• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Gas

as in **** gas or natural stove type gas lol..

**** gas I think is caused by the bacteria in an animal's gut (including us) breaking down food substances etc and converting it to energy for the body to use and waste products such as gasses (including methane the smelly one).

please correct me if i'm wrong but that's my basic understanding of biology.

I'd just like to point out that the asterisk-ed words in there weren't rude!!!! they may have begun with f but they were not that!!!!! I'm a nice girl honest

So what would happen if the rabbit had some pellets in the morning and never touched hay untill the owner returned at night?

Would the guts start to shut down or would gas start to appear? :D

nicole said:
So what would happen if the rabbit had some pellets in the morning and never touched hay untill the owner returned at night?

Would the guts start to shut down or would gas start to appear? :D

Gas is a natural bi-product of the digestive process. It only becomes a problem if more is produced than can be 'coped with'
Some food causes more gas production than others as it is broken down in the GI tract. This can cause discomfort which in turn causes the GI function to slow down causing the gas to build up, causing yet more discomfort......etc...etc.
The worst offenders for causing excess gas production are the cabbage type Veg (Cabbage, Brocolli and the like) I also have one Rabbit who gets a gassy tum from Carrots. I am assuming that is because his GI tract does not cope well with sugar and the sugar in carrots causes excess gas to be produced whilst being digested.
Also, a Rabbit with reduced GI motility for any reason is likely to get a build up of gas. In severe cases this can lead to 'bloat'

Phew, nothing like starting the day discussing Bunny trumps!! :lol:

Janex

I've noticed that Benny's tummy is very gurgly, which I presume must be gas moving around. It's very loud but I can only hear it when he's eating. Benny has no problems eating anything and eats a good amount of hay now, his poos are lovely and big and he doesn't seem to have any discomfort from it. Very strange... :?

Back