• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Baytril after Spay?

Mad Bunster

Mama Doe
Hello,

I've just been to collect Maddie after her spay - she ate all of her packed lunch while she was there and had been pooing and weeing after too. Shes now in the spare room on towels, with a bit of food if she wants it.

I'm happy with her for now, shes had Metacam, Metaclop', and fluids and is fairly active, but what I wasn't sure about is that the vets have given me a course of Baytril for her? Is this usual, or even necessary?

Oh and when did it get so expensive? I spayed my two girlies about 3 years ago and paid near what I've paid for one today!! Thats more than inflation!!

Jen was spayed last Thursday - the vet adminstered Metacam and the gut stimulant there, but I wasn't given a course of Baytril for her. I think it's pretty unusual, but perhaps it's just something that your vet does routinely? :?

It has got expensive - Jen's spay was nearly £70 :(

When Bella was spayed three months ago she was given a course of Baytril, I think some vets just give it as routine, just to make sure they get no infections,
Bella's spay was £94.34 :shock: :shock: :shock:

Morrigan1981 said:
:shock: £94???? Oh my goodness... that's extortionate!

I know :shock: When I phoned up to get a price, they told me £65.43, when I went to pick Bella up I was asked to pay before I saw the vet, and I was told £94 I nearly fell over, and needed a double brandy :lol: The rest was for her medication which I wasnt told about when I first phoned up :evil:

Blimey.... its like play your cards right! I can go higher!

£120 :shock: :shock:

I paid that for TWO ops three years ago at same vets.

Mad Bunster said:
Blimey.... its like play your cards right! I can go higher!

£120 :shock: :shock:

I paid that for TWO ops three years ago at same vets.

:shock: :shock: I thought I went to the most expensive vets in Lancs at £70 but £120 is extortionate. If you need to do another one have a trip to Longridge and see Karen and pop in for a coffee whilst you wait :D

Ooh Longridge - thats alot closer than my current vets! I've passed that one before and wondered, but you never know about changing surgeries do you - but a recommendation (and an invite) is brilliant!!

Will have a think about that thanks after her post-op checks are done - and once I've recovered from the shock!

Mad Bunster said:
Ooh Longridge - thats alot closer than my current vets! I've passed that one before and wondered, but you never know about changing surgeries do you - but a recommendation (and an invite) is brilliant!!

Will have a think about that thanks after her post-op checks are done - and once I've recovered from the shock!

You're welcome to pop in for coffee anyway, Gemma lives nearby too so we could all meet. The vet who owns the practice isn't that good with rabbits (told Gemma to have myxi and vhd at same time) but Karen's a lot better so now I ask to see her although she did advise me to try a guineapig with Pippa :roll: but I think I taught her that rabbits do bond when I took them both in to see her for MJ's vhd jab!!. She followed up one visit with a phone call to check on Pippa as she was concerned it was myxi (it wasn't thank goodness) which I thought was good. I'm sure there are more bunny savvy vets but I haven't found one yet.

I had Molly spayed today it cost £ 58.50.. I was quite pleased with that he give Molly's ears a good check aswell as she had 2 sore in then, he didn't charge me for that :)
The vet is excellent with Bunnies & I would of thought that our vet would of been expensive as the practice is almost in Chester which is a very pricey area for property...

Karen,
Did you get Baytril for Molly today? Seems some do, some don't...

No just looking at the sheet they gave me, she has had Baytril at the vets but none to bring home...

My poor girl isn't so good she's gone into her tunnel & won't come out..I've given her her fav food & water & she's had a new bed today but she must feel to ill to bother..
I asked the vets was she to have anymore painkillers tomorrow & he said no she's had painkillers today & shouldn't need anymore now..

Pickle came home with Baytril (enough for a few days) after her spey - I believe it's an antibiotic to stop infection? I could be wrong though! Getting her to take it was easier said than done...... She didn't have any more painkillers than what they gave her after the op, but she seemed ok after a days rest and recouperation!

Hope your bunny recovers well,

Vicky x

Just keep her warm and quiet. Tempt her with all her fave foods too. Im sure she will be fine Karen. Ive not been given baytril to take home after a spay.

