• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Gizmo update

keileyoneill

Young Bun
Following my thread on Saturday re: should he be PTS, Gizmo had his teeth done on Monday which all went fine. The top set of molars werent too bad so it was just the bottom set that they had to be brutal with and they also think he may have a loose molar or tooth infection which we need to keep an eye on. Had to take him back to the vets this morning though as he is not happy, not his usual self, hardly eating or drinking and just sulking in the corner hardly moving. He has had some more painkiller, anti-inflamatory and antibiotic as the vet thinks he could just be sore due to the possible tooth infection so we need to give him until Friday to see if he improves before taking him back for futher investigation.

aawww.. well its good he's had his teeth done.. hopefully once its less sore he will start eating and feel alot better again.. keep us posted

TBH I would expect a Bun with a suspected tooth root infection to be on DAILY medication (antibiotics and pain relief) It really is VERY important to act quickly if a tooth root infection is likely. If Gizmo were my Bunny I would have to insist he had a course of abx/pain relief, not just one shot and then 'wait and see'. I would go back to the Vet tomorrow

Janex

Jack's-Jane said:
TBH I would expect a Bun with a suspected tooth root infection to be on DAILY medication (antibiotics and pain relief) It really is VERY important to act quickly if a tooth root infection is likely. If Gizmo were my Bunny I would have to insist he had a course of abx/pain relief, not just one shot and then 'wait and see'. I would go back to the Vet tomorrow

Janex

I agree with you there.

We agreed to give him until Friday as he had some more anti-inflamatory, painkiller and antibiotic at the vets on Wednesday. He is also known to sulk after an op and be a bit of a diva - he has done it before, refuses to eat and move when medically there is nothing wrong with him, he was especially bad after being spayed when we took him to the vets twice a day for a week before he got fed up of recovery food & baby food!!
He has picked up in himself and ran to greet me this morning but is still not eating properly although is now tugging at his water bottle which he does often. He hasnt touched his pellets and only nibbles at his veg - yesterday he managed to eat half a green leaf and a piece of carrot along with some fresh grass. My husband is convinced he is just sulking but I'm not convinced. He seems to be hungy and looks like he is desperate to eat but then after a few minutes he gives up nibbling and lies down, anyway if he is not eating better tomorrow then I am taking him back to the vet for further investigation.

Hi there.

My bunnies have sometimes taken a bit longer to get back to full eating after a dental. Others people haven't had as much of a problem though remember someone posting a while back whose bunny took even longer than mine.

Mind you, I don't know much about infections too. Can't be nice!

Fiona x

keileyoneill said:
We agreed to give him until Friday as he had some more anti-inflamatory, painkiller and antibiotic at the vets on Wednesday. He is also known to sulk after an op and be a bit of a diva - he has done it before, refuses to eat and move when medically there is nothing wrong with him, he was especially bad after being spayed when we took him to the vets twice a day for a week before he got fed up of recovery food & baby food!!
He has picked up in himself and ran to greet me this morning but is still not eating properly although is now tugging at his water bottle which he does often. He hasnt touched his pellets and only nibbles at his veg - yesterday he managed to eat half a green leaf and a piece of carrot along with some fresh grass. My husband is convinced he is just sulking but I'm not convinced. He seems to be hungy and looks like he is desperate to eat but then after a few minutes he gives up nibbling and lies down, anyway if he is not eating better tomorrow then I am taking him back to the vet for further investigation.

What you are describing is a classic case of a Rabbit with mouth pain :cry:
The medication he had on Wednesday will only last 24 hours which is why he should have Meds every day if a tooth root infection is suspected.
If he were my Bunny he'd be back at the Vets today. Toothache, particularly from infection is not nice at all... :cry:

Janex

Well surprise surprise he is back to normal!!! Yesterday we caught him 'playing' us on a few occassions - when he could see or hear us he would lie down in the corner looking sad then as soon as we left the room (and peeped round the door so he couldnt see us) he was up, jumping around and eating anything he could! Last night he went upstairs in his hutch which is his little haven and even ate some pellets.
This morning he was back to his usual self, greeting me with lots of jumps and snatching his green leaf from me......little imp!
I will keep an eye on him though over the next few days and watch how he is eating just incase he is still sore.

Back