• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Astrex Gene

Carol X

Alpha Buck
Hi everyone,
I was just wondering if anyone could shed a little light on this please. :oops:

I have seen this quite a lot as I read though the for sale pages.
What does Astrex gene mean? Most of the time it states, to a pet home only, no breeding. I guess as the bunny is not suitable for breeding it has something to do with how the babies may turn out . What could happen?
Thanks
Carol X

I wondered about that...I have seen has astrex gene, but could still breed :shock: Is that a health thing?

Extract from the above webpage.....

"The original Astrex buck had such bad feet that efforts were made to breed from him before he was euthanased. He was put back to his mother (the Silver Fox) and produced an Astrex. He was also put with his sister and this too produced Astrex".

That instills the faith in breeders even more, all for the sake of a 'rare' bunny :( no offence to decent breeders :)

So they are breeding them just because they have a wavy coat, damned whether or not the rest of the bun is healthy, so long as it has wavy coat :twisted:

The same happens with other breeds though, dwarves getting teeth problems, giant breeds living shorter lives because of the strain on their heart, long haired breeds being more prone to flystrike if not kept clean, rexes being more prone to sore hocks, etc.
Human nature is just a very selfish thing, everyone wants something new and different, and rare things are even more sought after

Karly said:
The same happens with other breeds though, dwarves getting teeth problems, giant breeds living shorter lives because of the strain on their heart, long haired breeds being more prone to flystrike if not kept clean, rexes being more prone to sore hocks, etc.
Human nature is just a very selfish thing, everyone wants something new and different, and rare things are even more sought after

It's the same with all animals. Quite sad really :cry:

But i guess a lot of breeders must see the astrex gene as undesirable as that info is usually accompanied by 'unsuitable for breeding' :?

Back