• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

outdoor or huse bunny

00Geordie

Warren Scout
I am considering for when I get a other lionhead to have him/her as a house bunny as ive read there get a longer life and better health plus you get more from your rabbit. Outside hutch is 4 x 3 x2ft where inside I can offer rabbit it's own room of 6ft x 2ft plus 2ft x 2ft sleeping area so that make a space 8ft x 2ft> and sould be enogh space to have two house bunnys. But do there make noice as room has wood floor and is right next to bedroom and there have a ton of toys to play with plus floor is tiled so easy to clean.

I think your hutch is a little small for two bunnies so being house rabbits would be great!!
I don't know if they live longer but it really is a great way to get to know your rabbits! I love having rabbits in the house.
Some things to think about though . . .
*Some rabbits are brilliantly litter trained, others liked to do it everywhere and never lean to use a litter tray so is your flooring up to it?!
*Can you bunny proof the room? I work onthe principal that if I REALLY don't want it chewed thenn it has to be out of reach. Wallpaper, carpets, wires and furniture can all be targets! Of course some buns don't chew your stuff, but best to be prepared!!

They may be noisy, it all depends on the rabbit. If you have a dog crate or simialr for sleeping then they may chew the bars or thump around on the floor. My house buns were quite noisy but I found I got used to it after a while and it didn't bother me.

ive read there get a longer life and better health plus you get more from your rabbit

A rabbit will have a longer life and better health if it is looked after properly, I dont think it depends if its indoors or outdoors

Trip made lots of noise in the house when he was living in my room but I just swapped his toys for quieter ones at night so he wasnt throwing rattles and things about :D

You will need to bunny proof the house :D

No cables as all inside wall no wallpaper as painted walls and no furniture just use for all my tools wish are all on high sleves. So total bunny proof as for mess well whats a bit mess so long as rabbits are happy as floor easy to clean.

00Geordie said:
No cables as all inside wall no wallpaper as painted walls and no furniture just use for all my tools wish are all on high sleves. So total bunny proof as for mess well whats a bit mess so long as rabbits are happy as floor easy to clean.

I think that sounds great. I am very tempted to strip my walls and paint them but I don't think the land lord would be too happy, it would deffinatley make for an easier life though.

00Geordie said:

That sounds ideal, wish I had a room like that :D

I'd defo go with the house bunny option - I have 6 of them in a bunny-proofed living room! :D

AMETHYST

I have both indoor and outdoor rabbits and i actually think they all prefer it outside, except for Fudge who likes winter indoors and spring/summer outdoors :lol:

If you can keep them in with a daily outside session they would have the best of both worlds!

00Geordie said:

Should be perfect then!
You will really enjoy having them around! :D

Just been offered a black buck lionhead or two buck chocolate colour lionheads or all three. I am temted to take all three but I don't think I be able to give them all the time & care there would derserve not to mention the vets bills what with my other animals I have plus I still want a ragdoll kitten in the future . So I'm going to take the black buck as he is replacment for the one I lost a week ago from breeder. then i get a white one down the line as a buddy for him. I'm collecting him tomorrow morning. I then book into vets for early next week for a check up and talk about vacs & neutering etc.

touie said:
I have both indoor and outdoor rabbits and i actually think they all prefer it outside, except for Fudge who likes winter indoors and spring/summer outdoors :lol:

I think thats a great idea! :) Tills used to be a house bun (til October) and she would go crazy if she didnt have lots of time outdoors every day. Think next winter i'll have her back in :oops:, but I think its great for them to get some sunshine & live out during spring/summer :) X

Back