• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sore paws

nicole

Mama Doe
My other bunny Mhairi is a mini rex, now i know that some are prone to sore hocks, but what about the pads on her front paws :?
While cutting her nails I noticed that her pads on her front feet look bald :shock: Is this normal?

The shed is covered in about 6"of straw, outside run is slabs :?
Can i put sudo crean on it?

Are they bleeding or just bald???? When Mia`s hocks look a bit red then i put a small amount of sudocream on them and that helps her.

If they are bleeding then she will need antibotics and a trip to the vet, my run has concrete slabs and I have covered them with rubber mats and a towel on top and that has really helped Mia`s hocks.

Sudocream is ok to use.

Mandy

God no, not bleeding, just pink/red?
Not like her hocks, I do put sudocrem on her hocks, just wondered if the baldness is ok? :D

I dont think they are supposed to be bald, but I guess rexes go balder more quickly as they have thinner fur?

Audrey's are completely bald and she still has a problem with them...they are often cracked and dry looking :( and she bites and licks them. The vet did say there wasnt much to be be done though apart from regularily applying fuciderm cream, which does seem to help.

I think I would just keep an eye on Mhairi's paws to check they are not getting worse.

I think a trip to the vets to get her checked out.
And I'll see if he has the fuciderm.
How well does it work? :D

Hi Nicole. Sorry to hear Mhairi's pads are a bit dodgy. I'm rubbish with these things so I wouldn't have a clue.. Hope she is ok (too much dancing at Dougal's party me thinks).

Fiona x

If a Rex is prone to sore hocks the front feet are often effected too. I would not use Fuciderm longterm as it contains a steroid.

I use either Aloe Vera Gel, Sudocrem or Haemorrhoid Cream :oops: which contains a local anaesthetic.

Janex

Jack's-Jane said:
If a Rex is prone to sore hocks the front feet are often effected too. I would not use Fuciderm longterm as it contains a steroid.

I use either Aloe Vera Gel, Sudocrem or Haemorrhoid Cream :oops: which contains a local anaesthetic.

Janex

thanks for that...the vet did say fuciderm may cause problems longterm :? I think she was hoping that using it regularily for a couple of weeks would solves the problem...but it doesnt seem to...it seems to work brilliantly whilst on a course of it, but every time I stop applying it Audrey is back to biting and licking after a few days.

At the moment I only put it on once every few days when I see her biting. Perhaps I will use sudocream now as i have some somewhere.

Hi Mandy. My rex had sore hocks and bald pads. which began to look a bit inflammed. My vet advised as much grasstime as possible and also gave me some cream to put on. Can't remember the name, but it is used for burns patients(humans). Her hocks are fantastic now - all nice and fluffy- and her pads also look so much better too. I've some before and after pictures I can post if you want and I'll also see if I can find the name of the cream.

I now think it is the slabs on the run thats causing the problem :(
I'm going to build a run on the grass for them, but only problem with that is it wont be any where near the shed.

Thanx for all the replys, I have been using sudocrem might try the haemorrhoid, will any do as I might have some upstairs :oops: :oops:

Why don`t you put something on the slabs in your run, I use rubber mats with towels on top which really helps Mia`s hocks.

You can see the brightly coloured towel in the pic

DSC_8378-1.jpg

When Mia arrived her hocks were red but now they are none red, but with no hair on them and I don`t need to use cream very much.

mandy

Could you not get some turf and place on top of the slabs so that it is softer for your bunnies feet?? I dont know if the grass will live for long tho and you would have to water it????

Maybe I am being stupid :roll:

my old bunny buddy used to get bald heels from scampering round on carpet. used to have dry faky skin on them too, but never raw or bleeding.

I used "sore paws" which i think i got from bunny bazzaar but not sure what its like, did the trick for buddy though

Thought about the rubber matting, but will need to make sure the run does not get wet, so thats another job for this year.

Again thank for all your kind help. :D

capel said:
Hi Mandy. My rex had sore hocks and bald pads. which began to look a bit inflammed. My vet advised as much grasstime as possible and also gave me some cream to put on. Can't remember the name, but it is used for burns patients(humans). Her hocks are fantastic now - all nice and fluffy- and her pads also look so much better too. I've some before and after pictures I can post if you want and I'll also see if I can find the name of the cream.

ooh yes please, that would be great thank you x

They're not too bad really, compared to how they were originally but they do cause her some irritation hence the licking and biting so it would be nice to solve it, or at least make it a bit better for her.

Here you are:
Sore hocks in July:
[IMG]http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j49/rex_06/DSC01272.jpg[/IMG
Photo taken last week:
DSC01672.jpg

The cream I was given is called FLAMAZINE and she was also on METACAM 1 drop every morning as far as I remember. OOps have to edit as only one pic has appeared...I'll try to post the first one again
DSC01272.jpg
[/img]

Aww first piccy does not work, but look at those fluffy paws :D

Does now :lol:

Poor feet, but what a diffrence, I cant wait to get this run sorted now, if only the rain would stop :lol:

Here's one of her front pads..not so clear but it will give you an idea for comparison with yours(or your bun's!!!!) lol
DSC01271.jpg
[/img]

btw that's my O/H holding her..I don't normally go topless in the garden :D Though I suppose the hairy chest gave the game away!!! Not to mention the grizzled beard!!!!

Aww she is cute :love: Yes just a bald :(
Well thanks for all your piccys and advice think the way to go is grass, grass, grass.
Stupid me for having slabs in the run :lol:
I want to get it sorted before it becomes a real problem. :D

Back