• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Free Range?

Tiger Lilly

Warren Scout
Are anybodies house buns totally free range as in when you are out at work or wherever, they have complete control of the house and where they go (and the TV, your sofa and the remote control :lol: )??

Just wondering cos last night we went out and accidentially didn't lock one of the gates on the dog crate. :shock: :shock: Luckily everything is bunny proofed but when i came home to find the gate open :shock: i found the bunsters happily binking about and loving being allowed to just get on with it! They love playing on the stairs!

This lead to the conversation between me and the other half about letting them be free range all the time..

Hi, I think some peoples well behaved buns are and I also think this would be the ideal. I know my aim is to eventually get to this stage but I'm afraid mine are a bit too mischevious at the moment. I know some people recomend still having a cage of somesort where the bun can retreat but not to shut them into.

I'd say if the house is bunny proofed and they can be trusted, go for it! :D

My buns have there own rooms, I block of the TV when I'm in & open all the doors (buns are left unsupervised if TV completely blocked off). That's as close as I've got yet!!!

mine are, I have a baby gate at the top of the stairs but they still manage to get through it :lol: :lol:

I'd be scared incase they took a liking to the sofa (it's brand new!!) and chewed it to pieces :shock: or something...

The o/h is dead keen to do it (they were so happy the rest of the night after having rule of the roost) but i just don't know...

we would keep the crated we have and just leave the doors open for them to go and get a drink, use toilet etc..

what about just extending the crate.. i.e buying something to make a little pen type thing to add to the crate so they had more space to run around during the day when we are at work... that might be a better option.. (would be like us humans having an extension built on our houses :lol: )

Bertie usually can have free range of the house. I am quite happy leaving all the doors open for him because I can trust him :lol: :lol: sounds like I'm talking about a teenage child that I can trust ..
He usually goes back into the kitchen on his own if theres nobody home ..
Now Molly I couldn't trust she would go wild if I allowed her free range of the house she's only around 7 months old though so still very playful & up for fun, she wouldn't care what damaged she caused as long as she had a good time :lol:
karenx

Audrey could never be free range :shock: I dread to think what she'd get up to :lol: Id also worry about not being there to supervise the cats and her.

When Im out, she has a crate with a pen attached, giving an area of abotu 6 x 4ft. I never shut her in the crate.

I cant have mine free range in the house because have a cat so I would have to put them in a cage when I wasnt there.

But I have had Trip free range in my room. It is bunnyproofed and I just shut the door when I went to work so the cat couldnt get in. He was very good and didnt destroy anything. I dont think I could trust the girls though :lol:

Oakley is completly free range 24 hours a day 7 days a week, she also thinks she's rules the house too!! :lol:

Asta is totally free range, and I don't have her crate out either as it is very large. She has a box to hide in if she wants to.

I started with her locked in the crate when we were out and in a pen when we were in, then progressed to in the crate & pen when we were out and free range when we were in, then eventually (when I was home all day for a few days) took the crate away. She has two pieces of vet bed which are 'her territory' and is completely litter trained. Hasn't chewed anything inappropriate yet :D

It does make the hay harder to contain though - laminate floors are a god send :D

My bunnies are self contained....literally!! They live in the dining room part of the kitchen which is carpered. To leave the room they must cross the laminated kitchen floor which they never do, one paw is as far as they get onto it. They are quite good - chair legs have been chewed and wallpaper striped but then the room needs decorating and I love them to much to get cross. It might be a different story were they to chew things in another decorated room though - I can see them getting in trouble for that!!

They did used to drag hay about but I solved that problem by giving them a box tied to their dog crate with a letter sized opening at the bottom for them to pull hay out of and I fill it from the top and they seem happy to use it as I intened them to (which has to be a first!). :lol: :roll:

i wish i was brave enough to have my buns free range indoors :lol: :lol: i would come back to no house

Miles, Miffy, China and Rocket are all free-range, but we've covered ALL wires (i.e. behind desks etc so they're totally inaccessible), and the floor is laminated so they don't chew the non-existent carpet. When we're out we block off the sofa with the use of a puppy pen surrounding it, as Miles likes to jump on it and do a wee! :shock:

Benny and Domino are not free range, as Miles and Benny just DO NOT get on and still fight. :( Benny and Domino live in a HUGE hutch and are let out for a run for a few hours each day.

AMETHYST

Back