I've had 3 buns speyed and they've all reacted differently to it. Elmo & Fozzie were really ill afterwards and they'd not had any painkillers given (3 years ago and I didn't know better) so I made sure Maddie got given them today.

The vet said that should last 48hours but depending on your bunny, I wouldn't be afraid to ask for some more if you think she needs it.

Elmo & Foz didn't even move for about 24 hours, again this wasn't great but they did get over it and suddenly started eating. Maddie is a rubbish bin and eats anything so I'm ok with that! She had Metaclopromide to try to prevent any tummy problems anyway.

Karen, all I can say is keep her warm and try to get her eating asap. Grated food or finely chopped food is good cos it releases all the smells and it might tempt her.

Good luck - keep us posted!

All mine recieve baytril at the vets after neutering. I do not administer any meds once they get home. I thinks its £65 for a spay and £55 for a castration.

Thumper is due to go in for spaying on thursday morning, the vet quoted us between £36-£70 but from reading your messages I will keep £70 in mind then I wont be shocked!

We are nervous about taking Thumper in ( we were the same with the dog etc....) but she is so much smaller and a precious little bundle its more scary. Thumper lives in a huge 2 storey hutch in the garage (but comes in the house to play as its chilly outside :D ) should I remove the ramp from her hutch to stop her going upstairs after her op? Also we didn't know that doe's should not have saw dust/straw etc in the hutch post-op; the only reason I am worried is we have tried thumper with 'vet-bed', towels/blankets etc but she is a shredder and nothing last two seconds, we dont want her to get cold; should we buy something to keep her indoors for a few days or try her again with vet bed etc as she may be alittle less inclined to shred everything feeling groggy post-op?

All advice is welcome :D

Mel & Jac

Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:58 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thumper is due to go in for spaying on thursday morning, the vet quoted us between £36-£70 but from reading your messages I will keep £70 in mind then I wont be shocked!

We are nervous about taking Thumper in ( we were the same with the dog etc....) but she is so much smaller and a precious little bundle its more scary. Thumper lives in a huge 2 storey hutch in the garage (but comes in the house to play as its chilly outside ) should I remove the ramp from her hutch to stop her going upstairs after her op? Also we didn't know that doe's should not have saw dust/straw etc in the hutch post-op; the only reason I am worried is we have tried thumper with 'vet-bed', towels/blankets etc but she is a shredder and nothing last two seconds, we dont want her to get cold; should we buy something to keep her indoors for a few days or try her again with vet bed etc as she may be alittle less inclined to shred everything feeling groggy post-op?

All advice is welcome

Mel & Jac

Hi, I was nervous about taking Molly in to be spayed.. I didn't sleep well at all the night before neither did my husband.
I would bring her into the house for a couple of nights if I was you.. Don't use any sawdust in the cage, I used towels & I kept the heating on low all night for Molly.. If you do put her in her hutch I would remove the ramp so she can't be climbing up & down...
I doubt she'll be up to shredding things when you get her home. My little Molly has been quiet since I brought her home last night shes just lying down..
If you can't bring your bun indoors then I'm sure she'll be okay in the garage just make sure she is as comfy as possible..

Hi Karen,

How is Molly this morning, has she eaten or pooed any? If she is still quiet by lunchtime I'd give the vets a call to see what they say.

When I had two done a few years ago I think they took until 3pm the next day before they started to perk up - it is a worrying time, so definately give the vets a call today - you don't want to leave her too long without eating.

Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:03 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Karen,

How is Molly this morning, has she eaten or pooed any? If she is still quiet by lunchtime I'd give the vets a call to see what they say.

When I had two done a few years ago I think they took until 3pm the next day before they started to perk up - it is a worrying time, so definately give the vets a call today - you don't want to leave her too long without eating.

Hi, she's moving around a little but very quiet.. She not eaten but has had a little drink.. She has wee'd a pooed..
Poor little girl I feel so sorry for her she's usually so lively.

Thanks for asking about Molly, I'll let you know how she is sometime tonight..

Back