• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding update - partial success! U/D MAYBE NOT!

Amethyst

Warren Veteran
Hi all,

Just thought I'd post an update regarding bonding all 6 of my rabbits (previously in 3 bonded pairs, kept seperately). Miles and Rocket never made friends, and when we put them back in the living room yesterday, Miles was extremely aggressive towards Benny and Domino - so we decided to get Miles, Miffy, China and Rocket free-range, and keep Benny and Domino in their original hutch setup. I'm disappointed for them, but they've lost nothing and they did run straight for their hutch when I put them on the other side of the living room, so they obviously want to be there. Plus of course we now have 4 free-range bunnies instead of 2, and that frees up a much larger space for the piggies! They will go in China and Rocket's old hutch and run, with their hutch in there too - stacks of piggy space! :)

AMETHYST

Okay, I may have spoken too soon. China and Rocket are spending all their time hiding in Miffy's favourite hidey-hole - to the annoyance of Miles and Miffy who try to drive them out with nips etc. China and Rocket refuse to emerge, to the point they weren't eating or drinking anything, so I left a bowl of food, hay and water next to the hidey-hole.

We're going to put down lots more hiding places and then remove the hidey-hole so China and Rocket "integrate" more. Will that work? I'm so worried that all the bonding efforts will have been for nothing. :(

AMETHYST

Don't give up yet!
What you've said sounds like a good way forward. Give them some time. Some rabbits take several weeks to settle down fully.

Spacegirl said:
Don't give up yet!
What you've said sounds like a good way forward. Give them some time. Some rabbits take several weeks to settle down fully.

Definately!! Your plan sounds like a good one - if the hidey hole is casuing problems take it out of the equation and provide other distractions. Like Spacegirl says it takes time so just keep an eye on them and let them muddle through the first couple of weeks. Fingers crossed for you and the gang.x

Back