• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Miffy has a gunky eye again :-( U/D a little better

Amethyst

Warren Veteran
Hi all,

I've booked her a vet appointment for tonight but in the interim what should I be doing? I've bathed her eye with warm water to get the gunk out, but that's it. It looks really rather sore and nasty, but there don't seem to be any wounds, so it looks like another blocked tear duct. :(

Also, what should the vet be looking for? Just so I can ask the right questioms and cover everything. I have some eye drops that he presrcibed last time she had gunky eyes but obviously I haven't administered any.

Any help gratefully received!

AMETHYST

Awwww poor Miffy :cry:

It may just be a touch of conjunctivitis rather than an actual blocked duct

Vet should check Miffy's cornea for scratches/ulcers. This is done by using a fluorescent dye. If the dye runs down her nose after, looking like bright green snot :shock: then the duct is not completely blocked.
It might be a good idea to ask the Vet to check Miffy's teeth too. And given her history of Snuffles to have a good listen to her lungs.

Janex

Jack's-Jane said:

Vet should check Miffy's cornea for scratches/ulcers. This is done by using a fluorescent dye. If the dye runs down her nose after, looking like bright green snot :shock: then the duct is not completely blocked.
It might be a good idea to ask the Vet to check Miffy's teeth too. And given her history of Snuffles to have a good listen to her lungs.

Janex

Thanks Jane, I will ask if they can do that (if they don't anyway, they should because they've always been very good!). I think we jinxed poor Miffy the other day when we were saying how wonderful it was that she got better! :?

AMETHYST

Amethyst said:
Jack's-Jane said:

Janex

Thanks Jane, I will ask if they can do that (if they don't anyway, they should because they've always been very good!). I think we jinxed poor Miffy the other day when we were saying how wonderful it was that she got better! :?

AMETHYST

Try not to worry too much (thats rich coming from me :roll: :lol: )
I am sure a course of Tiacil or Fucithalmic will have Miffy better :D
Janex

UPDATE: It's definitely a blocked duct again - vet tried to flush it but to no avail! :( She's had drops from the vets and I'm degunking her eye with cotton buds and warm sterilised water about 5 times a day. It's looking a little better now!

AMETHYST

Amethyst said:
UPDATE: It's definitely a blocked duct again - vet tried to flush it but to no avail! :( She's had drops from the vets and I'm degunking her eye with cotton buds and warm sterilised water about 5 times a day. It's looking a little better now!

AMETHYST

Glad to hear its a bit better. When you bathe it if you put very gentle pressure by the duct you may find some gunk comes out. The less debris that builds up the better to get the infection under control.

Janex

Back