• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Male, who was being 'neutered', is now being spayed!! Help!

Middy

Warren Scout
...which explains why they were fighting so badly! We thought Albert(a) was a boy but the vet just called and says she is a lady bun. Ohhhhh... hell. So, I decided to go though with the op as she was already under the GA and I didn't want to put her through that for nothing, bearing in mind it's probably good for Albie's health to have the op in the long-run.

But now, I'm really scared that Midnight won't accept Alberta at all as they are both girls.

What on earth shall we do? Janice has kindly offered to help us bond the buns but do you think Middy will accept Alberta now?

:( Am really annoyed with the seller (yes, it was P@H). Am so annoyed we went there.

good old P@H strike again with their helpfulness :roll:

Well what you can do is have Midnight done as well (as you already know its good for her health) and try bonding, it is possible to have females as bonded pairs takes a while but it can happen i have 2 bonded females :wink: proof it works.

Haffyj, thank you for your reply.

Midnight has been done already, so once Alberta's all healed, we'll call on dear Janice to help us.

It all makes sense now - the way they fought was incredible! And Alb's started spraying, so that must have made Midnight feel insane with rage!

Will keep you all posted.

M

PS: Husband is on the phone about to give P@H a right earful.

oohh thats great then now they have both been spayed :D once Alberta has recovered you can start the bonding process :D

See its a real shame some P@H don't have enough training to even sex a rabbit properly :roll: I hope your hubby does give them an ear bashing

All the best in your bonding :D

I'd be tempted to ask P@H to pay the cost difference between neutering and spaying. NOthing to lose!

The manager told my husband that we should have noticed within a week (yeah, that's really helpful and encouraging as we'd really know more than P@H staff wouldn't we? Two of the staff 'sexed' Alberta!! Also, how lucky that Albie didn't fall pregnant!!!!!!!!!!!!). Also, we bought Alberta just before Christmas so it was tricky. We *stressed* that we needed a male bun. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

P@H said they would pay the difference as the spay costs more than the neutering and also said they'd take her back if we wanted a refund. It will be a cold day in hell before we give our bunny back to those cretins.

Thanks for the support. Am hoping Alberta's OK after her operation, she's so little...

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :censored:

Take the money and as if you would really give the bunny back :eek:

Will defo take the money.

And as for giving them the bunny back - no way on earth! What do they take us for? I do wonder at their priorities...

And agree, they are: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

I bet they'd be happy to take the bun back..after all they could use the Neutered status as a great selling point!! :shock:

I know, it's awful, but I agree.

How do they get away with it? I mean, in this particular branch, there was a vet centre. Surely their vets could/ should sex the buns properly?!

Middy said:
I know, it's awful, but I agree.

How do they get away with it? I mean, in this particular branch, there was a vet centre. Surely their vets could/ should sex the buns properly?!

Now you would think that but tehn again that would be common sense :roll: :roll:

Girl-girl pairs are definitely possible. I have one and I know many other people who do. Keep with your bonding plans, just make sure you wait a month+ to give her a little time for her hormones to calm down. Hormonal girls are much more likely to be territorial and fight.

My first bun Mocha originally went in for a neuter but ended up getting a spay. I thought it was funny, because my ex-breeder mother-in-law swore up and down that Mocha was a boy and she definitely saw a penis. :shock:

Please look at "lets stop pets at home selling animals" under the rabbit welfare issues section, another mis sexed rabbit, not at all uncommon when it comes to pets at home sadly.

Unfortuntely you are not the first and I am pretty sure that you won't be the last :cry:

Don't worry we can still have a go at pairing these up, hopefully we will achieve this, it will probably take longer than with a male / female pair which is definately the easiest way to go. De-personalising both your buns areas will be vital before they are put back on home territor, so lots of scrubbing and cleaning for you :wink:

I phoned the lady i got Honey & Harly from, to tell her that she'd sexed them as girls when they were really boys, so she could be a bit more careful in future. My boyf also wanted me 2 ask for half the money for the neutering (bein naive new owners we didnt realise we would have 2 get 2 girls spayed anyway :oops: ), but the response I got from her was the same - bring them back and you can swap them for others!! (she'd a younger litter not ready yet when i got H & H), I'd had them for 6 weeks- they wer my babies by then. It's not like it's a top you've decided you don't like anymore!!!

jrn1310 said:
Unfortuntely you are not the first and I am pretty sure that you won't be the last :cry:

Don't worry we can still have a go at pairing these up, hopefully we will achieve this, it will probably take longer than with a male / female pair which is definately the easiest way to go. De-personalising both your buns areas will be vital before they are put back on home territor, so lots of scrubbing and cleaning for you :wink:

I know, I feel terrible about it, esp having read more about P@H/ other shops in the welfare section.

No probs re the scrubbing - it has to be done! Shall we leave this until we start the bonding process? (Am planning on keeping them separate for at least two weeks so Alberta can heal).

Thanks!

Middy said:
jrn1310 said:

I know, I feel terrible about it, esp having read more about P@H/ other shops in the welfare section.

No probs re the scrubbing - it has to be done! Shall we leave this until we start the bonding process? (Am planning on keeping them separate for at least two weeks so Alberta can heal).

Thanks!

You won't need to start scrubbing until we start pairing these girls up. I do hope we can get these together.

Back