• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Grace has a retro bulbular abcess U/D 10/01/07

TheGaffer

Mama Doe
Been to the vets today as she is no better and the vet thinks its an abcess in her eye socket. Her eye has been pushed forward making it bulge. :cry: And she still not eating or pooing, the vet said her teeth were really bad which puts us in a catch 22 situation for what to do.

The vet thinks he needs to sort the teeth out to improve her eating, and also have a look at the abcess to decide whether it needs surgical intervention.

He painted a very bleak picture with regards to pulling through this
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: I'm so upset, i've never had to deal with the prospect of losing a bun before, and Grace is such a lovely girl.

She's booked in for tomorrow morning, vet said they'll observe her for a while and assess how alert she seems before going ahead with the GA.

She's had some painrelief so hopefully she'll feel a bit better this evening.

Nicola

Nicola, I'm so sorry about Grace - my thoughts and prayers are with you both - hope she pulls through.x

I am so sorry to read this :cry:
Is Grace on any other Meds to try to get her tum going in preparation for tomorrow? Is she staying at the Vets tonight?

I really hope that your Vet can help poor Grace

Janex

Jane, no I brought her home, she lives in the spare bedroom so I thought she'd be more comfortable in familiar surroundings.

Vet gave some metochlopramide earlier, and she's now eating a bit and we have poo!!! The painkiller has kicked in cos she's more chirpy. This puts her in a bit of a better position for tomorrow....

Thanks for everyones support. it is appreciated

Nicola[/quote]

Awwww i`m so sorry to hear that Grace is so poorly.
Here`s sending bucket loads of positive vibes for tomorrow.

Su.x

Berri had an abscess under her eye socket, making the eye bulge out, exactly like how you described Grace, although she had no other problems what so ever.

That was in August, we took her to the vets, and he said it was glaucoma, :? :evil: I knew it was an abscess so we went to another vet, and he confirmed it. The abscess grew a little, and came out under the eye if you know what I mean (you could feel the bottom of it, kinda hard to describe)

Anyway, that made it possible for it to be drained without surgery, which was done. The eye went down :) , although not fully, we think it never will.

The vet was surprised that she'd made it when we brought her back just before xmas, in the beginning he thought she'd have to be PTS, but things are looking good for her now! :D I hope that's encouraging for you! xxx

I know how worrying abscesses can be- Berri's had more since :( (in her dewlap and her jaw which is obviously easier to treat than under the eye) but since the last ones have gone, nothing else, and she was never affected in any other way.

So, sending positive vibes to you and Grace, I hope she come through this ok :)

We had Grace PTS this morning. The vet felt that the abcess could not be drained due to its position. He thought that she had now gone blind in that eye aswell and she was in a lot of pain. He offered the option of having her eye removed, but that would have left her with a hole in the side of her face and I feel it would have been too much for her to cope with. We are so upset to have had to make this decision. We were with her at the end and she knew we loved her............................................................................................................................................

Back