• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

rabbit with swollen nipple

the bunny girl

Warren Scout
Hi i have a netherland dwarf doe with a very large swollen nipple that looks like its a clear bubble can anyone give me any info on what can be wrong -- she has been at vet had baytril and metacam that only made it a bit smaller for a wee while but now its back she is going to vet on monday and i have booked her in for hysterectomy because i think it could be hormonal thanks celia

As she is an entire Doe I would ask the Vet to send a Biopsy of the lump off to the Vetlab. It might be a good idea to ask the Vet to excise the entire lump during the spay as if it is malignant it will need removing and doing it now will avoid a second GA.
I had a French Lop who had a total mastectomy due to 'breast cancer' She made a full recovery :D

Janex

thanks for info -- vet defos thinks its hormonal as she seems to have a cycle of it going away and coming back , she is going in for hysterectomy on monday and will see what happens with the teat then . Toots is 3 this year and does get very hormonal --- I have had a rabbit of 5 years of age go through a breast removal and hysterectomy so i am kind of expecting this to be much the same op , its just that my last rabbit had a round lump not a clear jelly looking large nipple

Pippa had a lump like this when she was about 4 years old - vet tried to treat with Metacam + Baytril but with no luck so she had it removed. It never came back but I always wonder if she would have lived a bit longer if she had been spayed at the same time. So def get it removed and have her spayed :) Vet never did know what it was as I didn't have it sent off.

Nicola

nicolar said:
Pippa had a lump like this when she was about 4 years old - vet tried to treat with Metacam + Baytril but with no luck so she had it removed. It never came back but I always wonder if she would have lived a bit longer if she had been spayed at the same time. So def get it removed and have her spayed :) Vet never did know what it was as I didn't have it sent off.

Nicola
Hi can i ask why you think she would have lived a bit longer if you had her spayed when you got her breast lump removed ? thanks Celia x

Thinking back it could well have been due to hormones, perhaps even cancer and I do wonder whether she did get uterine cancer in the end - I didn't get a PM done so won't ever know but do wonder if this was one of the first signs, as it were. Benefit of hindsight hey!

How is your bunny now?

Nicola

gia had this, it would swell up with a milky fluid. it was taken out whilst she was spayed as it was thought to be an early warning sign of future problems. best to get it checked out :)

Hi toots has been in to have her op , i got a fone call to say while she was knocked out that there was no sign of the lump so it must be due to hormones . She is doing great now but had to force her to eat after the op , she was feeling sorry for herself and missing her mate . It has been a few days now and i can see she is feeling a lot better :) and babes her mate had a wee visit and toots perked up right away she misses him so much .

nicolar said:
Thinking back it could well have been due to hormones, perhaps even cancer and I do wonder whether she did get uterine cancer in the end - I didn't get a PM done so won't ever know but do wonder if this was one of the first signs, as it were. Benefit of hindsight hey!

How is your bunny now?

Nicola
Hi Nicola dont feel so bad about it hun , my vet told me that when they take out a breast lump they need to get all the cells or it spreads . I think breast lumps and womb probs go together , in an ideal world it is better to spay them when they are young to avoid all this but i have taken in so many unwanted rabbits that i could not afford to do them all . I have been lucky that my 5 yr old rabbit went in for a breast lump removal and spey and thankfully she is still with me a year later , it took her a while to get over the op ( about 6 mth ) but she is great now

Back