bunster

Mama Doe
Hello again,

Well, Maddie was speyed on Tuesday and shes recovering just fine - well more than fine, she is hyperactive!! Anyway, we went for the post op check last night and the little madam has pulled out one stitch. The wound is shut still it just looks like a scratch where the top layer of skin isn't 'tight' if you know what I mean.

Are there any hints and tips to stop her pulling at it any more. I'm trying to keep her entertained, but seriously she is getting into everywhere and everything I don't want her over exerting herself!!

Thanks!

Your vet can give you an “Elizabethan” collar. Basically a plastic collar that fits round their neck. It stops them reaching round to there wound,

Louise

The problem with collars is that they prevent a rabbit eating their cecotrophs (sp) so you need to keep a carful eye on them as they tend to get poo stuck all over the collar in the night. I have also found a rabbit who got her foot stuck in it (again at night) which was very stressful for her so we tend to only use them as a last resort.

You can pick their soft poo’s up and put them in the feed bowl. The collars can also be cut down enough so the rabbit can eat/drink freely but without being able to reach the wound.

Louise

Yeah we had to resort to poop a scooping for her but I have to admit I removed the collar after the foot incident, it scared the life out of me. Esp. since she was wearing it for a broken leg!

Yep the vet did say we could use a collar, but i didn't think it was a good idea as i thought it might just stress her out. Shes resisting anymore chewing so far (I think) so i'll just keep an eye on what shes doing.

She should be well on the way to healing together, so I don't think its going to be a gaping hole or anything that serious if she does get another out?

Vet did say she could use glue or staples if she kept chewing, but I'd rather not have to let it get that far!

most vets actually glue wounds from the off with bunnies now to avoid sutures and others suture internally. My vet sems to concentrate on making the smallest incisions possible, I can barely see them when they castrate anymore!

Back