• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I feel awful

Well you may have read about the exploits of Zeb lately. To cut a long story short he's hit puberty and is a nightmare. And he keeps on escaping from his pen on a night. The rest of the time he spends trying to escape and making as much noise as possible.

At the moment he is spoilt rotten - he pen is basically a section of our lovely new (intended to be rabbit free) bedroom so its a massive 14 foot by 3 foot. It started off 7x3 but i had to incorporate the radiator and a large area around it so he couldnt use it to climb up.

Well the new neighbours will be moving in soon and i dont want to get off to a bad start with him waking them all night so I've just ordered a 4 foot dog cage. My intentions are to cage him in this from 11pm to 6am (as i dont think he could make that much noise and i can put it in the far end of his pen).

Am I being cruel though? He'll have the full run of his pen all day and he gets let out into the rest of the house on an evening. It will only be for a month or so until he's done & I can bond him with Frida and move him into her room. (Which is "only" 8x5 so he'll be in for a shock anyway :lol: ). I know that the cage isnt really as big as it should be but theres no point in adding a small run to it as he'll spend all night hurling himself against that.

I feel terrible but I'm getting no sleep, he keeps on peeing on me when he escapes which was a bit amusing to begin with but now its just vile and I'm sick of having to return him to his pen at 3am. Incidentally Gail sleeps through all of this bah humbug!

why should you feel awful? My pair have the run of downstairs in the day, but at night they are in their 42" dog crate. They have 2 shelves in it, a hay box, litter tray and a cat pyramid thing to hide in. They don't mind at all, and after all, I need to be sure they are safe, and not destroying everything in sight :shock:

I think its quite reasonable to lock them in some form of cage/pen/hutch overnight

I feel a bit better now :)

I dont lock any of the others up - I did when Gus was a baby but now I can trust him he shares a room with Lola.

Thankfully Bracken was old and very placid when we got her, and although Frida is territorial she doesnt destroy anything and she doesnt act like Houdini!

Still I think a pen is the best thing for Zeb until he's calmed down a bit. He is getting booked in for a neuter as soon as he reaches 4 months so I'll reassess things then. And look forward to a good nights sleep :lol:

See my story from the other thread. Tuff, hutch for the night!

norah said:
Just seen this thread and it seems there is no answer, all down to bunny's individuality. We're struggling at the mo as Norah used to be a star pupil and then just flipped for no obvious reason and now poo's and wee's outside her trays :( She's a part time house bun, but we do take her to the hutch when we can't keep an eye on her due to chewing issues (haven't got a spare room) and for the night. She HATES it so trying to compromise and give her a chance from time to time. Well some nights are ok, she goes to sleep under our bed and not a sound till morning; but some are horrid like last night i only got about 2 hrs sleep cos she again kept jumping into our bed. cuddles up for 5 mins then wants to shred pillows and sit on our heads; if we shut the door she trashes it forever. I ended up snoozing on the sofa with her only then she calmed down :( what it's all about...

Awww don,t feel awful he will be absolutely fine :D .As for Gail sleeping through it all night sounds like my OH when my dog is moaning to go out at 3.00am and its always me that wakes up and lets her out :? :lol: :lol:

Back