• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Holly (the plant)

nicole

Mama Doe
Is it poisonous to rabbits?
Where I'm thinking of building a new run there is a holly bush there that will be an absolute pain in the tonsils to dig out.
So I need to know if I can leave it there.

Hey :)

The berries are but not all bushes produce berries, only females do, so does yours produce berries?

Also Holly is a protected species and shouldn't actually be dug up!!! :shock: :? :lol:

Aww I love holly bushes :)

I havent seen any :?
So could I leave it in the run?

I would not chop it down just re-think where to put the run.

I love holly too :D

If there is another holly bush within 100ft it could produce berries, one tree produces male flowers, the other female, once the male pollinates the berries are then produced (im a tree geek lol)
Can you possibly adapt the run to not include it at all?
My buns don't touch the holly ive had in my garden but I always swept the berries when they dropped just incase. :?

as long as there is no male holly nearb then it cant poliante and wont produce any berries we have female hollies but the buns dont like them as they dont like to get spiked :lol:

I have just checked with my flat mate and he has never seen the bush with berries :D
The run would be 5ft x 12ft, think thats quite a good size.

leanne said:
If there is another holly bush within 100ft it could produce berries, one tree produces male flowers, the other female, once the male pollinates the berries are then produced (im a tree geek lol)

now that kind of relationship sounds good, long distance :lol: :lol: poor female holly bush having to produce without the pleasure of physical contact, bit like being a virgin mary :lol: :lol:

Just found this in the info section of RU

Unsafe twigs:
Acacia
Apricot
Azalea
Beech
Box
Cherry
Clematis
Elder
Holly
Ivy
Laburnum
Mistletoe
Nux vomica
Oak
Oleander
Peach
Periwinkle
Plum
Privet
Rhododendron
Rosewood
Snowberry
Spindleberry
Thorn apple
Waxplant
Wisteria
Yew
All evergreens not mentioned in safe twig list

So holly is not safe......or is it :? :? :?

Your vet might be able to answer that one by digging out their text books.

You could pen the holly in within the pen if that's easier than putting the run elsewhere?

Tam

Just been out again and measured it 5ft wide and the outside of the run will just be touching the holly, so problem solved :wink:

Going to order the wood this week (penny's permitting).

This run is smaller width wise but longer in length of my main run.

I hope this will give them plenty of room to tank about, and help Mhairi's possible hock problem.

I'm excited :D

Oh yay!!! Good luck with the build!

Another thing on Holly, the leaves are spiky to prevent predators such as deer and rabbits, if you look on a holly bush you will see that the higher it gets the less spiky the leaves....this is because it has no need to protect that high....

Back