• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

where to store hay/straw etc?

B

BRACKEN

I am just putting up my old dog kennel for my bunnies. Really excited and can't wait to see them in it! My hubbie has said I need to tell him eveything I want as he will only do all the work once. (fair enough!).

I am trying to find an extra run so that the kennel becomes L shaped to give the bunnies even more room. Whilst looking on ebay I was thinking about all the hay/straw/food ect and may try to put up some storage by the kennel so it easier when I clean them out. (currently everything is in the garage)

Just wondered if anyone has found any good storage units for the garden other than the obvious sheds?

I used to have a horse and we used to keep our hay and straw in a barn that used to have a slightly leaking roof. If hay and straw gets even a bit damp it will go mouldy and wont beable to be used as food or bedding so what ever you decide on for your stroage will have to be completely water proof!! Hope this helps. :D :D

I have a plastic chest type storage container in the garden that doubles up as a bench. I keep all of Jen's hay and straw in there - it's completely waterproof (even in the horrible rain and gales we have had recently!). I brought mine in the sale - £30 reduced from £60 :D

These are what I use

IMG_5356.jpg

Thanks - some good ideas. A wheelie is good as it could easily be moved, is not too expensive and the lid wont blow off like a dustbin! Ali- what a fantastic space. I wish my house was as tidy as that!

Linda

BRACKEN said:
Thanks - some good ideas. A wheelie is good as it could easily be moved, is not too expensive and the lid wont blow off like a dustbin! Ali- what a fantastic space. I wish my house was as tidy as that!

Linda

Thank you :D :D Ive thought of the wheelie bins before,but I have enough trouble storing the two we already have :shock: Walk around and see if you see any abandoned ones :lol: :lol: :lol:

The big black bins, you can get them for about £10 each from homebase etc. I have one for food, sawdust, hay and straw. I also use plastic tubs like Ali for "bits"

I have a large plastic crate on wheels which is quite sufficient for the hay. Need more storage though for all the other stuff!

I'm having this problem too.

I put hooks up in the shed and just hang everything from those, but not nice to look at, Oh dear something else for me to do look for storage.

Tell you this rabbit thing never ends, there is always something to be bought :lol:

nicole said:
I'm having this problem too.

I put hooks up in the shed and just hang everything from those, but not nice to look at, Oh dear something else for me to do look for storage.

Tell you this rabbit thing never ends, there is always something to be bought :lol:

Oh there is :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have one of the large cushion boxes from Homebase to keep my hay in. A bale fits in exactly and its waterproof as the lid overhangs all the way round, you can just see the lid and side in the corner of this pic. It was about £30 but I bought it 5 yrs ago and its still fine. It also has drainage holes in bottom which is useful when washing it out.
DSCN0490.jpg

Just another idea! xx Jess

buttons&thumper said:
I have one of the large cushion boxes from Homebase to keep my hay in. A bale fits in exactly and its waterproof as the lid overhangs all the way round, you can just see the lid and side in the corner of this pic. It was about £30 but I bought it 5 yrs ago and its still fine. It also has drainage holes in bottom which is useful when washing it out.
DSCN0490.jpg

Just another idea! xx Jess

Brilliant :D :D :D Add that to the ever growing list

Thank you - another good idea. It would be handy to have a seat by the run. I think I will go to some of the bid DIY stores and have a good look around!

Linda

Just thought I would mention that they do these in Argos - I was having a mooch at the catalogue today, think they are £29.99 or similar.... Definitely on my list of things to buy when I next get paid!

I keep mine in one of those small greenhouses/coldframes that have a metal frame with 2 zip up plastic doors.

It isn't very wide but hold a lot of stuff. It has 2 shelves in it too.

Kate x

Morrigan1981 said:
I have a plastic chest type storage container in the garden that doubles up as a bench. I keep all of Jen's hay and straw in there - it's completely waterproof (even in the horrible rain and gales we have had recently!). I brought mine in the sale - £30 reduced from £60 :D

Same, it's like a box with a lid to put all your garden kit in (or hay in our case!) Mine was £40 from B&Q and a bale fits nicely in it, it sits outside our back door and keeps the hay completely dry, even in the wettest weather. ht

We have a box in te shed (which they have the run of) to keep everything in! They like to sit on the box to!!!

Sue
xx

My stuff was all kept in the garage til the mice got to it....
I thought about one of those bench things, but I dont like having to get hay every week - I like to buy in bulk, so I bought a similiar thing of like a front and top opening storage container.... from b and q .. which is about 2 of those storage benches put together.

Back