• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Molly hasn't eaten in 24 hours more advice needed pls..

karen354

Warren Veteran
Hi, Molly was spayed yesterday. She's having a little walk around but still very quiet.. She's drinking water but not eating :( she hasn't eaten anything since I brought her home this time yesterday. I am starting to get very worried about her, is this the normal with a spayed bun ?
karen

Is she pooing? If she is then that's a good sign - she is probably having a little nibble while you aren't looking!
If there is no poo either then it may be time to go back to the vet. Do you know if she was given any gut stimulant when she had the spay?

Have you tried her with her favorite foods and vegs? If o and she hasn't eaten those try giving her veggie baby food. Females can go a little off there food after a spay and it's important to get them eating again ASAP. Try sirynging her baby food

She's had a few little poos.. I had tried her favourite foods but she's just not interested.. She's resting now but she has been having a little hop round.

Karen ring your vet now before they shut for the night and see what they say, its better to check now while they are still open than discover she needs help late at night and have to ask for an emergency call out.

She should be eating by now, its unnatural for a bun to be off food for this long, what have you offered her?

Karen - I'd call your vet now if I were you... before they shut for today, then you can put your mind at rest for the evening.

She'll probably need some gut stimulant and pain relief and cos its been a while since she ate, i'd follow the other advice of syringe feeding her. You could mush up some of her usual pellets and try giving her that - but I'd still try to get to a vet.

Good luck.

Well that doesn't sound too bad. Try Phill's suggestions. Just make sure you offer her pleanty of variety and things that are easy to eat.. Also a good idea to make sure she has a bowl of water as well as a bottle.

Karen if she has pooed in the last hour then i wouln't worry too much she is possibly eating just not her normal amounts. As others have said to put your mind at rest ring the vets before they shut X

I agree that you need to contact your Vet. Your Bun may be in pain (hence reluctance to eat) so Vet may need to administer analgesia aswell as, possibly, a gut motility stimulant

Janex

I'm taking Molly in 6.05 tonight :(
I'm glad they are seeing her don't won't her to be in pain.....
let you all know later how my baby gets on..
Thanks all for your replys...
Karen x

karen354 said:
I'm taking Molly in 6.05 tonight :(
I'm glad they are seeing her don't won't her to be in pain.....
let you all know later how my baby gets on..
Thanks all for your replys...
Karen x

Try not to worry (not easy, I know) Molly may be an extra sensitive Bun and just feeling a bit sore has put her off her food. I am sure with pain relief and maybe gut motility meds Molly will perk up. Please let us know how you get on.

Janex

Have been out in Chester all day so have just read your posts. What a worry. Wishing you all the best for the visit to the vet tonight. I'm going out again before you'll be back so will check the posts again when I'm home later tonight. Thinking of you!

Hi, Okay we are home..
He gave her an injection for her appetite, steroid injection & I asked for some more painkiller (just incase my baby was still in any pain)...
He said she seemed well in herself & perky & felt the she was not eating because of the anaesthetic that she'd had yesterday..
If she's not eating by tea time tomorrow to take her back in..I'm going to try her favourite food again & see if she eats anything..

I thought I'd be charged for tonight but he didn't charge me anything..
Karen x

Back