• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Our doggie addition :o)

ShivyRex

Mama Doe
Meet Snowy :D She is a blue merle collie cross. She has been brought home to Plymouth to live with us after changing circumstances with my b/f's family in London meant she wasn't being cared for properly. She was being left for long hours and, as she is 12 and a half, started weeing and pooing in the house.

We couldn't leave her there so brought her home to live with us and is settling in well. As you can see from the phots she has very bad eyes. She is completely blind in the left eye and not far off in the other apart from shadows and light. She was born with bad eyes and her left eye is smaller than the other which has caused it to go as bad as it has. She isn't in pain with it though. She is starting to go deaf as well so we'll have to monitor that and decide when they have both deteriorated too much to have a good quality of life :cry:

Anyhoo here are some pics and a vid of her playing with her new toy - people in the park on the weekend thought she was a puppy not almost 13. You can see she is still young at heart and not phased.....:D

Snowy1.jpg

Sleeping...
snowysleep.jpg

Eyes close up...
snowyeyes.jpg

In the car on the way...
snowycar.jpg

Vid - so cute!

Shiv, Zion, Fia & Snowy xXXx

aw bless her :love: :love:
was she the result of mating 2 merles by any chance? she looks all bc to me and i know this 'mistake' (in breeding) is all too common.
i know it can cause some terrible problems, and she looks just like i imagined another dog being described to me who was the result of merle x merle.
she reminds me of tikki :love:

Awww thanks everyone. I am not sure about the specifics of her parents to be honest. b/f's parent got her for him when he was 12 and I think they went to a neighbour to get her so I think it was a kind of accidental litter or one just to make money :? I suppose they didn't know any better at the time. The eye vet said it was a genetic issue so it sounds likely that both her parent were merles.

Bless her. She had a bit of a bad night last night. She was pacing all around the upstairs for ages. In the end I had to go and sleep on the futon with her. I hope she is just a bit confused and not going senile. oh well we'll have to see.

Thanks again for all your lovely comments.

Shiv xXXx

oh bless her heart :love:
tikki quite likes the radio being left on quietly at night, and he also has one of those halogen safety heaters that i sometimes leave on for him. if he is extra snug he doesnt pace too much :wink:
have you thought about giving her a crate?, not to shut her in, but you can drape a blanky over it and make her a cave to rest up in. very comforting for most doglets!
i also feed mine just before bed, full tummies = a good nights kip. i do have to get up at stupid o'clock in the morning and let them out anyway so if you like a lie in, praps not the best idea :lol:

Awww what a lovely girl ! Good on you for giving her the home she needed with more human time :D xx

She's absolutely stunning please give her kisses!
Its really hard being with an older dog, cos you neer know whats round the corner :( But I reallly hope she has years left in her, specially now shes got the proper TLC she needs

colliewoman said:
oh bless her heart :love:
tikki quite likes the radio being left on quietly at night, and he also has one of those halogen safety heaters that i sometimes leave on for him. if he is extra snug he doesnt pace too much :wink:
have you thought about giving her a crate?, not to shut her in, but you can drape a blanky over it and make her a cave to rest up in. very comforting for most doglets!
i also feed mine just before bed, full tummies = a good nights kip. i do have to get up at stupid o'clock in the morning and let them out anyway so if you like a lie in, praps not the best idea :lol:

The radio may be a good idea. I may give that a go after seeing how she gets on tonight.

She is interested in the buns but I think for all the wrong reasons. She was never too keen on cats so I think they are little moving creatures to her that she cannot see very well.

i haven't really thought about giving her a crate. She really likes her dog beds and when she is chilled out she stays there for ages so I don't think a crate will make any difference. We have just ordered her a new bed so hopefully that will work.

I will see how she gets on tonight. The vet did give her some tablets for her brain to stop her getting confused but we wasn't given when we collected her. We may need to get the london vet to transfer the notes to my vets and see if she needs them represcribing.

Have you got any advice on dog food? She was raised on Bakers complete which I know isn't great but she wasn't my dog. Since she has been here she hasn't touched the bakers on its own and will only eat rice and chicken or wet food mixed in with the bakers. We bought her a pack of food from P@H which is made up from meat, rice and carrot and she wolfs that down. It looks like she isn't going to eat the baker on its own so can anyone recommend any good quality meaty food to mix in with it so she will eat? My friend recommended putting gravy over it.

Anyhoo thanks for all your comments and help :D

hi hun!
i cant help with recommendations for dog food as i dont use the stuff :lol:
but, i really dont think that gravy is a good idea as it is sky high in salt, not what elderly doglet kidneys need at all.
have you tried warming the food? sometimes with an older animal the sense of smell starts to wane and then food isnt so interesting. warming it up a little makes it stinkier :wink:
barker and barker do a dried liver powder that you can sprinkle onto food, i have yet to meet a dog that can refuse a barker and barker liver treat and this is the same stuff just in powder form 8)
bizzyvicki should be able to help recommend a decent food, praps give her a pm?
if bakers isnt the greatest then i would try her on something else (she would be on raw if she lived here), i 'think' burns is supposed to be a good one......
you do want to make sure that the food you choose has a high quality protien source, all the better for oldies livers and kidleys etc :D

though actually, on second thoughts, i think the best thing for her would be for you to send her to me.

snowy and tikki sitting in a tree k . i . s . s . i . n . g :love: :love:

'hi! how you doin'?'
secretworldmyanimals067.jpg

:lol: :lol: :lol:

(please forgive the runny eyes and dribble, this was a few months ago when he had had a bit of a relapse :( he's much better now :D )

Hehehehe awwwww. They do look similar bless em! i don't think my b/f would part with her now though haha

Thanks for the suggestions. I will have a look around. it's the protein issue that was causing issues for me. Reading the ingredients on all the other stuff in the shops is shocking. Hopefully I will find something. I will PM bizzyvicki and see what she suggests.

Thanks again

Shiv

when our dogs were fed dog food we would sometimes mix a little of this in

http://www.naturesmenu.co.uk/

then again with 2 spaniels and a lab we have never had appetite issues :lol: could be worth a try though

not sure what protein amount it should be but their pouched food ranges 9-11% (they used to do it in trays not sure if they still do, they also do a dry biscuit (either complete or mixer) which is about 15-20% protein :D
she is gorgeous btw, always a sucker for collies :love:

(Tikki is gorgeous too :love: :D)

Awww bless her I think she's lovely, and I bet Joe(?) is really pleased 2 have her home with u's now, aftr bein away frm her. Seems right she started out with him and thy grew 2gether, so she should spend her last with him 2 eh. Dear old thing. SHe wasnt giving that toy up for anything tho eh! :)

Back