• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Strange bonding behavior/a breaking bond?

linuxn00b2004

Young Bun
Greetings, y'all.

I have a quick question dealing with my girlfriend's rabbits.

She has had two rabbits since they were about four weeks old, a male and female pair (male: Hermes, female: Persephone). They have always gotten along wonderfully, and Hermes has almost always been the a-tad-bit more passive/submissive with only occasional attempts at mounting. They are both fixed, and have been since it was first possible to do so. As I said, they are both a very well bonded pair.

Well, recently, Bethany (my girlfriend) was in town, and we visited PetCo, and found a mini-lop we both liked, and she decided to adopt it [this is the first time apparently PetCo has done this]). Nike, the new mini-lop, is fairly well tempered, and is pretty affectionate. However, she is not fixed, and probably will not be for the next several months while Bethany saves up funds.

Now, here is the puzzler. When Bethany brought in Nike (she has her own cage) in a relatively short period of time, Hermes and Persephone (the well-bonded pair) began to fight, which they have never done. They have generally just been short tempered with each other, both starting fights on and off, since the new rabbit came in. Now, we want to know why this is occurring.
Is this happening, because the Nike, the unspayed female is releasing some smell that Hermes, the neutered male, really likes? Or is Persephone just generally irritated and mad that there is fertile female around? Is there a new pecking order that is being established?
Please remember that Persephone and Hermes are doing this fighting *in their own cage* and this is not occurring during a meeting session or anything such.
Thank you for reading, and I look forward to your advice/theories/solutions.

- Greg

Some bonded pairs do fight when they see/smell another rabbit. It has nothing to do with whether the new bun is spayed/neutered, at least not from what I've seen. It's more from misplaced aggression. When rabbits are scared or upset they sometimes take it out on whoever is closest which is usually their bondmate. They're probably upset because there is another rabbit in their territory.

It would be best to keep Nike somewhere where your other two can not see her. If they're still acting up, then I'm sorry to say it might not be possible to have another rabbit in the house. It does happen sometimes.

I agree - even loved up bonded pairs will sometimes fight if another rabbit is in the vicinity. Don't panic though, it doesn't mean the three can't be bonded, (if that's what you are planning) just that you will need to keep Nike away from where the other two concider their territory to be and when you introduce them make sure it is a neutral place and that you really clean and disinfect where they are all going to live so none of them concider it to be their own. Good Luck!

Hi,

It amy calm down over time over time. When we introduced a new female into the same room as 2 bonded males the males were not happy for a couple of days but did get over it.

Another bonded pair I have were not happy when they could see another rabbit. They only calmed down when we bonded the 3rd rabbit into the group.

Good luck.

I agree too :D Quite normal for an already bonded pair to squabble when they smell a new bunny. They should settle down again soon.
I loce the name Persephone :D

Hey y'all, thanks for the information! I appreciate all the quick responses. When I get back to my dorm room, I'll take Nike, so they don't have to share space until they are bonded.

I've been learning a lot simply by reading through these forums. Hopefully, it'll keep me from making some mistakes. Thanks again!

- Greg

Back