• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Oh no she's a he!

ness

Young Bun
Following on from the thread below by me, it has turned out that the girl I was about to take in is infact a boy.
I, as usual, have become involved even though I haven't seen him and feel a duty to take him anyway so my questions are:
Can you ever bond boy rabbits, i presume not?
Is it cruel to keep two boy rabbits separately in the same garden? Will they feel constantly threatened by each other? Would they gain any benefit from having bunny company even though they are not bonded or living together.
I have a feeling i should continue looking for a lady for rupert, as he is my first concern, at his age he really should have someone to snuggle up to.
Any more help gratefully received.
Ness x

Hi,

It is possible to bond 2 boys (if neutered). Like any bunny pairing it depends on the buns. I have a male bonded pair and 2 trios (both 2 boys and a girl).

Good luck!

Bonding boys is still possible! Obviously if they are both nuetered it is likely to be easier. I'm not sure how much rabbits would benefit from being near each other but without any contact. I personally would rather they had a friend to live with.
I would consider all the possibilities if I were you. Would you be able to get both of them a friend each if a bonding didn't work out?

I have two four and a half year old boy buns (neutered) and both different breeds that live together quite happily. They have been inseperable since they were 4 months old :D Never ever fought.

my sisters have two bonded males both castrated as soon as they were old enough they are brothers and have always been inseperable.

Thanks for all your replys, I have chosen not to take on another boy. He's been readvertised (as a he!)so I'm sure he'll find a good home) I think the odds are stacked against us for a successfull bonding: Ruperts age, the fact the other boy has not been neutered, Ruperts personality. I am now looking again for a nice mellow lady of a certain age for him preferably with a hutch....... any suggestions?
Ness x

Back